Sponsored

Owned JLUR for one month, in the shop for almost 2 weeks!

FFCars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I’m just venting here... I picked up my 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on October 28th from Ed Voyles in Marietta, GA. Drove it 5 miles down to Fortec and had a Mopar lift installed, 37’s, and new wheels. Got it back a couple of days later and while driving it home I tried to adjust the passenger side mirror and it wouldn’t go up or down.

I took it to Ed Voyles on November 5th and they said I need an appointment, so I took back on the 7th and they couldn’t fix it. So they ordered parts and I took the Jeep home. It took a week to get a mirror. I took it back on the 14th and it’s still there. They’ve replaced the mirror, motor, switch, and harness AND it still isn’t fixed!

They’ve opened a case with Jeep. They gave me a very nice Chrysler 300 to drive, but I want my Jeep!

I’m so worried that it’s going to be grimy and grungy from all of this work on a Jeep with very few miles. Will it even still smell new? What about rattles? If they had to replace the harness, I assume that means they’ve taken apart the dash.

This is a $56,000+ vehicle plus $8,500 for Mopar lift, wheels/tires, install, and I’m not very happy with such a simple issue taking so long to fix.

On top of everything, my Jeep has the dreaded “vague steering”! They replaced the steering damper, so I hope that fixes it. My Jeep was built in late October, so how is this still an issue? Damn.

Thanks for listening...
Sponsored

OP
OP

FFCars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
By the way, I totally regret buying this Jeep. My wife is pissed off and said I should get it bought back. For a mirror? No way. But I don’t have the use of it, so she has a point.

I owned 2 JKUR’s and loved them. I’ve owned 3 grand cherokees and a 90’s Cherokee. So I’m a Jeep lover.... but I think the JL may have too many Italian problems.

I had a friend of mine explain Italian engineering to me like this:

A beautiful Italian car is like a beautiful woman. They require high maintenance, will occasionally leave you stranded, run hot, and don’t always want to do what you want. But they are so beautiful that it’s worth the price.

I’ve owned 4 Ferrari’s and 3 were a real PIA! The worst being a 1995 F355. It was the most beautiful, fun to drive, and had an amazing sound. But the engine had to come out for belt service and by the time I was done I was handed a $15k bill (lots of stuff needed done because “while the engine is out.... let’s do....”) I sold it as soon a possible and miss it every day. :)

Maybe the JL is TOO MUCH FIAT. After all, have you seen a Fiat 500 up close? Would you buy one? Not me.

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
I’m sorry you’re already having problems. All I want to do is drive my new Jeep so I know how much it must suck to have it in the shop for so long already. I hope the dampener fixes the steering issue. :fingerscrossed:

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I’m just venting here... I picked up my 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on October 28th from Ed Voyles in Marietta, GA. Drove it 5 miles down to Fortec and had a Mopar lift installed, 37’s, and new wheels. Got it back a couple of days later and while driving it home I tried to adjust the passenger side mirror and it wouldn’t go up or down.

I took it to Ed Voyles on November 5th and they said I need an appointment, so I took back on the 7th and they couldn’t fix it. So they ordered parts and I took the Jeep home. It took a week to get a mirror. I took it back on the 14th and it’s still there. They’ve replaced the mirror, motor, switch, and harness AND it still isn’t fixed!

They’ve opened a case with Jeep. They gave me a very nice Chrysler 300 to drive, but I want my Jeep!

I’m so worried that it’s going to be grimy and grungy from all of this work on a Jeep with very few miles. Will it even still smell new? What about rattles? If they had to replace the harness, I assume that means they’ve taken apart the dash.

This is a $56,000+ vehicle plus $8,500 for Mopar lift, wheels/tires, install, and I’m not very happy with such a simple issue taking so long to fix.

On top of everything, my Jeep has the dreaded “vague steering”! They replaced the steering damper, so I hope that fixes it. My Jeep was built in late October, so how is this still an issue? Damn.

Thanks for listening...

I had a similar service issue - 1500 miles on the odometer of my '19 JLR 3.6 and it dumped all its coolant suddenly one night. 4 weeks in the shop and an entire dash-out replacement of the heater core. I was furious, and ended up getting my first payment covered by Jeep when I opened a case with Jeep Wave.

All is well now and I'm about to hit 5000 miles. I had a couple marks here and there on the dash from disassembly but honestly at this point I couldn't stomach giving it back to them for any reason. It's a jeep, it's going to get dirty and dusty (mine is, at least!). No rattles, no more mechanical issues, and I take it on some really rough terrain that'd shake up any assembly errors. The JLR is my favorite vehicle I've owned to date and most of its miles are trail miles - they're a heck of a lot of fun and for me the fun outweighs the unhappy moments.

Hope you and your wife will give them a chance to make it right, I can't imagine having this much fun in any other vehicle given the terrain in my area.

For what it's worth BTW, my friend's JLU had a similar issue with the passenger mirror not adjusting. Turned out to be a bent pin in the driver's side door connector. I would imagine they're all over both doors in troubleshooting this but on the off chance they haven't looked at the pins on both driver and passenger door umbilicals maybe it's worth nudging them in that direction.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure what to say. I’ve owned many Jeeps and one or two turned out to be problematic; the rest were fine.

One thing is clear, the quality of dealer service we receive does not match the $50,000+ prices Jeep likes to collect for these things.

Hope you get your Jeep back soon.

Sponsored

jthoms1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

Thanks for listening...
Sorry bud...I’ve had mine for 7800 glorious trouble free miles. This place is a magnet for confirmation bias....a small number of people with issues looking for others with issues. You will quickly attract the naysayer crowd. I’m not throwing shade or diminishing your issues. Don’t throw in the towel on your dream of owning a Jeep though, or let this issue taint whatever visions you had of yourself cruising the highways and byways with top down and doors off.

OP
OP

FFCars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
More bad news...

FCA said they need to replace a main wiring harness to see if that will fix the issue. It will take 5 to 7 days to get the part and a couple of days to install. So it’s been in the shop for 15 days and if you add 7 to 9 days and this fixes the issue, I’ll have been without my Jeep for 22 to 24 days out of the 30+ days I’ve owned it. I’m not happy about this.

The service adviser said they have to completely take apart the dash. I’m very worried they will scratch it up and it will develop rattles.

Hopefully that will fix the issue. I’m first payment is due next week and haven’t had the dang thing long enough to even enjoy it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

FFCars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
As for the comments about cost...

The lift installed was about $2k, the tires were $456 each ($2,280), wheels were $299 each ($1,499 and I’m getting a $300 rebate). Plus I added the Mopar spare tire relation bracket and the Mopar tailgate reinforcement kit. And of course I bought a programmer. So yes, $8,500 for the lift, tires/wheels and supporting hardware that I wanted. I love how it looks!

I sold the stock wheels and tires for $1,350 to recoup some of the money spent.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I'd just like to say, it's a $29,000.00 Jeep. It's literally a budget vehicle. If you paid more than that it's because you couldn't stop adding options.

I don't expect much from a budget vehicle and neither should you. Your vehicle will get fixed. Have a little patience.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I'd just like to say, it's a $29,000.00 Jeep. It's literally a budget vehicle. If you paid more than that it's because you couldn't stop adding options.

I don't expect much from a budget vehicle and neither should you. Your vehicle will get fixed. Have a little patience.
This view point literally makes zero sense.

1. It doesn't matter how the MSRP is reached. The price is the price and the fact that options make up a portion of it does not make the vehicle worth less.

This is like having a house built and selecting upgrades. If the base price of the home is 500k and you select 200k in upgrades you don't own a 500k house. You own a 700k home.

2. The MSRP with zero options is over 40k on a Rubicon.

No matter how you look at it, it is not a 29k vehicle.

Now do I feel Wranglers are ridiculously overpriced for what they are? Yes. Do I think 29k is a more suitable price? Yes. Do I get to set the market value for the product? No.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
This view point literally makes zero sense.

1. It doesn't matter how the MSRP is reached. The price is the price and the fact that options make up a portion of it does not make the vehicle worth less.

This is like having a house built and selecting upgrades. If the base price of the home is 500k and you select 200k in upgrades you don't own a 500k house. You own a 700k home.

2. The MSRP with zero options is over 40k on a Rubicon.

No matter how you look at it, it is not a 29k vehicle.

Now do I feel Wranglers are ridiculously overpriced for what they are? Yes. Do I think 29k is a more suitable price? Yes. Do I get to set the market value for the product? No.
The Rubicon is a trim package. It's a group of parts tailored for a specific task. It's nothing magical, and union workers don't put extra craftsmanship or dedication into building it better. A few parts are better 100% but it's nothing a guy couldn't order from the parts desk and build himself. Or better yet get aftermarket.

So yes, a Jeep is a 29k vehicle with options. Call it trim levels if that helps.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
The Rubicon is a trim package. It's a group of parts tailored for a specific task. It's nothing magical, and union workers don't put extra craftsmanship or dedication into building it better. A few parts are better 100% but it's nothing a guy couldn't order from the parts desk and build himself. Or better yet get aftermarket.

So yes, a Jeep is a 29k vehicle with options. Call it trim levels if that helps.
When you order a pizza do you refuse to pay for the toppings you selected because a cheese pizza only costs $10?
Sponsored