oversized tires with OEM spare?

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
The only time that someone can't afford the 5th oversize tire, is when they are not exercising patience. Wait a bit longer, and do it right.
100%. I also own a Corvette and see this all the time on Corvette forums with people asking, “is this $300 exhaust any good?”:CWL:
Sponsored

DogsRule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JL
My PO bought 5 tires and 4 +30 offset aftermarket rims. Put the 5th tire on the oem steel rim of +44 offset as the spare. So they're all same diameter, but spare is different offset. Not sure how'd that different spare would feel long haul. But it fit the oem carrier. The aftermarket rim would poke out too far. I'm left to deal with it.

Medsker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I once drove my 2011 Power Wagon 100 miles on the freeway at 70mph with a 33 inch tire on the left front and 37 inch tires everywhere else. It pulled a little but not near as much as people are suggesting. I didn't have any problem doing it. I'd say go for it and then buy the fifth tire when you can afford it. That's just my opinion.

micahpop

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
My PO bought 5 tires and 4 +30 offset aftermarket rims. Put the 5th tire on the oem steel rim of +44 offset as the spare. So they're all same diameter, but spare is different offset. Not sure how'd that different spare would feel long haul. But it fit the oem carrier. The aftermarket rim would poke out too far. I'm left to deal with it.
How do you know what kind of tires your parole officer bought?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
If the 4 wheels are the same width that +44 offset will be inward 14mm from the others but if the 4 are 8.5" then the +44 will be inward 27mm more, so you may have clearance issues at the fender, suspension but hopefully ok for limping to a service shop.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
My thoughts are with Brad above. I'll just add that if used on the front, you may feel a bit of strangeness due to the unmatched scrub radius.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I once drove my 2011 Power Wagon 100 miles on the freeway at 70mph with a 33 inch tire on the left front and 37 inch tires everywhere else. It pulled a little but not near as much as people are suggesting. I didn't have any problem doing it. I'd say go for it and then buy the fifth tire when you can afford it. That's just my opinion.
I've had to do similar, for the sake of getting back to home base. I can't remember a single flat that didn't happen on a Sunday when everything besides the mall is closed.

I've always opted for putting the mismatch on the non driven axle, even if it meant having to do a half rotation on the roadside. As far as pull, it's really only felt when braking and the oddball is up front. The firmer the brake is pressed, the harder it'll pull, due to the brakes having more leverage over the shorter tire. When on the back, or not braking, the most noticeable thing is the lean of the vehicle.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Not that I have oversized tires but I recently changed sizes (a bit) and bought the 5th tire. I plan on staying with the size/brand. If I'm traveling, I won't have to worry about an oddity of a mismatched size if needing to drive a few hundred miles.

Spouses hybrid has no spare but that's about to change. A few companies make a self-contained kit with a tire than can travel at highway speeds and matches the size vs just a temp spare.

Billkowski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 80th 2D 3.6 Etorque, 2023 JT Mojave
I'd at least try to get a spare that's close to your other tire sizes just so if & when the need arises the limping home won't be so unusual. All 5 tires are the size on mine, the spare is a different brand/type though. I will keep the same spare when I mount my 315/70s in the near future as my current 295/70s aren't nearly as off as a stock 245/75 would be.
Not ideal I know, but that spare fully aired up vs. my 315s aired down shouldn't be too crazy different lol
With you on this, I may go up a size or 2 when/if I upgrade my 33s, I will likely buy the same brand and keep the smaller tire as my spare. If i put any larger tire on the tailgate it will open a pandora's box of changes I will have to do to the tailgate, I prefer to forgo the expense of a reinforced tailgate if I can help it. I doubt an inch of tire difference is going impact anything for the 25 miles it might take me to get the tire fixed.
Sponsored