XPEL

First Name
XPEL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Paint Protection Films...
I've read quite a few random posts recently paint protection. There are some good comments here and there about options like ceramic coatings which seem like a no brainer - especially if you are willing to do it yourself.

I'm surprised there isn't more in depth discussion about protection films for Jeeps? It does appear to be more marketed for sports cars. But having dragged my Jeep through enough trails where branches are attacking my doors and paint it makes me want some real scratch protection once if I trade up to a $50k JL Rubi. Especially if I end up with Granite Crystal or some darker color that will show those marks much more than my current silver paint.

Anyone done films on a Jeep? What does it cost? How well does it protect against trail damage? Does it last and hold up more than a few years? What else is there? Obviously the best time to do any of this a close to purchase as possible so I want to have a plan ready to go!
Jeeps are very popular when it comes to XPEL Paint Protection Films. Our XPEL ULTIMATE film is backed by a 10 Year Warranty that covers yellowing, staining, lifting, peeling, hazing, and more. It's also the world's very first self-healing film. Which means that fine scratches and swirl marks you get from trail driving will go away with the heat of the sun. Additionally, the film is much easier to clean due to a low surface energy which basically means that the film is more slippery than your paint. Bug guts, bird poop, and mud, won't stick to the film as easily, and if it does, it'll come off much easier.

Check out this video we made last year for Jeep Jamboree of XPEL ULTIMATE being installed on a JK Rubi. - XPEL Jeep JK Rubi Installation. We do have a new video in the works with this years JL Rubi Unlimited that you'll see out at all the Jeep Jamboree events for 2018.

In regards to cost, it will vary based on location due to installer experience, labor rates, and coverage. But here are some rates that you can expect.
  • Front Grille $450 - $650
  • Front Grille, Full Hood and Fenders with Flares $1,450 +
  • A-Pillar Kit $350 +
  • Other Coverage Available by Request. Just ask your installer about certain areas you wish to protect.
**Again, these are general quotes. To get an accurate quote, visit our XPEL Certified Installer Locator here at XPEL.com/Locator

To answer your ceramic coating question -- it is 100% okay to put ceramic coatings on TOP of the XPEL. Just never underneath as it could interfere with adhesion over time so just make sure to put the XPEL on first.

Hope this info helps, let us know if we can help answer any other questions.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Decontaminating/clay bar prep for PPF. More to come! My detail guy at Jay's detail taking a break from Tesla’s, Skyline's and Beamer's to tackle my Rubi.
3C0B248E-450C-4FC8-9D27-4A1D036AA8AE.jpeg
So what did they do with the hinges? Were those filmed over too?

aCeMedic13

First Name
Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
So what did they do with the hinges? Were those filmed over too?
I specifically asked the hinges be wrapped as they take rock damage. The bulging sides of the hinges are left alone however. (The round portion is covered) I’ll have to see how they turned out.

I’m supposed to go pick it up today before work. I’ve been going through Jeep withdrawals for 4 days. Jay custom wrapped the entire Jeep! Definetly takes time to do it that way. The cquartz ceramic coating was placed this morning on top of the Suntek film. I also had ceramic IR window tint placed yesterday. I’ll have more pics soon. He’s also going to put it up on his blog to show the process since he put so much time into it.

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
I’ve had great experience with cquartz has been on my truck for 1.5 years and still strong. Truck is always outside baking on the sun in the summer and gets brine and salt all over it in the winter. I always properly hand wash my self with 2 bucket method along foam cannon and apply “reload” about every 3-6 months.

Sponsored

cjsam2004

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Jeeps are very popular when it comes to XPEL Paint Protection Films. Our XPEL ULTIMATE film is backed by a 10 Year Warranty that covers yellowing, staining, lifting, peeling, hazing, and more. It's also the world's very first self-healing film. Which means that fine scratches and swirl marks you get from trail driving will go away with the heat of the sun. Additionally, the film is much easier to clean due to a low surface energy which basically means that the film is more slippery than your paint. Bug guts, bird poop, and mud, won't stick to the film as easily, and if it does, it'll come off much easier.

Check out this video we made last year for Jeep Jamboree of XPEL ULTIMATE being installed on a JK Rubi. - XPEL Jeep JK Rubi Installation. We do have a new video in the works with this years JL Rubi Unlimited that you'll see out at all the Jeep Jamboree events for 2018.

In regards to cost, it will vary based on location due to installer experience, labor rates, and coverage. But here are some rates that you can expect.
  • Front Grille $450 - $650
  • Front Grille, Full Hood and Fenders with Flares $1,450 +
  • A-Pillar Kit $350 +
  • Other Coverage Available by Request. Just ask your installer about certain areas you wish to protect.
**Again, these are general quotes. To get an accurate quote, visit our XPEL Certified Installer Locator here at XPEL.com/Locator

To answer your ceramic coating question -- it is 100% okay to put ceramic coatings on TOP of the XPEL. Just never underneath as it could interfere with adhesion over time so just make sure to put the XPEL on first.

Hope this info helps, let us know if we can help answer any other questions.
Your online paint protection kit search for 2018 JLUR does not show precut pattern for full hood, Is there one available at all ?

I’d really like to get the full hood done. Did anyone else have this issue, and is there a work around for it ?

aCeMedic13

First Name
Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
Got her back yesterday.

8C36F947-855E-4C59-AFAD-9DB02B3774AE.jpeg

3B756ADD-31DB-4D79-AAFD-37B159633DF4.jpeg

6219F32B-8268-4459-AA4E-4131F3EAC25C.jpeg

aCeMedic13

First Name
Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
Your online paint protection kit search for 2018 JLUR does not show precut pattern for full hood, Is there one available at all ?

I’d really like to get the full hood done. Did anyone else have this issue, and is there a work around for it ?
You can find someone good that can custom cut it. My detailer custom did the whole jeep. I used Suntek film, not Xpel.

XPEL

First Name
XPEL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon

This is an excellent question. Full hoods are often not patterned due to the sheer size of the panel. 90% of the time it's easier to bulk or custom cut the XPEL for the hood as you will be able to pull the excess film on the sides to stretch the film onto the hood easier. So you'll easily be able to get the full hood done an at XPEL installer nearest you. The other 10% of the time is when the hood is much smaller so a pre-cut template makes it a lot easier to install. I hope this answered your question. Let us know if we can answer any others.

Sponsored

bdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@XPEL For a full hood wrap, do you recommend removing the Rubicon hood decal and placing a new one over the paint protection?

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
This is an excellent question. Full hoods are often not patterned due to the sheer size of the panel. 90% of the time it's easier to bulk or custom cut the XPEL for the hood as you will be able to pull the excess film on the sides to stretch the film onto the hood easier. So you'll easily be able to get the full hood done an at XPEL installer nearest you. The other 10% of the time is when the hood is much smaller so a pre-cut template makes it a lot easier to install. I hope this answered your question. Let us know if we can answer any others.
@XPEL Would an oil-based rust protection treatment like Krown damage an existing XPEL job? Would it cause yellowing or cause the film to start unsticking around the edges of the panels?

Apoth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR (Ordered)
You can find someone good that can custom cut it. My detailer custom did the whole jeep. I used Suntek film, not Xpel.
About what did that run you if you don't mind me asking? I was quoted around $4800 for full xpel ultimate minus the hardtop.

cjsam2004

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
My XPEL technician suggested to have the hood decal removed before applying the film. He personally thinks it’s going to create an overlap and bubble look which is going to be clearly visible.

I’m planning to get mine removed, and maybe later put a new one on top of the film. Also, he quoted me $1700 (for grill,a-pillar,full fenders and custom cut full hood).

aCeMedic13

First Name
Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
About what did that run you if you don't mind me asking? I was quoted around $4800 for full xpel ultimate minus the hardtop.
That’s about right plus additional for custom (Full price). I paid about 3. But I’ve worked with my guy before.
Sponsored