Sponsored

PA Jeepers Be Warned - You can get fined!

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
thanks, that was helpful.
Yea, you're fine being from out of state. I see people with them off and it's usually fine, but like others said it varies wildly from county to county, cop to cop, and timing. I've heard Berks around Wyomissing and Reading can sometimes be tough.
Sponsored

Reactions: omg

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

Yea, you're fine being from out of state. I see people with them off and it's usually fine, but like others said it varies wildly from county to county, cop to cop, and timing. I've heard Berks around Wyomissing and Reading can sometimes be tough.
Watch around Kutztown University. I got pulled over last weekend by a KU Police officer (he was on foot and walked right up to my Jeep while stopped at a traffic light), who "gave me a warning" and told me that if he catches me running without doors on Main Street, he will have no choice but to ticket me. I told him that's a chance I am willing to take. I don't think he knows I am a professor at KU, but it might make for some awkward encounters in the future ;)

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Watch around Kutztown University
Lol I like that story. I heard something similar when a cop walked up to a jeep while they were parked in Wyomissing. Some places are really going for it.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I’m very pro police but sometimes get annoyed when they don’t use discretion. I mean c’mon there’s stupid laws on the books in every state. Why is a doorless Jeep any unsafer than a motorcycle? As long as you have mirrors.
Here in NYC they’ve eased the pot laws or at least the enforcement of them so now at least 5 times a day when I’m diving or sitting at a light I’ve gotta be subjected to that pot/skunk smell. Where’s my rights that I’ve gotta breathe that shit.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
’m very pro police but sometimes get annoyed when they don’t use discretion. I mean c’mon there’s stupid laws on the books in every state. Why is a doorless Jeep any unsafer than a motorcycle?
I agree. I have seen the argument about the motorcycle comparison saying that jeepers aren't wearing helmets in case of a crash, but in PA adult motorcyclists aren't even required to wear helmets so.... Yea, it does make the jeep door thing seem really misguided.

I do think the code would have been changed at some point this year if the pandemic didn't happen. I don't begrudge them for having more pressing matters on their hands right now, but maybe once everything clears up we can make a fresh push for a change on this, especially if they just make it ok for state and local roads 60mph and under. I don't need to be flying down interstates at 75mph with my doors off, but cruising around my town or going between towns I shouldn't need to be anxious about getting pulled over.

Sponsored

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I may have conveyed that incorrectly. it is a vehicle code, so it's based off of where the vehicle is registered. If you're vehicle is registered in PA, it must abide by PennDOT vehicle codes, which is what requires doors to be in place.
Can you register the purchase of a door less Jeep? Then purchase the doors as aftermarket parts?

What about open side bus/ trolley that are common in tourist areas?

Does PA have an experimental class registration?

Last edited:
OP
OP
BeeLDub

BeeLDub

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys, 2019 Cherokee Limited
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Can you register the purchase of a door less Jeep? Then purchase the doors as aftermarket parts?

What about open side bus/ trolley that are common in tourist areas?

Does PA have an experimental class registration?
To my knowledge, the CJs are the only Jeeps that could be purchased from factory without doors. So no newer Jeeps would fit that.

They're open and come from the factory like that, so it is a non-issue.

Not to my knowledge, but have not dove that deep.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
No risk at all. PA can not enforce PA vehicle requirements on out-of-state vehicles. That would be like them pulling you over for no inspection or emissions, which many states just do not have. All clear!

Worst case, they pull you over before realizing you are out-of-state, then just brush it all off. But that is highly unlikely since even PA Jeeps are not getting pulled over all that often.
I don't think your information is correct. When I was in the military, cops enforce local window tint laws all the time, didn't matter where the plates were from. Now a Florida cop wouldn't enforce a New Jersey inspection. Cops can tend to enforce "our roads, our rules".

OP
OP
BeeLDub

BeeLDub

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Structural Engineer
I don't think your information is correct. When I was in the military, cops enforce local window tint laws all the time, didn't matter where the plates were from. Now a Florida cop wouldn't enforce a New Jersey inspection. Cops can tend to enforce "our roads, our rules".
I'd have to argue that. FL to PA is the perfect example. In FL, there are no restrictions on window tint, and because of all of the sun and high temps, cars down there tend to be heavily tinted (many bought from the dealer as such). If they drive up to PA for a vacation, they cannot force you to remove tint. Doesn't mean they can't harass you about it, but cannot enforce anything.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I'd have to argue that. FL to PA is the perfect example. In FL, there are no restrictions on window tint, and because of all of the sun and high temps, cars down there tend to be heavily tinted (many bought from the dealer as such). If they drive up to PA for a vacation, they cannot force you to remove tint. Doesn't mean they can't harass you about it, but cannot enforce anything.
Just to be clear, do you have factual, legal documentation supporting your argument that in state laws don't apply to out of state vehicles? Or just a gut feeling? I don't, I am just going off of friends experiences from living in several states that had out of state registrations for their vehicles.

Try using the "But I live in another state" argument with a cop, let me know how that works out.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BeeLDub

BeeLDub

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Just to be clear, do you have factual, legal documentation supporting your argument that in state laws don't apply to out of state vehicles? Or just a gut feeling? I don't, I am just going off of friends experiences from living in several states that had out of state registrations for their vehicles.

Try using the "But I live in another state" argument with a cop, let me know how that works out.
I do not, just sharing my interpretations. My only "experience" is my aunt. She is a snow-bird, living in PA in the summer, FL in the winter. Her car is registered in FL, tinted heavily for PA standards, and in such towns as Bethlehem where they are strict on that, she has yet to have any issues.

jakebrake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler rubicon recon
Ithis isnt new. It has been an equipment standard violation for decades. Much like driving without a bumper. It just usually was not enforced that Heavily..

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Ithis isnt new. It has been an equipment standard violation for decades.
It's pretty old at this point, but I don't think it was decades. I thought I read somewhere that it was put in the vehicle code in the 2000s. Maybe I'm thinking of the motorcycle helmet stuff.

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
I do not, just sharing my interpretations. My only "experience" is my aunt. She is a snow-bird, living in PA in the summer, FL in the winter. Her car is registered in FL, tinted heavily for PA standards, and in such towns as Bethlehem where they are strict on that, she has yet to have any issues.
Not sure that is something I would risk. How bad would it suck to have to drive to FL from PA or vice versa to fight a ticket?
Sponsored