Sponsored

Oversized Spare Tire Carrier Needed for 35's?

Jef

First Name
Jef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL
I just upgraded my 2020 JL Sport to 315/70/17s (-6mm) with Goodyear Duratracs. The spare will not fit, so I purchased the Roughcountry re-locator as a temp fix till I find a bumper/tire carrier that I like. Unfortunately I do not recommend this as moving the tire up and away as it gives the 104lb weight of my tire more leverage on the tailgate. I am going to end up pulling the spare off and throwing it in the back until I get a bumper. I hate the ghetto spare look, but it is better than messing up the jeep in the long run.

P.S. There is a lot of rattling while driving down the road and I cringe going over speed bumps.

IMG_20200409_111939.jpg

IMG_20200409_111929.jpg

IMG_20200409_111924.jpg

JeepinUSA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport
Their not. I read somewhere that the weight limit is factory spare + 85lbs. Don’t quote me on that though. Probably says only 85lbs in the manual but I haven’t looked.

Mine is around 92-96 pounds. Tailgate feels fine closing and opening. I literally cut a hole in my rear bumper so the tire sits nearly flush with the tailgate and bottom backside of the bumper. Can’t see the hole unless the tailgate is open. I also don’t give a shit lol.
@intentsrig Would it be possible for you to upload a few pics of the hole you cut to fit your 35’s? I am trying to fit a Kenda Klever 35x10.50R17 (265/85R17) tire on the stock carrier on the stock 17” steel rims. I test fit it on the carrier (tailgate obviously open) and it seems like it fits well (raised the high mounted third brake light up). It is contacting the plastic bumper cover of course. With the tire only being ~20mm wider than the stock tires (I only have to deal with 10mm going in towards the tailgate). I may not have to even touch the rubber isolaters on the tailgate, considering I’m also installing an additional brake light within the rim that actually gets mounted before the spare tire, on the carrier. I have the Rough Country adapter plate but I know I’m pushing that ~85lb limit and would want to keep things
Their not. I read somewhere that the weight limit is factory spare + 85lbs. Don’t quote me on that though. Probably says only 85lbs in the manual but I haven’t looked.

Mine is around 92-96 pounds. Tailgate feels fine closing and opening. I literally cut a hole in my rear bumper so the tire sits nearly flush with the tailgate and bottom backside of the bumper. Can’t see the hole unless the tailgate is open. I also don’t give a shit lol.
@intentsrig
Please would you mind uploading a few pictures of the cuts/modifications you made to your rear bumper to accommodate the spare tire? What tools did you use?

I have a Kenda Klever 35x10.50R17 (265/85R17) mounted on the stock black steelie rim and would like to mount on the stock tire carrier. I moved the high mounted third brake light up and then with the tailgate open I test fit the setup. It seemed to fit quite well there as these tires are only ~20mm wider than the stock tires were (so only ~10mm wider going towards the tailgate). I have bought a spare tire brake light "ring/plate" that mounts on the carrier (studs), before the tire is mounted and isn't too thick where I don't have enough thread to bolt the tire but it will push the setup back out a bit so i'm thinking there won't even be an issue with the rubber isolaters mounted on the tailgate, they are pretty compliant as is and could be trimmed, also, haha.

Obviously the 35" tall dimension is the show stopper. I have already purchased the Rough Country adapter bracket and even though it only moves the tire out 1" I know I am at ~92lb or so and am worried about the additional torque / moment arm on the carrier / tailgate / tailgate hinges. I think it raises the tire up ~2.25" so a little less visibility out the rear window. It's also a bit more work once the RC adapter plate is installed as i'll have to extend the bump stops (I have already bought the 1.25" PVC pipe and rubber chair leg cups from Home Depot) and then the high mounted third brake light will be covered by the tire so that should be relocated but at least I'll have a viable third brake light in the interim with that third brake light "ring/plate".

I have two kids and very little spare time and so am looking for the quickest and safest method to get this spare tire on, cheaper always is nice too! Believe it or not, I'll be bringing the kids to daycare in this 2door JL! One is an infant and the other is 3.5 years old and forward facing in his carseat. He has already been in the Jeep many times so we have our ingress/egress procedure down haha Thank you very much in advance for your time in reading this and the pics too, if you can get there!

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
@intentsrig Would it be possible for you to upload a few pics of the hole you cut to fit your 35’s? I am trying to fit a Kenda Klever 35x10.50R17 (265/85R17) tire on the stock carrier on the stock 17” steel rims. I test fit it on the carrier (tailgate obviously open) and it seems like it fits well (raised the high mounted third brake light up). It is contacting the plastic bumper cover of course. With the tire only being ~20mm wider than the stock tires (I only have to deal with 10mm going in towards the tailgate). I may not have to even touch the rubber isolaters on the tailgate, considering I’m also installing an additional brake light within the rim that actually gets mounted before the spare tire, on the carrier. I have the Rough Country adapter plate but I know I’m pushing that ~85lb limit and would want to keep things

@intentsrig
Please would you mind uploading a few pictures of the cuts/modifications you made to your rear bumper to accommodate the spare tire? What tools did you use?

I have a Kenda Klever 35x10.50R17 (265/85R17) mounted on the stock black steelie rim and would like to mount on the stock tire carrier. I moved the high mounted third brake light up and then with the tailgate open I test fit the setup. It seemed to fit quite well there as these tires are only ~20mm wider than the stock tires were (so only ~10mm wider going towards the tailgate). I have bought a spare tire brake light "ring/plate" that mounts on the carrier (studs), before the tire is mounted and isn't too thick where I don't have enough thread to bolt the tire but it will push the setup back out a bit so i'm thinking there won't even be an issue with the rubber isolaters mounted on the tailgate, they are pretty compliant as is and could be trimmed, also, haha.

Obviously the 35" tall dimension is the show stopper. I have already purchased the Rough Country adapter bracket and even though it only moves the tire out 1" I know I am at ~92lb or so and am worried about the additional torque / moment arm on the carrier / tailgate / tailgate hinges. I think it raises the tire up ~2.25" so a little less visibility out the rear window. It's also a bit more work once the RC adapter plate is installed as i'll have to extend the bump stops (I have already bought the 1.25" PVC pipe and rubber chair leg cups from Home Depot) and then the high mounted third brake light will be covered by the tire so that should be relocated but at least I'll have a viable third brake light in the interim with that third brake light "ring/plate".

I have two kids and very little spare time and so am looking for the quickest and safest method to get this spare tire on, cheaper always is nice too! Believe it or not, I'll be bringing the kids to daycare in this 2door JL! One is an infant and the other is 3.5 years old and forward facing in his carseat. He has already been in the Jeep many times so we have our ingress/egress procedure down haha Thank you very much in advance for your time in reading this and the pics too, if you can get there!
Unfortunately that bumper was in the dumpster a long time ago. I currently run no bumper and only have Rusty's rear corner fascia armor. Which actually took a good hit to a rock and held up. I only did the side pieces as well and did not put the middle piece on. I will look for old pictures.

I can tell you that it was real hack job and did not have smooth cuts but like I said before, you could not see it with the tailgate closed and I really did not care.

Whatever you end up doing, just make sure you extend at least one of the bump stops with PVC or however you end up doing it so that way the tire is firmly in place. You should be able to extend the height of your third brake light by unbolting where it is now and raising it up. At least that's what I did.

Really I would not worry about the strength of the hinge or tailgate. I have seriously rallied my Jeep up some rocky trails at a decent speed. Enough to cause one of my JCR half doors to unlatch and fly open. Aired down/ sway bars disconnected and just full send trying to outrun a thunder storm. Not to mention a dozen trips to the Rubicon and other trails. Nothing bend or broke on the hinge or tailgate. Never even started sagging. That's with a 37 and method 701 or 702. The hinge itself is way different than the JK. It is strong enough that metalcloaks tire carrier does not even address it. When I took it apart to install a rugged ridge hinge/ bracket that my buddy gave me, I was impressed with how the stock hinge is attached. It's not just connected to the body but instead to the subframe inside the Jeep.

This is all I have. I cut on the sides mainly too so I could fit the tire.

6BE0FCC8-14FB-4215-9EBD-3C2B5BED5FDD.jpeg

2BCE9ED2-ED68-4FAB-9F18-E5577DEC1FEC.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited: