P0456 won't clear! - not the gas cap

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Well this is funny reading these. I replaced my batteries last week and had this code pop up today. Lol. Guess I’m due for an update. I cleared it though so I’ll see if it comes back.
Sponsored

tylersam

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I ran across this thread googling the P0456 error code, and my situation was exactly like some of the others. I replaced my main battery and a week or two later, the check engine light came on with code P0456.

I took it into the dealership, and mentioned that this would hopefully be resolved by an update to the Powertrain Control Module. They insisted that my Jeep had no updates available so that couldn't possibly be it. So I left it with them to do a smoke test to find the leak. The next day, they messaged me and said that they updated the PCM and that fixed the issue.

And if anyone else is curious, the work was done under warranty. My Jeep (2018 JLUR) is past the 3 year warranty so I guess it is covered under the powertrain warranty.

Jeep Wrangler JL P0456 won't clear! - not the gas cap 1637764125415

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I ran across this thread googling the P0456 error code, and my situation was exactly like some of the others. I replaced my main battery and a week or two later, the check engine light came on with code P0456.

I took it into the dealership, and mentioned that this would hopefully be resolved by an update to the Powertrain Control Module. They insisted that my Jeep had no updates available so that couldn't possibly be it. So I left it with them to do a smoke test to find the leak. The next day, they messaged me and said that they updated the PCM and that fixed the issue.

And if anyone else is curious, the work was done under warranty. My Jeep (2018 JLUR) is past the 3 year warranty so I guess it is covered under the powertrain warranty.

1637764125415.png
@tylersam

Any chance you could post more of the receipt.... Looking at the rest of receipt does it say TSB xxxx completed or PCM update XXXXX completed or anything else say further down /anywhere. on the receipt.

Yes, it does say PCM reprogram on what you have posted but no specifics...

Also, what year is your JL?

tylersam

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
@tylersam

Any chance you could post more of the receipt.... Looking at the rest of receipt does it say TSB xxxx completed or PCM update XXXXX completed or anything else say further down /anywhere. on the receipt.

Yes, it does say PCM reprogram on what you have posted but no specifics...

Also, what year is your JL?

Here's the full invoice. Unfortunately, it seems lacking in details, but this is all they gave me. It's a 2018.

Jeep Wrangler JL P0456 won't clear! - not the gas cap 1637765214420

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Here's the full invoice. Unfortunately, it seems lacking in details, but this is all they gave me. It's a 2018.

Jeep Wrangler JL P0456 won't clear! - not the gas cap 1637765214420
Good to know. I just had the same code after replacing my batteries last week. My 3/36 warranty is expired as well.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@tylersam

A shame the Tech did not document more.... 8-( I'd want to know TSB applied, etc...
We'll assume he update to the newest avail...

Research TSB 18-092-19 on this forum..... Hopefully, your JL has had a PCM update that allows yourv 2018 JL to start if the Aux battery is depleted...

There is a possibility it left the factory with this update...

You can do a simple test to see if your 2018 will start with a depleted Aux battery. Good thing that you want your 2018 to be able to do.... to start even though Aux battery is depleted..

Anyway, do research TSB 18-092-19 .

tylersam

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
@tylersam

A shame the Tech did not document more.... 8-(

Research TSB 18-092-19 on this forum..... Hopefully, your JL has had a PCM update that allows yourv 2018 JL to start if the Aux battery is depleted...

There is a possibility it left the factory with this update...

You can do a simple test to see if your 2018 will start with a depleted Aux battery. Good thing that you want your 2018 to be able to do.... to start even though Aux battery is depleted..

Anyway, do research TSB 18-092-19 .

Will do - thanks!

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I just had this code pop up, oddly enough, just after I replaced my battery. Anyone had any luck clearing this with a Tazer? Don't want to put the Jeep in the shop for 3 weeks so they can update the PCM.

Twitch13

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlur
Have had this issue for awhile. Finally found the evap hose on the forward side of the gas tank lost a clamp and popped off.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I just had this code pop up, oddly enough, just after I replaced my battery. Anyone had any luck clearing this with a Tazer? Don't want to put the Jeep in the shop for 3 weeks so they can update the PCM.
Do you have a Tazer? If so, give it a shot. I wonder which combination of year/engine/software level causes this problem. a ton of these errors have been reported immediately after battery replacement.

Sponsored

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Do you have a Tazer? If so, give it a shot. I wonder which combination of year/engine/software level causes this problem. a ton of these errors have been reported immediately after battery replacement.
Yea I was able to clear it with the Tazer. So far it hasn’t come back.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Yea I was able to clear it with the Tazer. So far it hasn’t come back.
When you did your battery replacement, what order did you remove and install them in? Or do you have the Etorque battery?

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
When you did your battery replacement, what order did you remove and install them in? Or do you have the Etorque battery?
I have the 2.0 etorque so I only had to change the main battery.

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I had the same code pop up after replacing my batteries. I upgraded to the Genesis dual battery system, which meant removing the original batteries. The battery swap was a couple weeks ago, and I yesterday filled up for the first time since the battery swap. I've cleared the code, so we'll see if it comes back. If it does, now I know what to do. Thanks for the responders to the thread!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had the same code pop up after replacing my batteries. I upgraded to the Genesis dual battery system, which meant removing the original batteries. The battery swap was a couple weeks ago, and I yesterday filled up for the first time since the battery swap. I've cleared the code, so we'll see if it comes back. If it does, now I know what to do. Thanks for the responders to the thread!
@mikej

Could just be a coincidence... but.... Very well could be your 2018 just needs a fuel filler cap replacement.

I just had to change out the cap on my 2018. Examine of cap revealed severely compressed, dried out gasket on the cap.

Anyway, I cleared the code (P0452) installed a new cap and have been aok... no codes for a few days now and lots of driving time..

IF you opt to change out your cap, order/buy a 68484447AA Mopar Fuel Tank Filler Cap. That part# is the current revision offering.. IF the tether is longer on your current cap, swap tethers.
Sponsored