Sponsored

Oversized Spare Tire Carrier Needed for 35's?

Marlene

First Name
Marlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Graphic Designer
Vehicle Showcase
My spare was shaking a lot when off-roading with my 35s. I bought the Mopar kit and it’s perfect.

019A23B1-DFA2-438B-BF55-0BC1340B5ED4.jpeg
LOOKS AWESOME! This is the look I am going for!
This is a Sahara, correct? What size lift and brand do you have?
Sponsored

Marlene

First Name
Marlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Graphic Designer
Vehicle Showcase
66507C3F-5F01-4EC7-852F-F5380637A08A.jpeg

Thank you so much. It’s the Rubicon with 35s and no lift yet.
Ah, a Rubi... Yeah, sadly I do not have as much clearance as you do with my JLUS.
Those rims are killer too... what brand?

Ghagen1

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JL Rubicon
Looks great. Did you get both the tail gate reinforcement kit and the oversized spare tire relocation kit? Thanks

Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Yeah I suppose and I could see it being a real problem if the tire was sticking out causing a lot more leverage on the carrier and the tailgate. However, having it tucked up very close to the tailgate itself would cause far less leverage/ stress on all components. Mine nearly touches the tailgate and the bottom of the tire is firmly against the bottom of bumper along the sidewall.

We'll see long term. Only one off road trip and so far so good.
So I have been on the Rubicon and various other places. No issues. I climbed a steep grade of large loose bolders and wanted to hold my momentum being that I have a manual and this hill was steep. I was bouncing all over pretty damn hard. If something was going to break that would have been the time.

It has at the high lakes ohv area coming up from Morris lake. 300 yards. Very steep big rocks. Slamming undercarriage on 35’s.

So yeah no reinformcent kit. Literally cut a hole in the stock plastic bumper to fit the tire. Nice and snug.

Last edited:

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL
Sport S here with 35" but -44 offset no lift. Fits on the tire carrier fine with very little rubbing on the rear bumper because of the offset. I did make sure the rear isolators were extended to the tire. I would love to know if it is 85 pounds total or 85 pounds in addition to the stock wheel\tire because I might be pushing 120-130 pounds with my 20 x 12 inch wheels. I have seen videos online where they prove and show that the JL has a better* tailgate that should* handle more weight than the JK. I can link it if you guys want. I do have concerns though my park assist does not work, my camera is obstructed heavily and I wonder of the longevity of the tailgate with the added weight. So does it work with my offset? yes, but seems like aftermarket has not addressed all of my concerns yet, at least not in 1 package. And P.S. I do rub on fender with no lift but only while turning and driving a little fast, a lift in the near future might be needed.

IMG_8174.JPG

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Just an FYI

The 245/75R17 Goodyear Wrangler Adventure AT tires on the Sport weighs 48lbs
The Base Sport wheel (PN SVH23TRMAA) is only 28lbs.

So 76lbs total for the AT option on the Sport or Sport S.

I’m probably getting the FUEL Beast 17x9 or the ICON Rebound 17x8.5 they weight 34 and 30lbs respectively but the Falken Wildpeak A/T3Ws I’m looking at (315/70R17) weigh 73lbs. So I’m looking at 107lbs total with the Beast.

Sponsored

Brazilbombsqd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
According to the 2018 All-New Wrangler Owner's Manual on page 412.

NOTE: If you have added aftermarket accessories to the spare tire mounted carrier, it cannot exceed a gross weight of 85 lbs (38.5 kg) including the weight of the spare tire.

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A
According to the 2018 All-New Wrangler Owner's Manual on page 412.

NOTE: If you have added aftermarket accessories to the spare tire mounted carrier, it cannot exceed a gross weight of 85 lbs (38.5 kg) including the weight of the spare tire.
Anyone know what the stock Rubicon spare tire weighs in at?