Sponsored

Paint Protection Film/Ceramic Coat worth it?

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
If I plan to do some casual off roading from time to time, would getting paint protection film and/or ceramic coating worth it or will that all wear off with time on trails?
Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
If I plan to do some casual off roading from time to time, would getting paint protection film and/or ceramic coating worth it or will that all wear off with time on trails?
Only you can answer that one for yourself.
Keep in mind that the cost of a good film would likely be higher than just painting your Jeep again a quality shop down the road.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Ceramic Coating is not going to protect you off-road from branches and stuff.

I will say, I have it. One of our rental tenants is a detailer, and loves detailing my vehicles, so he offered to do it for $400 when my Jeep was brand new and wouldn't need any extensive paint correction.

It helps with keeping residue and such off the paint, and I noticed after driving through the everglades at night (Alligator Alley), the bugs came off very easily, but otherwise, I would not pay full price for it. Maybe If I had a show car or something.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Makes sense on a nice sports car. Not much sense on a Jeep.

OP
OP

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
Answers what I suspected. thanks!

Sponsored

DarinFred

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (in D1 status)
I got both the ceramic coating and ppf on my new JLUR. It was somewhat an impulse decision. It looks great now, but this vehicle sits outside. The detailer said don’t let water sit on the car. WTF...but okay. I don’t think I’d do it again on a Wrangler. For my next M3 or Porsche...definitely.

XPEL

First Name
XPEL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
We may be a little bias but we vote yes. If you want to protect your paint, maintain your finish and your investment, then you'll want some sort of protection on your paint. As someone mentioned on the thread, ceramic coatings do NOT stop scratches or rock chips. If you want to stop that, you'll want to get Paint Protection Film (clear bra) installed. XPEL ULTIMATE/ULTIMATE PLUS are the world's very first self-healing film, meaning that fine scratches and swirl marks (just the sort of thing you get when on the trails) will self-heal in the heat of the sun.

We did a project with Jeep Jamboree for all of last year and protected their JLU Rubi. Check out the install video below for more details.

Choosing your coverage is the next step. Typical Jeep protection is the full front end and either lower sections of the doors/sides + fender flares or to do full front end plus full sides to protect when off roading.

Finding an installer is critical. We have a lot of certified XPEL Installers all over the world. Check out the link below to find one nearest you.
XPEL Installers

All of that said, if you just want protection from bird droppings, tree sap, plus super ease of maintenance and an increased appearance, then ceramic coating is the way to go. Check out the photo below as an example. This Subaru Crosstrek is ceramic coated with XPEL FUSION PLUS on HALF of the hood (the right side) and you can see a clear difference on what having a ceramic coating is like versus bare paint. We threw a bucket of muddy water at the hood in the middle of this Subaru and it's very clear to see how well the ceramic coating performs.
IMG_6445.jpg

Hope this info helps, let us know if we can answer any other questions.

PGFDE121

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 FX-35
How many dings does the front grill get? Wondering if it pays to just do film there and the area by the foot wells where you climb in.

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I have Xpel PPF on my Rubicon. Did Grill, half way up hood, front, and rear fenders. I've done it on my last 5 vehicles. Main reason I do it, is for rock chips, and bug guts. The bugs will eat into your clear coat, and it is impossible to make look good. It cost me about $600, and is worth ever penny. I've got 4 year old cars with full painted front ends, and they look as good as they did brand new. Xpel has a 10 year warranty. I'm not affiliated or a sponsor of Xpel, but I would recommend it for any person that is serious about keeping there Jeep looking good for years.

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
If you have the time, DIY ceramic coating is super cheap. It just takes half a day to do it properly

I want to do mine, just need to figure out the time. Quote to have a company do it was 2-3 days and over $2K

Sponsored

ekohn00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I had a ceramic coat on my Macan. It was awesome to a point.

As most said, doesn’t prevent dings. The big part of doing this is removing all the swirls on the paint (black shows most), before having the ceramic coat. Therefore best applied on a new car.

Depending where you live, it possible water can leave water marks. Not fun.

But I will say, dirt always washed up with ease. I vote to go do it on the wheels, if anything. I was amazed how break dust easily washed off.

That said, I’m not doing it on my new JLU, it drive me nuts worrying about keeping the car bright and scratch free.

Ski

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon unlimited, 2009 Nissan Maxima
I have Xpel PPF on my Rubicon. Did Grill, half way up hood, front, and rear fenders. I've done it on my last 5 vehicles. Main reason I do it, is for rock chips, and bug guts. The bugs will eat into your clear coat, and it is impossible to make look good. It cost me about $600, and is worth ever penny. I've got 4 year old cars with full painted front ends, and they look as good as they did brand new. Xpel has a 10 year warranty. I'm not affiliated or a sponsor of Xpel, but I would recommend it for any person that is serious about keeping there Jeep looking good for years.

Hey Jellis, I see you are in Missouri, where do you take your vehicles to get your PPF applied?

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Same question here. I live in a city and park in a parking garage so doing it myself isn’t really an option. The local Ceramic Pro places that I called quoted $1,250.00 for the basic bronze package. That seems like a lot. And I don’t do real off-roading, just beaches and unpaved roads.

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Did ceramic coating myself with Cquartz UK 3.0, super easy and love the gloss and ease of cleaning. That’s one underrated thing about ceramic coatings is how easy it is to clean, especially if you’re not worried about it getting swirl marks. I am so I wash the Jeep properly to avoid it but eventually, it will be taken off-road and all bets are off when that happens. Til then, I keep my expensive ass wrangler clean!

498EE636-638D-427D-948C-516ABD9C5F0D.jpeg

DE531C39-78A1-4FE9-BD9A-106BAD419988.jpeg

39B913E6-476E-447C-BFDF-A402B4D79FB9.jpeg

7AF586D4-CCFC-4C86-BA82-C84E19C1B6EF.jpeg
Sponsored