Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Snazzleberry, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee,
Because people are dumb and manufacturers have to warranty dumb? You've probably never seen a vehicle with a locker with a donut spare either? Not because the transfer case or locker change the operation of the spider gears and make it impossible to run an undersized spare, but because some dumb ass will throw it in 4lo and turn on the lockers regardless. Of course this will cause problems. If you understand that the use of said spare precludes the use of said items, there's no difference between your jeep and a Honda civic as far as the dif is concerned. How many factory vehicles have you seen on 38's? I guess that means we can't run them under your same logic?
Thanks for your responses, it's nice to read useful information on a topic many wonder about. There is alway once person that will be childish and want to argue to the point they make zero sense. Although I wouldn't roll with a smaller tire I have thought about it mainly for the money savings
Sponsored

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
Put it on the front, the FAD disconnect means the diameter difference won't impact the differential in 2wd when it's disconnected. . I guess the passenger front would be ideal but it probably doesn't matter at all.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Two different diameter tires on the front will cause the steering to pull hard. if you are a long way from a well stocked tire store that could also be a problem. Not only heating up the power steering but causing excessive wear on the taller front tire.

There is really no reason not to have a spare tire that is at least the same diameter or very close. There are areas west of where I live where it could be 100 miles or more to a tire store and they will likely only have a small selection. In small towns those places close at 5 or 6 and are not open on Sundays.

These days even most major tire stores may not have the tire you need in stock. For those of you who are always close to a city, you can probably get by with no spare or a small spare. The last place I would want to be with a small spare would be someplace like Big Bend National Park.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Two different diameter tires on the front will cause the steering to pull hard. if you are a long way from a well stocked tire store that could also be a problem. Not only heating up the power steering but causing excessive wear on the taller front tire.

There is really no reason not to have a spare tire that is at least the same diameter or very close. There are areas west of where I live where it could be 100 miles or more to a tire store and they will likely only have a small selection. In small towns those places close at 5 or 6 and are not open on Sundays.

These days even most major tire stores may not have the tire you need in stock. For those of you who are always close to a city, you can probably get by with no spare or a small spare. The last place I would want to be with a small spare would be someplace like Big Bend National Park.
Especially true for those of us with "larger" tires that are unlikely to be available at local tire shops.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Would it be possible to get a spare of the same rolling diameter, but much narrower. This would save weight, spare wouldn't stick out so far ; there are 35" tires, 9.5-10" wide, Summit Racing has a good selection. Rim could be original, due to the narrow tire width. Just a thought, might be worth checking out
Yes, BFGoodrich used to make 33x9.5x15 or 33x10.5x15 or 34x10.5x17 (they still do I think). Interco makes a couple narrow 35x9.5 and 35x10.5. Once you run a tall narrow tire, you realize it's better and you won't run the wider 12.5 and 13.5 tires anymore...I'm being facetious, but truly, for the love of all that is holy I wish I could find more 35x10.5 tires out there.

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Easy answer. Yes. Just don’t use it on an LSD or a locked axle. The rest of the other crap people are spewing is just that. Crap.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Easy answer. Yes. Just don’t use it on an LSD or a locked axle. The rest of the other crap people are spewing is just that. Crap.
Except for, of course, the commentary about not doing that with the front tires, right? That would pull like crazy.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I'd at least try to get a spare that's close to your other tire sizes just so if & when the need arises the limping home won't be so unusual. All 5 tires are the size on mine, the spare is a different brand/type though. I will keep the same spare when I mount my 315/70s in the near future as my current 295/70s aren't nearly as off as a stock 245/75 would be.
Not ideal I know, but that spare fully aired up vs. my 315s aired down shouldn't be too crazy different lol

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
The only time that someone can't afford the 5th oversize tire, is when they are not exercising patience. Wait a bit longer, and do it right.

Jeep Wrangler JL oversized tires with OEM spare? 20220305_101559_resized_20220317-122952
Agreed. If you can't afford the spare when you buy the first four you are cutting it way too close. This is an expensive "hobby".

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
The only time that someone can't afford the 5th oversize tire, is when they are not exercising patience. Wait a bit longer, and do it right.

20220305_101559_resized_20220317-122952.jpg
I figure I'll patiently wait for my 315/70s to be worn down, then use one of those for a spare on my next new set of 315s. I did it the right way currently though (5-295/70s), so do I get any points for that??? :)

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I figure I'll patiently wait for my 315/70s to be worn down, then use one of those for a spare on my next new set of 315s. I did it the right way currently though (5-295/70s), so do I get any points for that??? :)
You're one of the good guys around here, so that deserves some leeway. :like: