Sponsored

PA Jeepers Be Warned - You can get fined!

OP
OP
BeeLDub

BeeLDub

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys, 2019 Cherokee Limited
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Not sure that is something I would risk. How bad would it suck to have to drive to FL from PA or vice versa to fight a ticket?
But that's what I am getting at. She lives in each state for 6 months at a time, so she would be able to fight it because it's not like she has a flight to catch that week or anything. And yet, after over 20 years of this, she has never been pulled over for items on her FL registered cars that do not meet PA vehicle codes.

Again, not being of legal profession, I will not say it with 100% certainty, but I am almost certain State X cannot enforce their vehicle inspection requirements on a vehicle registered in State Y. I've seen people use this to their advantage many times.
Sponsored

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
But that's what I am getting at. She lives in each state for 6 months at a time, so she would be able to fight it because it's not like she has a flight to catch that week or anything. And yet, after over 20 years of this, she has never been pulled over for items on her FL registered cars that do not meet PA vehicle codes.

Again, not being of legal profession, I will not say it with 100% certainty, but I am almost certain State X cannot enforce their vehicle inspection requirements on a vehicle registered in State Y. I've seen people use this to their advantage many times.
If it is not a hassle to fight, then I'd say go for it. I'd love to see what the outcome would be.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I'd have to argue that. FL to PA is the perfect example. In FL, there are no restrictions on window tint, and because of all of the sun and high temps, cars down there tend to be heavily tinted (many bought from the dealer as such). If they drive up to PA for a vacation, they cannot force you to remove tint. Doesn't mean they can't harass you about it, but cannot enforce anything.
I don’t believe that this is wholly true.

I am new to Colorado but some research showed that there was a bill in the CO legislature in 2019 (I don’t know if it passed) that did exempt out of state vehicle from the CO tinting laws. Therefore, prior to the passage of this bill (if it passed) fines for window tint For out of state cars WERE enforceable in CO. Apparently, legally, New Mexico has much “darker” tints and NM drivers were getting tickets in CO. Perhaps the law passed or perhaps it didn’t.

EDIT: some further research indicates that the above bill died in committee. Out of State drivers CAN still be ticketed in CO apparently albeit a small risk. It seems that the “analysis” of the bill suggested that at least 38 out of state drivers were cited in 2019. So, while it can and does happen, apparently, it’s not very frequent.

back to the point though. PA may be different, IDK, but colorado and likely some other states CAN and DO enforce tint laws for out of state vehicles.

Last edited:

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
The best thing to do about this is.. Not talk about it.. Dont go ask your friend cops about it so it doesn't get talked about or mentioned (yes cops talk to each other about things and the more we stir this the more they will be aware of it and for IT to become a THING...)

Just do your thing man it will all be alright..

Same thing with tinting the front windshield and how its not legal but someone i know tinted his 30% for 2 years and got pulled over a bunch of times and it was never mentioned.. Same thing with installing a straight pipe and CAT delete on the corvette.. Its ok..

Just stop spreading everything on the internet, anyone and everyone is reading.. That also goes for the ecodiesel tunes.. Wish people wouldn't talk about it..

Sponsored

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
Nah you can take your doors off.... depends on where you are at and how the POlice are there..... in my CJ and TJ days the Cops were jerks... however I haven't taken the doors off of my JL yet too much traveling.... can you get fined yes.... will you get fined that is an entirely different issues... My buddies have their doors off all the time with and without mirrors and the only thing they have ever received was a warning and a go put your doors on....

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
moving to pa soon. sucks that i cant take my doors off.
Here in NYC the morality is so low with the police these days they don’t even pull you over anymore. The animals are running the zoo now. Cops can lose their jobs for making justifiable arrests so they don’t even bother. I don’t blame them either. The mayor stands behind the criminals. I imagine PA is the same.

Reactions: omg

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

Here in NYC the morality is so low with the police these days they don’t even pull you over anymore. The animals are running the zoo now. Cops can lose their jobs for making justifiable arrests so they don’t even bother. I don’t blame them either. The mayor stands behind the criminals. I imagine PA is the same.
You would think that's the case, but I have been harassed more over the past 6 months by cops, compared to previously when I owned a BMW. However, it is worth noting that the BMW was Sapphire Black and the JL is HELLAYELLA. It looks like a school bus with MT tires, and when there are no school buses, so I am sure that might be attracting the attention.....

omg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

PA constitution [Article 1, section 21 - https://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/LI/CT/HTM/00/00.HTM]

"The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned."

2nd amendment

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.""

while, ny citizens rights have been slowly eroding and 2A is being interpreted to death to suit politician's needs, i think citizens of pa, will do just fine.

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
With regards to PA Law:

"A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with doors of a type used as original equipment. The doors shall open and close securely unless the vehicle has been manufactured or modified to the extent that there is no roof or side."

The first part of the PA Law is interesting ("...shall be equipped with doors of a type used as original equipment.")

My $0.015 worth.

The above states "equipped" but does not say "operated." When built, Jeeps are equipped with doors that are a type used as original equipment.

Another interesting point is that the "doors of a type used as original equipment." That statement does not state the doors have to be of the type built by the manufacturer of the vehicle.

According to press releases, the new Bronco has OEM tube doors and OEM doors with a large hole in the center. When the new Bronco becomes available for sale with tube type doors, then those doors would be "a type used as original equipment." Therefore, IMHO, tube type doors for a JL that are like the ones on the new Bronco would be in accordance with the PA Law. (Finally, a reason to like the new Bronco :D )

Reactions: omg

Sponsored

omg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
With regards to PA Law:

"A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with doors of a type used as original equipment. The doors shall open and close securely unless the vehicle has been manufactured or modified to the extent that there is no roof or side."

The first part of the PA Law is interesting ("...shall be equipped with doors of a type used as original equipment.")

My $0.015 worth.

The above states "equipped" but does not say "operated." When built, Jeeps are equipped with doors that are a type used as original equipment.

Another interesting point is that the "doors of a type used as original equipment." That statement does not state the doors have to be of the type built by the manufacturer of the vehicle.

According to press releases, the new Bronco has OEM tube doors and OEM doors with a large hole in the center. When the new Bronco becomes available for sale with tube type doors, then those doors would be "a type used as original equipment." Therefore, IMHO, tube type doors for a JL that are like the ones on the new Bronco would be in accordance with the PA Law. (Finally, a reason to like the new Bronco :D )
thanks for that info. i will probably just leave the doors on, not worth the hassle.

OP
OP
BeeLDub

BeeLDub

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Structural Engineer
With regards to PA Law:

My $0.015 worth.

There have been many, long-winded, mind-numbing conversations about this. But I promise you, the interpretation is not as "grey" as we would like it to be. Some have fought their tickets, and VERY few have won.

"Equipped" inherently means something is currently installed. If you are operating without doors, you are no longer equipped with your doors. If you want to get technical, you could get one of those fancy hitch-mounted door carriers, and although the doors are not equipped in their original location, they are equipped on the vehicle in a greater sense. But that line is not "grey" enough to get by.

That "original equipment" part is true. But sadly, that only leads to one exception, with old CJs that could be purchased without doors. IF the JL is ever offered from the manuf with tube doors, then all JLs should be able to ride with tube doors, but that would be a hard sell for the older Jeeps that never had that option. That leaves the Bronco in a better position. But that's using the "strictest" interpretation of the code (which I am used to having to do in my line of work). I would be willing to argue that the statement does not insist on OE-type doors being from the original manuf; so, if ANY manuf makes an OE-type tube door, there is definitely room to argue!

If the insurance institute would just finish their review of the this proposed code change, this could all be over!

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Maybe it’s time to enlist Bronco owners in the push to get the law reformed? ;)

With regards to the comments about enforcing state inspection laws on out of state vehicles, my thought is nothing stops a cop from ticketing you. In front of a judge, you’d probably get it tossed out. A hassle to go to court to fight it, but in the example provided, PA could not rationally expect any FL driver with tinted windows to have to strip their tiny just to be passing through PA. Just my thoughts but I’m not a legal expert by any means. Ask me about drug laws, then maybe :rock:.

OP
OP
BeeLDub

BeeLDub

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Maybe it’s time to enlist Bronco owners in the push to get the law reformed? ;)

With regards to the comments about enforcing state inspection laws on out of state vehicles, my thought is nothing stops a cop from ticketing you. In front of a judge, you’d probably get it tossed out. A hassle to go to court to fight it, but in the example provided, PA could not rationally expect any FL driver with tinted windows to have to strip their tiny just to be passing through PA. Just my thoughts but I’m not a legal expert by any means. Ask me about drug laws, then maybe :rock:.
Why stop at Broncos?
Jeep Wrangler JL PA Jeepers Be Warned - You can get fined! 1602767300181
Jeep Wrangler JL PA Jeepers Be Warned - You can get fined! 1602767314044

Jeep Wrangler JL PA Jeepers Be Warned - You can get fined! 1602767323793
Jeep Wrangler JL PA Jeepers Be Warned - You can get fined! 1602767341548

Jeep Wrangler JL PA Jeepers Be Warned - You can get fined! 1602767360509
Jeep Wrangler JL PA Jeepers Be Warned - You can get fined! 1602767374878

Jeep Wrangler JL PA Jeepers Be Warned - You can get fined! 1602767393306

Everyone apparently wants to be part of the club! lol

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Of course we could go old school with this...

Jeep Wrangler JL PA Jeepers Be Warned - You can get fined! Model-T-1909

and I wonder if they the PA police got this guy on the way to the firetruck parade?
Jeep Wrangler JL PA Jeepers Be Warned - You can get fined! PA Fire Truck
Sponsored

Last edited: