Packable Cots / Tents Too!

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited
Not quite ready, or perhaps never will be, for a roof top tent. As I am a bit older now (who isn't) and due to some hockey days catching up to me, comfort is key. We have done a lot of hiking and lightweight trekking / camping, but in the jeep we can move up to something a bit more comfy, larger and sturdy.

We would like to have a least a 4 person tent (extra room, possibly dogs on some trips when safe) that is easily packable into the space of the JLUR, along with some packable easy to set up and sturdy cots (I am 220 lbs). I have a few options we are looking at, but as we have until next Spring I have some time to research! Looking for suggestions for the following:

Tent
  • As noted packable for storage in the Jeep when not in use
  • 4 person, stand up height
  • Easy set up and take down, pack away
  • Can support cots on floor
Cots
  • Packable for storage in the Jeep when not in use
  • Able to support air pad / mattress
  • Not too heavy but sturdy to support up to 250 lbs (no one weighs that much as I max out at 220)
  • Will not damage tent floor
  • Easy set up...
One day a roof top tent or trailer but for now this is luxury to me (hiked Appalachian Trail, many multi-day, week hikes and backcountry outings in the Sierras etc.)

thanks!
Sponsored

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Tent - I have been using a Kodiak Canvas 10×14 VX spring bar type tent for my family of 4 since 2015. In all kinds of weather, hot to cold including snow and in extreme wind gusts that sent other tents flying into the trees. ZERO problems and Maximum comfort and protection. I am a 6'1" and can stand comfortably in the tent without issue. In the winter I throw the Heater Buddy in there and the canvas keeps us nice and toasty. Check out YouTube, lots of videos.

Cots - we use the military grade Disc-O-Bed cots. Enables all 4 of us to sleep in the tent off the ground and in total comfort. They fashion together in pairs and make bunkbeds. Or you can make a sofa out of them if you are stuck inside due to bad weather. Have used them at home and on other vacations as stand a lone beds for the kids too. Little salty in price but I like robust and comfort. YouTube videos on these as well.

This stuff is heavy and bulky, but I make it work in our JLU with the four of us. We base camp, and at the end of the end of the day, I want comfort and protection without having to crawl around on my knees or dick around with climbing ladders to a two thousand dollar tent in the middle of the night.

xtremejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Look at the Gazelle 4 tents. Not easy packable as it doesn't fold up, but it sets up in 5 mins. I run it without the floor so you can keep your boots on and not make a mess, because we run cots. Amazon foldup ones (like standard camp chair) which was an upgrade from the bass pro steel ones you had to assemble.

Goblue

First Name
Darran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU/OB
Occupation
FF/PM
Tent - I have been using a Kodiak Canvas 10×14 VX spring bar type tent for my family of 4 since 2015. In all kinds of weather, hot to cold including snow and in extreme wind gusts that sent other tents flying into the trees. ZERO problems and Maximum comfort and protection. I am a 6'1" and can stand comfortably in the tent without issue. In the winter I throw the Heater Buddy in there and the canvas keeps us nice and toasty. Check out YouTube, lots of videos.

Cots - we use the military grade Disc-O-Bed cots. Enables all 4 of us to sleep in the tent off the ground and in total comfort. They fashion together in pairs and make bunkbeds. Or you can make a sofa out of them if you are stuck inside due to bad weather. Have used them at home and on other vacations as stand a lone beds for the kids too. Little salty in price but I like robust and comfort. YouTube videos on these as well.

This stuff is heavy and bulky, but I make it work in our JLU with the four of us. We base camp, and at the end of the end of the day, I want comfort and protection without having to crawl around on my knees or dick around with climbing ladders to a two thousand dollar tent in the middle of the night.

two really great options im wondering about the tent looked at the website how packable is this tent

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I carry a 6 sperson stand up Coleman Easyup and a bifold Coleman aluminum frame cot in my 2 dr sometimes. It would fit 2 cots. Packable makes me think or repackable. Best thing I ever did for tent camping is get a little larger bag for tent storage. .

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
two really great options im wondering about the tent looked at the website how packable is this tent
Packed up folded flat, I can fit the 10x14 model behind the rear seat of my 98 TJ roughly 2 foot by 3 foot and about 8 inches thick which includes the separate ground cloth. You can also roll it up when you pack it up.

Several YouTube videos that can give you a better visualization of what I am trying to describe. They also have smaller tents that pack smaller and lighter. Poles are in a separate bag somewhere between 3 and 4 feet long.
Sponsored