First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2020 Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Men and Ladies,

Decided on wheels, Factory Sport (7.5" 44.45mm offset 6" BS) to the Gladiator (8.5" 12mm offset 5.25" BS) should give me a little over an inch wider.

Now tires: 285/70/17 should give me a little less than an inch wider. So hoping for about 2" wider. Want to get a squaty wider look. No lift or spacers. We will drive mostly on paved roads with several beach trips per year. So looking at trade offs. Don't want to totally kill MPG so a 285 wide tire should not have a major impact. The P vs. LT is also a consideration as is tread pattern. The other consideration is road noise, want an aggressive look with the lowest road noise.

Looking at Falken Wildpeak A/T 3W , Nitto Ridge Grappler or Nitto Terra Grappler.

So, is my logic correct? Anyone running P tire with an aggressive tread? Nitto 285/70/17 Ridge Grappler?

Thanks!
Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The " P " designation is Passenger Car, thinner sidewalls, lower load limits. The LT, Light Truck designation thicker sidewalls alone are a good recommendation, a dog bit and punctured my "P" sidewalls, no issues with the LTs

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Might look at Rubicon takeoff tires (BFG K02s) in the site classifieds, should be able to get them for less than the sets you mentioned, and they are a high quality tire for sure.

Jerrybizzle

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Tech
For that use Iā€™d recommend the p as they are lighter and will yield better mpg. I agree with blnewt above you can get tires from a rubicon for very reasonable. Bf Goodrich all terrain 285 70 17 and they are nice tires. I sold 5 with 200 miles for $800 when I went to 37s. If you were to be off roading a lot or had a heavier vehicle that youā€™d be towing with Iā€™d recommend the LT version but for daily driving with occasional off road the p will be just fine.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
You may want to check this also. I think the P version of the 285 Faulken AT3w has a silica tread compound and the LT does not ( might be for 315 vs 35) . Iā€™ve looked at so many freakin tires that I am totally confused, but the silica tread is supposed to be much better in rain and slushy snow.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Freebooter

Freebooter

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2020 Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
You may want to check this also. I think the P version of the 285 Faulken AT3w has a silica tread compound and the LT does not ( might be for 315 vs 35) . Iā€™ve looked at so many freakin tires that I am totally confused, but the silica tread is supposed to be much better in rain and slushy snow.
Thanks man! I know what you mean!! I think I have read every thread on tires/wheels/brakes. I'm pretty much decided on the P for ride and MPG. The Nitto Ridge Grappler looks like an aggressive tire and comes in P. I am going to call Quadratec and see what advice they can provide. I was hoping someone had this tire.

JAC34

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Just stumbled across this thread as a Jeep rookie. I'm having same dilemma with my 2018 JL sahara. Want to get rid of factory tires/wheels and looking at the wildpeaks but don't understand the P vs LT and which is better suited.

Def prefer the better highway ride as I won't be doing a ton of off road but I will be doing some. Any feedback on which direction you went and the outcome? I call around and get mix opinions.

Bikemobile

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Falken Wildpeak AT3W LT285/70-17 in load range C. (Gladiator Rubicon Spec) I run mine at 30 psi and it rides like a cloud. I had E rated BFG's on the jeep when I bought it and they were rock hard. P-Rated tires will probably be fine for you. The P Tires come with 13/32 or so of tread depth. The LT's have 18/32 of tread depth new.

Get the LT's They look better too.
Sponsored