Sponsored

PA Jeepers Be Warned - You can get fined!

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
This is the major problem, in my eyes. Inconsistent interpretation and spotty enforcement. The code reads "doors of a type used as original equipment." Which is why, yes they may be doors, but they are not OE type doors.
I don’t disagree with you, but this is better (in my eyes) than strict enforcement of a victimless “crime.” This whole stupid law should come off the books.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BeeLDub

BeeLDub

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys, 2019 Cherokee Limited
Occupation
Structural Engineer
I don’t disagree with you, but this is better (in my eyes) than strict enforcement of a victimless “crime.” This whole stupid law should come off the books.
Agreed!

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
I have driven through PA 34 and a half million times, I know a few NJ, PA and Mass LEOs.

They all agree, if they see a doorless jeep and the driver took the time to put mirrors on, they won't bother them.

If they see some asshat with doors off and didn't bother to put mirrors on, then they say...JFC look at this asshole.

Pretty sure it is illegal everywhere to drive without side mirrors.
and I think that is the real issue, PA law is just worded wrong.

I will sign a petition to change the verbal law to, if your doors are off you better have mirrors installed.

OP
OP
BeeLDub

BeeLDub

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Structural Engineer
I have driven through PA 34 and a half million times, I know a few NJ, PA and Mass LEOs.

They all agree, if they see a doorless jeep and the driver took the time to put mirrors on, they won't bother them.

If they see some asshat with doors off and didn't bother to put mirrors on, then they say...JFC look at this asshole.

Pretty sure it is illegal everywhere to drive without side mirrors.
and I think that is the real issue, PA law is just worded wrong.

I will sign a petition to change the verbal law to, if your doors are off you better have mirrors installed.

Actually, in PA, you only need 1 unobstructed rearview mirror: https://www.pacode.com/secure/data/067/chapter175/s175.68.html

Every state has slightly different mirror laws/requirements.

The code about the doors is here: https://www.pacode.com/secure/data/067/chapter175/s175.77.html

"Specific" to the type of door and it's functionality.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Forget about the law, I can't see how anyone would WANT to drive without mirrors. The first time i removed my doors on my JK I jumped on the highway. (I live 2 blocks from an entrance ramp). Man that was the most uncomfortable drive of my life, whipping my head around like a fool. I came right back home, grabbed a Jeep catalog and ordered drop in mirrors the same day.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Forget about the law, I can't see how anyone would WANT to drive without mirrors. The first time i removed my doors on my JK I jumped on the highway. (I live 2 blocks from an entrance ramp). Man that was the most uncomfortable drive of my life, whipping my head around like a fool. I came right back home, grabbed a Jeep catalog and ordered drop in mirrors the same day.
I’m 100% with you. I had no idea how much I rely on my side mirrors until I did t have them, anymore. I sprung for CMMs after trying and returning the Rugged Ridge and Lange Coyotes. No regrets.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Northeast Pa is the worst. Wilkes-Barre, Kingston , Dallas , Scranton , Swoyersville, forty fort. Police basically make up the rules based on the time of day. They hold the four wheel off-road jamboree in Bloomsburg and the cops are always such a nightmare to deal with giving tickets to locals plus out of state trucks and just basically making you feel unwelcome in every way possible. Not only do you have to deal with the local police you have the pa state police , inspection sticker issues which can also be a real nightmare.

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Northeast Pa is the worst. Wilkes-Barre, Kingston , Dallas , Scranton , Swoyersville, forty fort. Police basically make up the rules based on the time of day. They hold the four wheel off-road jamboree in Bloomsburg and the cops are always such a nightmare to deal with giving tickets to locals plus out of state trucks and just basically making you feel unwelcome in every way possible. Not only do you have to deal with the local police you have the pa state police , inspection sticker issues which can also be a real nightmare.
It's because cops in those small areas or "old town" type areas have absolutely nothing better to do than to bust peoples balls over nothing. So glad I left the east coast, after 40 years of living in Pennsyltucky.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
Are these tickets fines or "fix it" where you can eliminate it by showing up with doors?

OP
OP
BeeLDub

BeeLDub

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Are these tickets fines or "fix it" where you can eliminate it by showing up with doors?
Fines, but you can'e eliminate them. There used to be a picture of one floating around on another forum, I will see if I can find it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BeeLDub

BeeLDub

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Structural Engineer
8f8f0dacc467a447e193545c56cc7745.jpg

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
It's because cops in those small areas or "old town" type areas have absolutely nothing better to do than to bust peoples balls over nothing. So glad I left the east coast, after 40 years of living in Pennsyltucky.
Yes, I’m originally from that area and got hassled to death basically ran out of town because I drove a tall lifted truck. They even banned car cruising. Now the idiots have only drugs and crime.
Headed west as well and it’s awesome , the freedom , beauty, and everything just night and day difference. Never going back to Pennsyltucky.

Turfman

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Vehicle Showcase
That’s crazy. One second spent on fining a Jeep driver for not having doors, is a second they could of been looking for real criminals.

At least we have medical Mary Jane now. That will help deal with the idiots!!
Or another donut or two they could be eating!

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I’m originally from that area and got hassled to death basically ran out of town because I drove a tall lifted truck. They even banned car cruising. Now the idiots have only drugs and crime.
Headed west as well and it’s awesome , the freedom , beauty, and everything just night and day difference. Never going back to Pennsyltucky.

It's a shame... Car cruizing was a big thing for many, many years... Moved here to AZ just over 2 years ago and I love it out here. I would have been pulled over so many times in PA because of the fact that the wheels on my JLUR are sticking out beyond the fenders, and my windows are tinted dark. Meanwhile, no cop, nowhere here in any state from AZ to Cali, and all the way up into Montana, and Southern Canada gives two rips about how my jeep sits, and how dark the tint is. They just see the AZ plates and know instantly why... HAHA! Can't beat that.

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, for a period there, I was getting fines left and right back east. I became a regular in many of the local magistrates. I find that it's easier to plead not guilty and deal with the magistrate. I'd say 99.5 % of the time I'd win. In some cases even have the cops try and bargain with me before we went to see the magistrate, and I'd say nope, taking my chances with the judge.
Sponsored