Pa jeepers and door laws

Sholmberg0311

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T
Occupation
Adult baby sitter
So its sunny and 80° first day off work in awhile so I proceed to take my doors off and go for a cruise and enjoy the weather. Well I pass multiple cops on my drive some smile and wave .. further down the road a cop passes me and I watch him do a u turn . At this point I know hes coming for me. So he lights me up I ask why I'm being stopped he said I dont have doors on my jeep. So i hand him my documents and he heads back to his cruiser. 20 minutes go by I see Pa state police pull in. They now are flipping through pages in a manual. Well 10 more minutes go by he gets out and tells me " the only reason your not getting a ticket is because my system isnt working". I asked why I passed many police and nobody stopped me. He says it's his discretion. Was the " system not working" his way of saying he wasnt sure what to ticket me for?

20200526_120034.jpg
Sponsored

madscientist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Wrangler 3.6 AT
So its sunny and 80° first day off work in awhile so I proceed to take my doors off and go for a cruise and enjoy the weather. Well I pass multiple cops on my drive some smile and wave .. further down the road a cop passes me and I watch him do a u turn . At this point I know hes coming for me. So he lights me up I ask why I'm being stopped he said I dont have doors on my jeep. So i hand him my documents and he heads back to his cruiser. 20 minutes go by I see Pa state police pull in. They now are flipping through pages in a manual. Well 10 more minutes go by he gets out and tells me " the only reason your not getting a ticket is because my system isnt working". I asked why I passed many police and nobody stopped me. He says it's his discretion. Was the " system not working" his way of saying he wasnt sure what to ticket me for?

20200526_120034.jpg
sounds like he couldn't find the statute to put on the ticket. Lucky for you that he didn't just write up some other issue and make you go to court to fight it.

For your knowledge, take a look at the following post:
PA Vehicle Door Laws

OP
OP
Sholmberg0311

Sholmberg0311

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T
Occupation
Adult baby sitter
sounds like he couldn't find the statute to put on the ticket. Lucky for you that he didn't just write up some other issue and make you go to court to fight it.

For your knowledge, take a look at the following post:
PA Vehicle Door Laws
Well. I think that could be the case and it probably didnt hurt my case being a veteran. Thanks I think it's a wacky law though.

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
It is a wacky law that unfortunately was not overturned. It’s a rare day I run no doors because I don’t want to get fined for another violation, wheels ever so slightly beyond fenders.
You’re in Center County? I know some people in some counties say they run doorless all the time with no problem. In SE PA I haven’t had problems, I’m driving responsibly without speeding or acting obnoxious, but I usually don’t want to chance it.

OP
OP
Sholmberg0311

Sholmberg0311

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T
Occupation
Adult baby sitter
It is a wacky law that unfortunately was not overturned. It’s a rare day I run no doors because I don’t want to get fined for another violation, wheels ever so slightly beyond fenders.
You’re in Center County? I know some people in some counties say they run doorless all the time with no problem. In SE PA I haven’t had problems, I’m driving responsibly without speeding or acting obnoxious, but I usually don’t want to chance it.
Blair. And as I sat there pulled over I counted atleast 3 other jeeps running naked. Yeah I was drawing no attention. Seat belt on not speeding. But owell.

Sponsored

werewolf4805

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
There are several threads related to this topic on here and other Jeep forums. Several times some of us get together and write our local representative to try and gain support to get this law changed. The amendment is stuck in a committee and hasn’t moved in a year almost. What I’ve learned is mostly local/regional police only enforce it and even then it is very random.

MyWilly

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Willys Sport
Occupation
Federal Police

Jeep Wrangler JL Pa jeepers and door laws 20200526_120034
If he had to call "Grey Gods" cause he had nothing and neither did they. WOW
Sponsored