Sponsored

PA Jeepers Be Warned - You can get fined!

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I would never go doorless.. my left arm got no where to rest, at least get tube doors, they even look better.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BeeLDub

BeeLDub

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys, 2019 Cherokee Limited
Occupation
Structural Engineer
I would never go doorless.. my left arm got no where to rest, at least get tube doors, they even look better.
Drive with my left, shift with my right. No issue here.

OP
OP
BeeLDub

BeeLDub

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Ok, and my immediate follow-up to that would be: How have the other 49 States somehow found a way to not make this a moving violation and instead just an inspection violation?

I mean fine, whatever. A modern car should definitely not pass inspection without doors. But why is PA the ONLY State that enforces this as a moving violation? That would be my question back to him.

I've emailed my Rep, but haven't heard anything back.
Honestly, I do not even think it's an inspection issue in any other state (many of which do not have inspections?). From my understanding, and my research and the research of many others on a previous forum, PA is the ONLY state with any issue with this!

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
Honestly, I do not even think it's an inspection issue in any other state (many of which do not have inspections?). From my understanding, and my research and the research of many others on a previous forum, PA is the ONLY state with any issue with this!

I live in north central PA, and see a lot of people without door, I know I have gone doorless as well and never had an issue .. I think its based on what part of the state your in or the mood of the officer who sees you

OP
OP
BeeLDub

BeeLDub

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Structural Engineer
I live in north central PA, and see a lot of people without door, I know I have gone doorless as well and never had an issue .. I think its based on what part of the state your in or the mood of the officer who sees you
It 100% depends on the department and the officer. And I in no way blame officers for enforcing this as they so choose. It is a law/code/whatever you want to consider it, and that is their right to enforce. When I speed, which I often do, I would never be mad at a police officer for pulling me over, I'm mad at myself for getting caught.

And I'm from the Lehigh Valley area myself. I've driven in Reading, KOP, Allentown, and everywhere between without doors, no issue. But it seems like every year this gets enforced more and more, and it's only a matter of time.

This is an issue to me because it should not be a law/code/etc. There should be no such code to enforce when it comes to doors off. Every other state allows it, and even Jeep acknowledges the doors and top are not meant for protection from injury, only protection from the elements.

Sponsored

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It 100% depends on the department and the officer. And I in no way blame officers for enforcing this as they so choose. It is a law/code/whatever you want to consider it, and that is their right to enforce. When I speed, which I often do, I would never be mad at a police officer for pulling me over, I'm mad at myself for getting caught.

And I'm from the Lehigh Valley area myself. I've driven in Reading, KOP, Allentown, and everywhere between without doors, no issue. But it seems like every year this gets enforced more and more, and it's only a matter of time.

This is an issue to me because it should not be a law/code/etc. There should be no such code to enforce when it comes to doors off. Every other state allows it, and even Jeep acknowledges the doors and top are not meant for protection from injury, only protection from the elements.
I agree 100%

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I'm close to all of those areas, and I haven't had an issue yet. But like you said, it seems like police departments are keying in on this more (free ticket money?).

I hate driving competently but constantly sweating it out if the next cop I pass wants to drag me over lack of doors. Make me contact my insurance and get a special pass or whatever. Make me stay on 55 mph roads. Those two things are fine with me, as long as I can drive freely without worrying.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
Holy smokes. I'm from PA originally. I've been driving Jeeps with no doors on for years. From 1989 till 2011 I rolled all over Western PA all summer long sans doors. I never, ever heard that it was a problem. Guess I got lucky.

If you really want to get a larger number of signatures all at once you should set up a booth at the Bantam Jeep Fest. It's held at Cooper's Lake Campground near my hometown of Butler. In fact my dad still likes close to the venue.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Holy smokes. I'm from PA originally. I've been driving Jeeps with no doors on for years. From 1989 till 2011 I rolled all over Western PA all summer long sans doors. I never, ever heard that it was a problem. Guess I got lucky.

If you really want to get a larger number of signatures all at once you should set up a booth at the Bantam Jeep Fest. It's held at Cooper's Lake Campground near my hometown of Butler. In fact my dad still likes close to the venue.
Yea, I have a lot of friends who have been doing it for years and never got pulled over. Thankfully the police in my town don't seem too concerned with it, but the moment I drive out of the vicinity it seems to be getting worse. Today should be pretty warm, and I'm weighing if I want to give it a shot just to see what happens haha

Sponsored

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
I had a 10 minute discussion with a PA Trooper about this yesterday near Ridgway. He said “tube doors are doors” when I specifically asked about them. I got the impression from talking to him that they have bigger fish to fry than Jeepers going doorless, so long as we’re otherwise legal.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I had a 10 minute discussion with a PA Trooper about this yesterday near Ridgway. He said “tube doors are doors” when I specifically asked about them. I got the impression from talking to him that they have bigger fish to fry than Jeepers going doorless, so long as we’re otherwise legal.
Good to know. Thanks!

OP
OP
BeeLDub

BeeLDub

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Hey guys, so what about the Crusader trail doors from JCR - do you think those would keep me as close to legal as possible and reduce the probability of being pulled over? I know we've determined tube doors are also illegal, but these are totally solid and could really pass as factory half doors. Thoughts?

https://www.quadratec.com/p/jcr-off...MIsbvD96y74QIVjY2zCh1ndArWEAQYASABEgK8L_D_BwE
Exactly like you said. Not technically legal, but since enforcement is grey, I think it would reduce the already slim possibility of getting pulled over.

Last year several members of the "old" forum tried getting Bantam involved, with no luck. We've also tried getting Quadratec involved, being from PA, still no luck....

This is the major problem, in my eyes. Inconsistent interpretation and spotty enforcement. The code reads "doors of a type used as original equipment." Which is why, yes they may be doors, but they are not OE type doors.

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
Last year several members of the "old" forum tried getting Bantam involved, with no luck.
I didn't mean necessarily getting the festival organizers involved. I meant set up a place to lobby the crowds and collect signatures from the people attending the event.

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This is the major problem, in my eyes. Inconsistent interpretation and spotty enforcement. .
Isn't that everywhere and in every career field. part of life no way around it
Sponsored