First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara (White)
Occupation
Finance
I noticed a chip on the edge of my hood (where the hood meets the grill) from what I assume was a rock. It took a nice chunk out of the paint, down to the metal. Worth trying to fix on my own? Or should I just bring it in to the dealer and have them look at it? Mostly concerned with weather-proofing it to prevent rust; also don't want the chip to get any worse obviously.
Sponsored

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed a chip on the edge of my hood (where the hood meets the grill) from what I assume was a rock. It took a nice chunk out of the paint, down to the metal. Worth trying to fix on my own? Or should I just bring it in to the dealer and have them look at it? Mostly concerned with weather-proofing it to prevent rust; also don't want the chip to get any worse obviously.
Since the hood is aluminum it won't rust, BUT the aluminum will oxidize and will spread under the paint and bubble it up. I guess it depends on how large and noticeable it is, you might just want to get a paint pen and seal it up if it's not worth a full repair. To do it right it will require at localized repair, blend and clear coat on the whole hood at a minimum.