Sponsored

Owners Manual and DPF?

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 CJ3B Diesel, 2018 Camaro Hot Wheels Convertible, 2018 Dodge 3500 Diesel, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide White, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide Black, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
General Manager / Owner of CraneWorks Orlando
Vehicle Showcase
No offence..... but if you know how the system works, you would know that DPFs do and have been shown to cause diesel/oil dilution. To create regen condition (very very hot combustion temps), extra fuel is injected into the engine to start the regen process. 99% of vehicles in Europe do not have oil life monitors or the like, however when DPFs were introduced, I have experience with several that introduced oil service lights that were purely triggered by calculations that determined likely oil dilution levels due to the number of failed/attempted/successful 'active' regen cycles.

"A significant disadvantage associated with active regeneration is the dilution of the engine oil caused by a small amount of diesel during the post-injection cycles, where fuel is injected into the cylinder after the regular combustion. A thin layer of fuel can build up on the cylinder walls, which leads to premature engine wear, and drivers are warned to consider shorter oil service intervals.

There have been various studies into the engine oil dilution issue and the scale of the problem varies according to the make and model of the diesel car in question. Evidence suggests that the problem is worsened when the regeneration process is halted prematurely or when a car is used for short trips."

Some cars are notorious for this. Just google it.

"In modern light-duty Diesel vehicles the particulate filters in the exhaust system require periodic regeneration to prevent plugging. The regeneration procedure is a major cause of dilution of engine oil with diesel fuel. The dilution of engine oil with fuel in diesel engines is not a new issue, but with lowering emission limits it gained more attention recently. Modern light-duty diesel vehicles are equipped with diesel particulate filters (DPF) in the exhaust system accumulating the soot emissions. To prevent plugging these filters need to be regenerated periodically by adding unburned fuel into the exhaust system to burn off the soot. Many manufacturers implement in-cylinder post-injection cycles, where fuel is injected into the cylinder after the regular combustion (at the end of the power stroke and during exhaust stroke). During these late injections, a thin film of fuel can build up on the cylinder walls and be wiped by the piston into the lubrication system of the engine where it dilutes the engine oil [1,2]."
These are the facts from a EPA and the City of Niagara Falls Water Board study that was done in Jan 2020 because they were ordering their new fleet of trucks. I know the facts because I supplied 5 oil samples from my fleet of 9 Ram trucks with 6.7's from 2017's to 2020's to them. They wanted to go back to diesels because of the cost of engine replacements with their current gas fleet they have experienced. I have a good friend that was part of the study for both the FCA 6.7L AND 3.0L. One report they received back was oil analyses. The newly designed aftertreatment system combined with the new coated pistons and skits along with new designed piston rings has lowered fuel migration to between 0% and .02% in 17 samples with the average coming in at .0001% , You can Google and quote as many generic articles you please but they are not facts to the 3.0 EcoDiesel and should not be portrayed as facts. They are generic studies. Your whole post was Google quotes except one sentence.
Sponsored

Last edited:

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Seems like driving until regen completes is a smart thing and one of the basic accommodations diesel owners should adopt. That and smiling a lot. :)

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Seems like driving until regen completes is a smart thing and one of the basic accommodations diesel owners should adopt. That and smiling a lot. :)
But for the fact that not everyone may be able to easily discern when it is in regen. I'm thinking about trying a Scangauge II.

Last edited:

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 CJ3B Diesel, 2018 Camaro Hot Wheels Convertible, 2018 Dodge 3500 Diesel, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide White, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide Black, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
But for the fact that not everyone may not be able to easily discern when it is in regen. I'm thinking about trying a Scangauge II.
What would that do? I never heard of one. I haven't looked but is there a exhaust temp gauge in the Wrangler diesel. That would tell a lot if you knew what to look for. If you had a back pressure gauge and exhaust temp you would be set.

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
But for the fact that not everyone may not be able to easily discern when it is in regen. I'm thinking about trying a Scangauge II.
I know I’ve said this before, but I too wish fca would indicate on the dash display when a regen is in process. I have a Tazer Mini, if that could indicate a regen, that would be nice too.

Sponsored

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I know I’ve said this before, but I too wish fca would indicate on the dash display when a regen is in process. I have a Tazer Mini, if that could indicate a regen, that would be nice too.
I was under the assumption that besides a drop in instant fuel economy there was an indication regen commenced to avoid stopping before it ended.

JP 3.0

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins, 2020 JLUD
But for the fact that not everyone may be able to easily discern when it is in regen. I'm thinking about trying a Scangauge II.
I haven’t looked at the scangauge. I have an Edge Insight in my 6.7 ram and have been looking for something similar for the 3.0. It looks like the Banks monitor might be promising.

JP 3.0

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins, 2020 JLUD
I was under the assumption that besides a drop in instant fuel economy there was an indication regen commenced to avoid stopping before it ended.
There are no indications of a normal regen. If you are accustomed to your normal instant economy on a particular section of road then it can be an indication assuming wind, air temps, etc are all the same.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
What would that do? I never heard of one. I haven't looked but is there a exhaust temp gauge in the Wrangler diesel. That would tell a lot if you knew what to look for. If you had a back pressure gauge and exhaust temp you would be set.
Possibly nothing, I've yet to contact them and check compatibility. If compatible it should be able to display a whole host of parameters, including regen status.

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Possibly nothing, I've yet to contact them and check compatibility. If compatible it should be able to display a whole host of parameters, including regen status.
I just came from the sports car world to Jeep land. The sports car world has all kinds of pillar gauges that can be installed to tell anything they want. Is there anything like that for the Jeep. There are more aftermarket for Wranglers than for any other vehicle made in the world. I bet they beat Harley.

Sponsored

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Check this out, I just ordered one. Maybe it will show enough to let me know when it's in a regen. You can set warnings so if the exhaust temp or DPF back pressure is able to be displayed a warning could be set to whatever value you want.
Banks iDash 1.8 SuperGauge
https://www.bankspower.com/i-2593-b...kXkJyXacb_B7dV1RJvBccn-qOsehSzv4aAmYLEALw_wcB

Last edited:

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
If regen isn’t communicated to the driver then what happens when regen is stopped prematurely because driver made it to their destination? Starts all over again next drive?

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If regen isn’t communicated to the driver then what happens when regen is stopped prematurely because driver made it to their destination? Starts all over again next drive?
The regen would only continue if all conditions are met like exhaust temp, speed, ect. I would imagine if the regen was enough to reduce back pressure readings of the DPF to acceptable levels it wouldn't restart. There is not a lot of info on line so I am going to talk to the Dodge diesel tech that works on our company trucks under warranty to find out more on the 3.0

aros-can

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon (Punkn), 2003 Land Rover Defender 90 Td5, 1959 Land Rover Series 2a 109 SW
Please explain when and where this fuel is being injected and how the regen works.
The fuel is injected post combustion. This raises exhaust gas temperatures. The increased EGT burns off the soot in the DPF. Overfuelling raises EGTs. This is basically an active 'regen'.

As above, the regen is done by adding extra diesel into the cumbustion process raising EGTs. The problem is some of this diesel ends up not being burnt and coats the cylinder walls making its way into the sump diluting the engine oil.

This can and does happen. If you're using a diesel like a diesel should with long prolonged periods of operation and higher load conditions, most of this will evaporate off and not cause an issue. But it does need to be taken into account with oil change intervals.