P0023 and ESS error came up today, backup cam issues as well

Unheard

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Driving to lunch, right before pulling into the parking lot I get a ding and an ess system error message and the ess caution light comes on. No big deal, I’ve got it disabled with the Tazer, I think to myself.

Go in, have lunch with my wife. I come back out, crank up the Jeep and now have a CEL on. Oh and I almost forgot, the backup cam started showing a blue screen.

Drive home without issue. Didn’t feel gimped or anything. Ran the Tazer check code feature when I got home and I’m seeing a P0023 error.

JEEP Camshaft Position B Actuator Circuit Bank 2

Cleared the code, restarted, it didn’t throw the CEL. Shut it off, started again, and it’s back, same code.

For the sake of covering all my bases I went ahead an disconnected both batteries and let it sit for a bit.

Came back, fired her up, no code, shut off, started again, code is back.

ESS has still been in error state the whole time.

This is a 2019 JLU. I’m wondering if it might be electrical, or just coincidental that both things happened right around the same time.

Any thoughts or insight? Trying to avoid having to go to the dealer if it’s something I can fix quickly.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I am getting Service auto stop/start and esc off lights in the dash. Been to the dealer 3 times and they were never able to pull the code because when you turn it off it disappears, until the last time I left it on and the service tech pulled that it was vacuum pump and they are back ordered. Still waiting! 2 weeks so far I venture it will be over a month before I hear anything. Never happens on my way to work. Only on my way home the minute I get to my street and boom lights appear!

OP
OP
Unheard

Unheard

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just tested, backup cam started working again.

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Voltage and load test both batteries separately. Bad batteries can cause those issues.

OP
OP
Unheard

Unheard

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Voltage and load test both batteries separately. Bad batteries can cause those issues.
How do I do that on the secondary battery?

Voltage looks good on both (just disconnects both leads from main and tested the separately)

Guess I need to run to Autozone for a load test.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Unheard

Unheard

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Autozone tested both batteries and they both came back fine. I reset the codes and drove home without a CEL (about a 10 minute drive). Once home I shut it off then started it back up and the CEL reappeared.

Guess I’m going to have to schedule some time with the dealer. At least it’s still mobile.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Unheard

I encourage you to ASAP, unmarry the Tazer JL and remove it. Don't forget to deal with the 2 disconnected security gateway cables..

By the way, I would absolutely not trust what Autozone told you in regard to your 2 batteries. They undoubtedly did not separate out the batteries... they did not load test, etc, each battery.. Having AutoZone do.. trusting what Autozone reports is a big mistake.

I am not saying or suggesting that your JL's issue is battery related.. Sure they could be problematic. Dealer needs to load test batteries, read codes, Diagnose. Do not clear codes any more.

OP
OP
Unheard

Unheard

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Unheard

I encourage you to ASAP, unmarry the Tazer JL and remove it. Don't forget to deal with the 2 disconnected security gateway cables..

By the way, I would absolutely not trust what Autozone told you in regard to your 2 batteries. They undoubtedly did not separate out the batteries... they did not load test, etc, each battery.. Having AutoZone do.. trusting what Autozone reports is a big mistake.

I am not saying or suggesting that your JL's issue is battery related..
Removing the Tazer is next on my list. As far as Autozone, I actually did the work on separating the batteries out in the parking lot and told them how to test individually.

The ESS error has self resolved as of last drive.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Removing the Tazer is next on my list. As far as Autozone, I actually did the work on separating the batteries out in the parking lot and told them how to test individually.

The ESS error has self resolved as of last drive.
Tazer JL should have been out of the picture already...

Autozone cannot load test your batteries properly. Takes Dealership Service Dept. 4 hrs (not a typo) to properly load test the pair. Each properly separated battery first has to be fully charged and then each load tested.

Autozone is laughable in regard to testing a JL's batteries.

OP
OP
Unheard

Unheard

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tazer JL should have been out of the picture already...

Autozone cannot load test your batteries properly. Takes Dealership Service Dept. 4 hrs (not a typo) to properly load test the pair. Each properly separated battery first has to be fully charged and then each load tested.

Autozone is laughable in regard to testing a JL's batteries.
Good to know. Also spoke to soon on the ESS error light, it’s back on now.

Scheduling with the dealer in the AM

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Unheard

Do not clear the code(s).

Unmarry and remove the Tazer JL and reconnect the 2 connections at the security gateway, ASAP!

IF you leave the 2 security gateway connections disconnected the Service Department's WiTechll will not be able to deal with/talk to you JL. And you do not want the Tazer JL married when the Tech works on your JL.... for numerous reasons..

ALSO, while you are there.. Tell the Service Writer what you are seeing. Make no mention of using a Tazer JL. Make you appt.. get it in for eval.

Do, ask to talk to the Service Manager. Politely tell the Service Manager you are very concerned about the battery(2) health on your 2019 JL ..... Ask that they LOAD TEST both batteries and let you see the load test results.

Without load test results no one knows what the health status of the batteries is.

By the way, as mentioned, Load Testing requires that the batteries be separated and both fully charged separately. Takes about 2 hrs. per battery to charge and load test.

IF, if they do not provide load test results (2 separate printouts) they did not load test both batteries. Again, charging & load testing the 2 batteris, will take 4 hrs. total time .... 2 hrs. for each battery.

Stetson

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2014 Ford Raptor
Occupation
Project Manager
It seems pretty common for people with tasers or other tuners to have some sort of fault or code or some sort of electrical issue.

I would always start with removing/unmarrying the taser or tuner and see if the Jeep operates normally for a while.

definitely agree with everyone above about making sure the taser is off the vehicle before going to the dealer.

OP
OP
Unheard

Unheard

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unmarried, removed, and rehooked up the oem safety module. Still having issues. Off to the dealer it is.

OP
OP
Unheard

Unheard

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update from the dealer, P0023 was a legit code, and they are replacing the sensor. They are also going to do an update on the radio to address the camera issue.

Both batteries load tested fine.

As far as the ESS issue, he said they would continue working on it if the radio update didnt fix it (I'm not hopeful on that, but I'm new to the Jeep, so who knows?)

Sensor was covered under warranty, radio update was not as 3/36 went out in May just before I bought the Jeep used.

EDIT: Called the aftermarket warranty company for the plan I bought and they will cover the update cost, just owe my deductible.

Last edited: