Oy the prices!

Sifko36

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Wrangler, 2023 Rubicon
Just to add to @Sazabi19 's post, in early July dealer's were simply not able to order the no-charge 4xe wheel, forcing customers to pay the $1,100 extra for the old (and previously free) style of wheel or they couldn't complete the order. Think this eventually changed in the past week or so, with both wheels now available to order (still not 100% sure about that).

You should be able to confirm this on your POC, if you've received one, or by entering your VON in the Jeep tracker and right-click on the preview photo (which only shows the 4xe wheel at the moment) and looking to see if the WGM ("upgrade" old-style wheel) order code is listed in the URL or not.
I ordered mine July 15th and received my POC with my VON same day. I don’t see any wheels listed on the POC. WGM does not appear in the url.
Jeep Wrangler JL Oy the prices! 116F5F1C-910C-48F8-A55F-FB9382118F8C
Sponsored

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
I ordered mine July 15th and received my POC with my VON same day. I don’t see any wheels listed on the POC. WGM does not appear in the url.
The newest order guides were released on 7/12, so the free/standard 4xe wheels must've been available starting then. Otherwise, you're getting a Wrangler sitting on blocks! ;)

johndan

First Name
Johndan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR (ordered and waiting…)
This, as someone already mentioned, is how capitalism works. Stellantis can't make enough Jeeps to meet demand (see the ordered/delivered thread for people—including me—complaining about how astonishingly long the build-to-delivery timeframe is).

I didn't do any research, but I assume Stellantis answers to its shareholders. If they started dropping prices, or even holding them constant given demand, they'd have some angry shareholder meetings.

Small point for reference: Meta just announced that the Oculus/Meta Quest headsets are going to increase by 33% soon. With no improvements in hardware or software.

Sifko36

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Wrangler, 2023 Rubicon
I checked the sticky on top of the forum with the order guides. Saw 7/12 one but only saw the “upgraded” wheels. Not really sure what’s going on. But all I do know is I have a POC and a VON for I’m guessing the standard wheels

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
This, as someone already mentioned, is how capitalism works. Stellantis can't make enough Jeeps to meet demand (see the ordered/delivered thread for people—including me—complaining about how astonishingly long the build-to-delivery timeframe is).

I didn't do any research, but I assume Stellantis answers to its shareholders. If they started dropping prices, or even holding them constant given demand, they'd have some angry shareholder meetings.

Small point for reference: Meta just announced that the Oculus/Meta Quest headsets are going to increase by 33% soon. With no improvements in hardware or software.
And that's the nice thing about free-market capitalism. Manufacturers and retailers are allowed to price their products accordingly based upon costs, perceived value and fluctuations in supply/demand. Conversely, consumers are allowed to speak with their wallets and either buy or not buy, or purchase something else entirely (whether from a competitor or the same company).

And regardless of our decision, we're certainly free to bitch about the prices! Doing so will likely have no discernible impact, but surprisingly enough, some supply-constrained products (like GPUs) have become readily available again and prices have actually dropped to below MSRP pricing. Always lots of factors in play, but the customer's wallet always has the loudest voice.

Sponsored

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
And that's the nice thing about free-market capitalism. Manufacturers and retailers are allowed to price their products accordingly based upon costs, perceived value and fluctuations in supply/demand. Conversely, consumers are allowed to speak with their wallets and either buy or not buy, or purchase something else entirely (whether from a competitor or the same company).

And regardless of our decision, we're certainly free to bitch about the prices! Doing so will likely have no discernible impact, but surprisingly enough, some supply-constrained products (like GPUs) have become readily available again and prices have actually dropped to below MSRP pricing. Always lots of factors in play, but the customer's wallet always has the loudest voice.
Where it gets really ugly is when there's a monopoly (total or localized) on a necessity. Then there's room for complaint, maybe even need for intervention.

But...

Jeeps are luxury goods in the first place, and as I mentioned above, it's not the vehicle that's inflating anyway, it's the options. Someone in another thread posted a window sticker for a 392 in Canada at $101,000. But you can buy a new JL Sport base at $30,000.

Oh, a Sport wont crawl where you want and isnt loud enough?

So, FCA is supposed to provide EXACTLY what buyers want at the price they want to pay, without regard to raises in material and labor cost? NAH.

BTW...dont blame it on legally required safety and environmental add-ons. Chevy Spark has all the law requires, and costs $14,000 new.

If that jeep is worth it to you, buy it. If it's not, don't.

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
I just went to the Jeep Build and Price site for Canada....Now I wasn't in the market for the 392 but Jesus H Christ that price is jaw-dropping. And it STARTS at that! STARTS!

Gross

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Where it gets really ugly is when there's a monopoly (total or localized) on a necessity. Then there's room for complaint, maybe even need for intervention.

But...

Jeeps are luxury goods in the first place, and as I mentioned above, it's not the vehicle that's inflating anyway, it's the options. Someone in another thread posted a window sticker for a 392 in Canada at $101,000. But you can buy a new JL Sport base at $30,000.

Oh, a Sport wont crawl where you want and isnt loud enough?

So, FCA is supposed to provide EXACTLY what buyers want at the price they want to pay, without regard to raises in material and labor cost? NAH.

BTW...dont blame it on legally required safety and environmental add-ons. Chevy Spark has all the law requires, and costs $14,000 new.

If that jeep is worth it to you, buy it. If it's not, don't.
$101k Canadian, not US.

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Are you volunteering to take your money elsewhere? I'm not.

If they didn't have a product that people were willing to buy at the prices offered then they wouldn't sell them. The numbers prove that we're willing to buy them at those prices.
People like me are on a buyer's strike. I'm just not paying it. I'm not alone.

I'll add that I'm working on buying an older, used Rubicon from a friend for a good price. It's a 2 door, which I don't really want, but it's only got a bit over 50k miles on it and it will suffice for now. Chrysler can take their price gouging and shove it up their bleeping bleep.

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
And anyone thinking companies are going to give up this post-covid gouging is only fooling themselves. They aren't going to give up these sweet extra high profits.
It's not going to be Stellantis who "gives up this gouging," it's going to be the Federal Reserve who breaks it off in the asz of all of these companies as they jack rates into the stratosphere. Try selling your overpriced junk when interest rates are in the double digits and there are no qualified buyers. These car companies better batten down the hatches, because the gravy train has already left the station.

Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

People like me are on a buyer's strike. I'm just not paying it. I'm not alone.

I'll add that I'm working on buying an older, used Rubicon from a friend for a good price. It's a 2 door, which I don't really want, but it's only got a bit over 50k miles on it and it will suffice for now. Chrysler can take their price gouging and shove it up their bleeping bleep.
That's one approach. As we've seen here there are plenty of us willing to hand our money to Stellantis for a quality product, keeping the money flowing through our economy.

Deleted member 59498

I just went to the Jeep Build and Price site for Canada....Now I wasn't in the market for the 392 but Jesus H Christ that price is jaw-dropping. And it STARTS at that! STARTS!

$79,628.34 US, on an average price across north America that is not terrible.

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
$79,628.34 US, on an average price across north America that is not terrible.
While we're sharing opinions, I think it's beyond terrible - it's HORRIFIC. Let's do a little exercise here:

$79,628 plus another $6k for tax and licensing. Let's assume $20,000 down. On a 7 year loan at the going rate for an average credit score you're looking at $965 per month. That's more than twice my mortgage on a house I bought in 2003 before the first housing bubble exploded (I put 20% down on the house).

There are all sorts of opinions on how much of monthly post-tax income should go towards a car payment, but a widely accepted maximum is 15% of monthly take home pay, since you still have fuel, insurance and maintenance to go along with shelter, food, and every other monthly expense.

So, assuming 15% of take home pay, you'd have to be taking home $6,500 per month. Factoring in taxes of about 22% per year, you'd have to be grossing over $100,000 per year to afford the Jeep. The median income of a US worker is $42,000, not even half of what's needed for the Jeep. Only 9% of US workers earn 6 figures or more. And remember, the $100k number is the BARE MINIMUM you'd need to earn to afford the Jeep.

Deleted member 59498

While we're sharing opinions, I think it's beyond terrible - it's HORRIFIC. Let's do a little exercise here:

$79,628 plus another $6k for tax and licensing. Let's assume $20,000 down. On a 7 year loan at the going rate for an average credit score you're looking at $965 per month. That's more than twice my mortgage on a house I bought in 2003 before the first housing bubble exploded (I put 20% down on the house).

There are all sorts of opinions on how much of monthly post-tax income should go towards a car payment, but a widely accepted maximum is 15% of monthly take home pay, since you still have fuel, insurance and maintenance to go along with shelter, food, and every other monthly expense.

So, assuming 15% of take home pay, you'd have to be taking home $6,500 per month. Factoring in taxes of about 22% per year, you'd have to be grossing over $100,000 per year to afford the Jeep. The median income of a US worker is $42,000, not even half of what's needed for the Jeep. Only 9% of US workers earn 6 figures or more. And remember, the $100k number is the MINIMUM you'd need to earn to afford the Jeep.
Well some do make that and more. Was not my point, I was comparing US and CND Dollars and the average for most 392s. They are a unique and awesome option for a Jeep.

If you don't want one don't buy it, I didn't. Not about what I can and can not afford. But not going to complain about people who do buy them, good on them. Its not horrific it is what it is and what the market supports.

Oh and you can get a new wrangler for 30 to 35k.

Oh and about 18% of workers in the US make 6 digits.

Last edited by a moderator:

t.i.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler buying soon
I start off by no offense as I don’t intend to but we all deserve it….

what did we expect when our elected officials poured $4 trillion dollars into the economy and told everyone to sit home I.e. no services or products being produced/rendered.
It doesn’t take a genius economist to figure it out that’s how you create inflation. Now this is result. So you can blame a company( Jeep) or whoever. I think we need to blame ourselves to be in this situation or just chalk it up to say we had no option because of Covid.

good luck to you all.
Sponsored

Last edited: