Sponsored

Oversized Spare Tire Carrier Needed for 35's?

x3L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MOJITO! JLUR 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
Curious if anyone is running 35's and if the oversized spare carrier is needed or not? Appreciate any info and pics. Thanks.
Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
On a Rubicon it sounds like it fits fine but I hear conflicting reports on the Sport/Sahara. Some say it barely fits and some say it doesn't.

The Rough Country relocation bracket is only $80 and works perfect. There's a few others out there as well.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I've got 35" KO2's on my Rubicon with no mod to the tailgate and haven't had a problem. Fit is tight though, if the Sahara or Sport have less clearance, I doubt they'd fit.

IMG_5288.JPG

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Future reference for other people reading this.

35’s will not fit on the back of a sport. It will absolutely rub the bottom of the tire on the bumper. With stock wheels.

This is with Cooper Stt pros. Maybe bfg ko2’s will fit because they don’t run quite as big but I doubt it.

Wrangler847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler
Future reference for other people reading this.

35’s will not fit on the back of a sport. It will absolutely rub the bottom of the tire on the bumper. With stock wheels.

This is with Cooper Stt pros. Maybe bfg ko2’s will fit because they don’t run quite as big but I doubt it.
What about some aftermarket 35 duratracs on motometals with -12mm

Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
What about some aftermarket 35 duratracs on motometals with -12mm
If the backspacing is 4.5 or more then you shouldn’t hit the bumper. That’ll push out your tire pretty far tho so make sure to extent the rubber isolators.

Wrangler847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler
My 35" Duratrac tire and moto rim together is like over 100lbs. How are people with 37s and staying under 85lbs? the rims?

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
My 35" Duratrac tire and moto rim together is like over 100lbs. How are people with 37s and staying under 85lbs? the rims?
Their not. I read somewhere that the weight limit is factory spare + 85lbs. Don’t quote me on that though. Probably says only 85lbs in the manual but I haven’t looked.

Mine is around 92-96 pounds. Tailgate feels fine closing and opening. I literally cut a hole in my rear bumper so the tire sits nearly flush with the tailgate and bottom backside of the bumper. Can’t see the hole unless the tailgate is open. I also don’t give a shit lol.

Pressurized

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I can tell you that the right rear corner of a JL is not nearly as strong as a JK. We did a side by side comparison of the 2 and if you lean on the tailgate of the JL, the body flexes a lot... I would not run a bigger tire long term on a stock JL hanger. The Mopar solution is expensive, but as soon as other aftermarket tire hangers hit the market I encourage you to pick one up or risk damage to your tailgate/hinge.

Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I can tell you that the right rear corner of a JL is not nearly as strong as a JK. We did a side by side comparison of the 2 and if you lean on the tailgate of the JL, the body flexes a lot... I would not run a bigger tire long term on a stock JL hanger. The Mopar solution is expensive, but as soon as other aftermarket tire hangers hit the market I encourage you to pick one up or risk damage to your tailgate/hinge.
What do you mean by lean? Like arms crossed back against the tailgate while open? Or putting your entire weight on it?

Pressurized

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
What do you mean by lean? Like arms crossed back against the tailgate while open? Or putting your entire weight on it?
More than just leaning on it... But you have to think about what that tire is doing back there while you are driving. Especially while off roading. What G force do you achive hung off the back like that?

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
More than just leaning on it... But you have to think about what that tire is doing back there while you are driving. Especially while off roading. What G force do you achive hung off the back like that?
Yeah I suppose and I could see it being a real problem if the tire was sticking out causing a lot more leverage on the carrier and the tailgate. However, having it tucked up very close to the tailgate itself would cause far less leverage/ stress on all components. Mine nearly touches the tailgate and the bottom of the tire is firmly against the bottom of bumper along the sidewall.

We'll see long term. Only one off road trip and so far so good.

Pressurized

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I suppose and I could see it being a real problem if the tire was sticking out causing a lot more leverage on the carrier and the tailgate. However, having it tucked up very close to the tailgate itself would cause far less leverage/ stress on all components. Mine nearly touches the tailgate and the bottom of the tire is firmly against the bottom of bumper along the sidewall.

We'll see long term. Only one off road trip and so far so good.
It will take time before it's an issue... But, if your tire is supported on the bumper, that's the best possible scenario. The bumper will absorb most of the weight. You are probably good to go.

First Name
Jr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Military
My spare was shaking a lot when off-roading with my 35s. I bought the Mopar kit and it’s perfect.

019A23B1-DFA2-438B-BF55-0BC1340B5ED4.jpeg
Sponsored