mobilejay

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion CB '09, Focus RS '16, Lexus NXT 15'
No. I think that would turn them glossy
A ceramic coating won't turn a matte finish (or in this case the black plastic) glossy. These coatings will keep the same finish and will just add protection to the area. Now if you apply glossy ppf to a matte paint or surface it will give a weird glossy appearance, thats where the matte version will come into play.
Sponsored

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
A ceramic coating won't turn a matte finish (or in this case the black plastic) glossy. These coatings will keep the same finish and will just add protection to the area. Now if you apply glossy ppf to a matte paint or surface it will give a weird glossy appearance, thats where the matte version will come into play.
Doh! I thought we were talking about ppf. lol

mobilejay

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion CB '09, Focus RS '16, Lexus NXT 15'
Doh! I thought we were talking about ppf. lol
no worries and actually ppf can’t be applied to the fenders or the black top due to the texture. Even though it is very small anything other than a perfectly smooth surface will create tiny air pockets and those little pockets will look like white dots. So the best thing to do is coat the black panels.

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
Im going to do good old fashioned wax. Although I think this guy has an interesting idea.

Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 1.09.53 PM.png

OP
OP
Arkewn

Arkewn

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Has anyone even attempted to purchase a pre-cut PPF kit and apply it themselves? I've tinted a few vehicles and feel pretty confident in the application if I didn't have to measure or make the cuts. I still may cave and have a shop do the front grill. Large flatter surfaces like hoods & doors I think I can handle.

My JLU order has been placed! I better figure out my PPF options asap! The only site I've found online that seems to cater to this is below. Anyone have a different suggestion? I'm leaning XPEL but could go 3M as well.

http://www.tintzoom.com/Paint-Protection-Film-Kits-s/1443.htm

Sponsored

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
I recommend letting a shop do it, there is an art to it and the good installers wrap the edges and its pretty hard to tell the vehicle has been wrapped. Taking mine Friday to have hood and grill wrapped (don't have color fenders), this is my 4th vehicle that I am having wrapped and I have been extremely please, also bugs just hose off, good investment IMHO....

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I agree ^ - I've had dealers do PPF jobs on my cars before and the difference between even a dealer and a high end detailer installing this stuff is night and day. My BMW dealer didn't form fit the stuff or anything. I'm guessing they just used pre-cut stuff so you could blatantly see it not being rolled to the edge of mirrors or logos, etc. BMWs have recessed logos and a circle around them and you could see that they stopped the film before it even entered the recession before it got anywhere near the logo.

I didn't even know detailers would wrap the edges until I saw a REAL Xpel Ultimate install going on. It was invisible.

It winds up looking like someone stuck a sticker on your car.

OP
OP
Arkewn

Arkewn

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Good input on the cut & finish! I did speak with a local XPEL installer who seemed willing to work with me to do part of the install and sell me film for areas I want to tackle myself. I am admittedly trying to save a buck (to spend those dollars on other Jeep parts) but I think I am leaning towards having a pro do the front half. I still think I can handle doing the flat sides/doors and even if I do a crappy job I'll just do it again a 2nd time after I scratch up that film beyond repair. Some of the trails I've been on get pretty tight on the branches that is what I really want the XPEL to mitigate the paint scratches.

Now I just need to figure out if its worth doing the ceramic coating & brand on top of PPF for the compounding benefits - and do that myself as well :)

Apoth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR (Ordered)
I recommend letting a shop do it, there is an art to it and the good installers wrap the edges and its pretty hard to tell the vehicle has been wrapped. Taking mine Friday to have hood and grill wrapped (don't have color fenders), this is my 4th vehicle that I am having wrapped and I have been extremely please, also bugs just hose off, good investment IMHO....
Which PPF are you going with? I just got mine back, full wrapped in XPEL, I wouldn't say that bugs hose off super easy (love bugs anyways). Although I didn't get ceramic coating over the wrap either.

FUBAR

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I just had my JLUR covered in XPEL Ultimate. I covered everything except the hard top, fenders, grill and tailgate. I didn’t bother with the grill because my last jeep I had for 10 years didn’t have any rock chips. My main concern is light tree branches down the sides. I was very impressed with how the film covered the rubicon stickers.
Did the installer cut around the Rubicon decals or just cover them entirely? Do you see any bubbling around the stickers? I'm considering having my hood done and possibly front grill. Thanks!

Sponsored

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
I had the installer cover the decals but he removed the hood vents and the two hood latches, no bubbling anywhere, they guy I use is one of the best in the business, he did an amazing job on the grill and the area below the grill and the sides...

Apoth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR (Ordered)
Did the installer cut around the Rubicon decals or just cover them entirely? Do you see any bubbling around the stickers? I'm considering having my hood done and possibly front grill. Thanks!
Not sure if color has anything to do with it but I can clearly see an outline around my Rubicon stickers that were wrapped over.

OP
OP
Arkewn

Arkewn

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Not sure if color has anything to do with it but I can clearly see an outline around my Rubicon stickers that were wrapped over.
Got any pictures you can share so we can see how pronounced that is? tnx!

Jlrut

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Sahara sold: 2dr Rub ordered 1/17 traded: 2019 2 door picked up 12/27
Decontaminating/clay bar prep for PPF. More to come! My detail guy at Jay's detail taking a break from Tesla’s, Skyline's and Beamer's to tackle my Rubi.
3C0B248E-450C-4FC8-9D27-4A1D036AA8AE.jpeg
Did they remove the front fenders for the installation?
Thanks

aCeMedic13

First Name
Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
Did they remove the front fenders for the installation?
Thanks
Yah. He had to buy new rivets since they are one time use.
Sponsored