Sponsored

Overlanding without a roof rack, exterior storage or seat delete? Sky OneTouch top challenge

OP
OP
Quick

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
We’ve been using the Vector GGB shelf and love it. My wife and I have been glamping in the Jeep for a few years now. No kids or dog, so we certainly have less to pack. This is also my daily driver, so everything you see in the first pic can be stored like that with the rear seats in normal upright position. And we chose to go with the Rhino Rack and iKamper RTT, which means we don’t need to store a tent, sleeping bags, pillows, inside the Jeep.

Here are a few pics - might give you some internal storage ideas...

2EEB286D-8033-49EC-B75A-8FCA368AB47D.jpeg

D8A8A823-A57B-4CC4-B8B3-A0702C3F98A9.jpeg

DDEEFE45-960C-4059-8E7E-EB3A87775E9A.jpeg

FCCB5824-36E4-460B-9AAF-18E2D06386C0.jpeg

7987CA23-5A01-4679-937E-9496A3E0245B.jpeg

16FA824B-0AB7-455B-B40F-52764D70B26A.jpeg

A few other tips to maximize storage in the Wrangler:
Hope this helps give you one or two ideas!
Awesome setup!! The trap door to the lower bin is trick.

Since I started this thread, i‘ve switched to the full hardtop with the Rhino Rack ano iKamper as well. That frees up a lot of space in the cab.

How did you end up mounting the iKamper to the platform? Just drilled through it?

My second one is coming next week. First one the shipping guys decided to run a forklift through the bottom of it.
Sponsored

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
You’ll love the iKamper. Great build quality, and rugged (although not immune to rogue forklifts!).

As for mounting, the iKamper works really well with the Pioneer Platform if that’s what you have. The two mounting rails line up perfectly with a couple of the gaps between the slats that run front to back on the platform. This allows your mounting bolts to hang down and drop right between the slats. Then you just slide the mount forward/back until the two bolts are right above one of the cross bars that sit underneath the slats, and you tighten the bolts to that cross bar that runs right to left. No drilling of the platform needed.

I used the Maximus-3 system which mounts the Pioneer platform to the roll bars. But most folks these days are using the Rhino Rack Backbone system. For the Maximus mounts, I did need to alter where one of those cross bars mounts - so it didn’t interfere with the Maximus mounting plates. But that is minor, and Maximus explains it in detail in their instructions. Not sure if the Backbone system requires a similar customization.

Have fun with it!

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
We’ve been using the Vector GGB shelf and love it. My wife and I have been glamping in the Jeep for a few years now. No kids or dog, so we certainly have less to pack. This is also my daily driver, so everything you see in the first pic can be stored like that with the rear seats in normal upright position. And we chose to go with the Rhino Rack and iKamper RTT, which means we don’t need to store a tent, sleeping bags, pillows, inside the Jeep.

Here are a few pics - might give you some internal storage ideas...

2EEB286D-8033-49EC-B75A-8FCA368AB47D.jpeg

D8A8A823-A57B-4CC4-B8B3-A0702C3F98A9.jpeg

DDEEFE45-960C-4059-8E7E-EB3A87775E9A.jpeg

FCCB5824-36E4-460B-9AAF-18E2D06386C0.jpeg

7987CA23-5A01-4679-937E-9496A3E0245B.jpeg

16FA824B-0AB7-455B-B40F-52764D70B26A.jpeg

A few other tips to maximize storage in the Wrangler:
Hope this helps give you one or two ideas!
Your setup is the inspiration for mine. I've seen your old post about the marine hatch and the DFG slide. I recently installed the Vector Highland shelf and bought an ICECO fridge and will be ordering the slide soon. I have two 2gal. Rotopax for water mounted to the underside of the Vector shelf.

I have a few SIDIO crates stacked next to the right of the fridge for now but I'm on the hunt for something that seals more to keep dust out. Pretty nice crates though. https://sidiocrate.com/

I'm going to try installing a roof rack over my Sky One Touch top to carry lightweight but semi bulky items like camp chairs, tables, etc. so I don't stress the gutters on the top too much. I'll be installing a rack from Surco using their 8" rain gutter adapters and their Urban Rack. http://www.surcoinc.com/index.html And here's an old thread showing some pics from SEMA. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/surco-products-jlu-wrangler-build-sema-2019.40955/

Last but not least I plan on going with an after market bumper and tire carrier with the ability to install a trail rack above the spare. I know LOD and Rockhard4x4 make them but I prefer the bumper from ExpeditionOne so I might end up making or adapting my own trail rack if I go with the Expedition bumper.

Even though it's just the wife and I, we also have a dog that takes up a lot of room in the back seat! The dog gets the 60% portion of the rear seat. Maybe I should make the wife sit in the 40% and let the dog sit shotgun to free up space!

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
@Sydwaiz, Glad I could be your inspiration. To my wife, I’m just an exasperation! Although, she does like the Jeep for camping.

I tried a couple of Rotopax water containers under the Vector shelf, but they rattled endlessly, even when I had the mount cranked down. Was I doing something wrong?

Those SIDIO crates look great. I’m definitely getting 2 or 3 of those. Now we’ve come full circle, and you’ve become MY inspiration. :like:

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Alrighty, here's the question - do you think it's feasible to go overlanding/camping for 3 days in a JLUR with my wife and dog, without requiring a seat delete or exterior cargo rack?

Why, you might ask - well, I have the Sky OneTouch Top (which I like for the convenience and open-air feel), so a rhino rack backbone is out of the question as it's not made for it. I also don't particularly like the look of the Gobi exoskeleton racks when I'm not loaded up.

I can't do the Goose Gear seat delete because I use the rear seats in my JL regularly when not camping. Seats will likely be up when camping as the dog needs a place to sit

I am trying to pack as "space efficiently" as possible so have a ton of packaging gear on order - AAL setup with fridge slider, drawers, cargo shelf and underfloor compressor storage. I can't really test the fitment until everything comes in, which could be a while. That's why I'm looking for advice here.

Will I be able to fit everything needed? Am I just screwed and will end up either switching to a regular hard top or an exo rack?

Tent is a Gazelle T3X, for reference.
This is camping, not overlanding. I went camping with my wife for 5 nights many time in a 2 door JL. REI 4 person tent, REI kingdom queen air mattress, propane gas, etc... no roof rack. Rear bench delete which is essentially your JLU cargo space.

I get it you wanna set the Jeep with drawers and stuff and well at that point it gets tricky. I would recommend you take it by steps, youre only doing short trips. start with fridge/battery see how it goes, then get a better idea for the drawers, etc... For 3 nights a good cooler will do the job though.

Theres a guy, I forget his name, who drove all the way from alaska to patagonia. Now thats overlanding. And he did it in a tiny 2D old jeep.

With your JLU you have plenty of space to play with, the thing is huge. If I were you I would eventually get an offroad trailer. Way better than a roof rack imo.

We have a 2 door JL. it is me, wife and now kid. Wife and I camped offgrid, backpacked a lot. We know we can keep the JL. I ordered an offroad squaredrop camper with propane gas, roadshower, fan, bunch of stuff. And for power Ill be using jackery and solar panels. We do have a roof rack on both jeep and camper, but itll be used for kayaks and stuff like that. If I can do it with my 2 door, well JLU should be easy af. Just get creative and good luck!.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
@Sydwaiz, Glad I could be your inspiration. To my wife, I’m just an exasperation! Although, she does like the Jeep for camping.

I tried a couple of Rotopax water containers under the Vector shelf, but they rattled endlessly, even when I had the mount cranked down. Was I doing something wrong?

Those SIDIO crates look great. I’m definitely getting 2 or 3 of those. Now we’ve come full circle, and you’ve become MY inspiration. :like:
I hope you like those Sidio crates! Yeah, the Rotopax do rattle a bit when dry. (I haven't filled them yet, this weekend will be the first time) First thing I did was use the biggest fender washers I could find from McMaster-Carr. That helped a tiny bit. Now I'm going to use some silicone foam sticky pads on the underside of the shelf at the four corners of the Rotopax. That should silence it I hope.

kkarnage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392, 2020 JLUR, 2015 JKR
Occupation
Retired
I think the Gobi rack might be in my future either way, unfortunately. The wind deflector should help some, plus the weight rating would allow me to carry everything I want for a week out on the trail. I just don't like the noise or the look, really.
Heads up from the owner of a Sky One Touch roof + Gobi rack: that wind deflector actually makes things worse, noise-wise, especially when you put stuff on the rack behind it. The problem is that it creates an unstable vortex behind the deflector, which causes the canvas to flap up and down a lot harder than it would with regular airflow over it.

Putting anything up along the roof line, like a light bar or roof rack, is *going* to cause additional wind noise, even if you have a hard top. When you have canvas up above your head, instead of more rigid glass fibre, it not only lets through more noise, it also adds to the noise with it's own flapping and vibrating.

One solution is to insert a rubber strip, about 1/8", in-between the metal struts and the canvas, at least in the first two struts. This seems to tighten the canvas just enough to dampen most of the oscillation. It has worked really well for me so far.

What I have waiting for install this coming weekend though promises to be a better solution:https://hotheadheadliners.com/products/sky-one-touch-headliner?variant=39284096532546
If this does what it says on the box, and by all accounts the reviews on the forum seem to suggest it does, this this not only gives me much better sound insulation and vibration damping, but also adds a layer of thermal insulation. Full summer sun on that black canvas makes it pretty darn warm inside.

With all the above said and done, I quite like the convenience of being able to open up the roof at the push of a button.

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
@kkarnage, I have that headliner installed. I wouldn't say much better on the sound insulation but it does help a little. It really helps with the thermal insulation however and is worth the price alone just for that. And it looks better than seeing the crossbars up there!

VinDiesel21

First Name
Korey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Your setup is the inspiration for mine. I've seen your old post about the marine hatch and the DFG slide. I recently installed the Vector Highland shelf and bought an ICECO fridge and will be ordering the slide soon. I have two 2gal. Rotopax for water mounted to the underside of the Vector shelf.

I have a few SIDIO crates stacked next to the right of the fridge for now but I'm on the hunt for something that seals more to keep dust out. Pretty nice crates though. https://sidiocrate.com/

I'm going to try installing a roof rack over my Sky One Touch top to carry lightweight but semi bulky items like camp chairs, tables, etc. so I don't stress the gutters on the top too much. I'll be installing a rack from Surco using their 8" rain gutter adapters and their Urban Rack. http://www.surcoinc.com/index.html And here's an old thread showing some pics from SEMA. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/surco-products-jlu-wrangler-build-sema-2019.40955/

Last but not least I plan on going with an after market bumper and tire carrier with the ability to install a trail rack above the spare. I know LOD and Rockhard4x4 make them but I prefer the bumper from ExpeditionOne so I might end up making or adapting my own trail rack if I go with the Expedition bumper.

Even though it's just the wife and I, we also have a dog that takes up a lot of room in the back seat! The dog gets the 60% portion of the rear seat. Maybe I should make the wife sit in the 40% and let the dog sit shotgun to free up space!

Where did you get that hatch? I want to be able to use the rear storage if I put a refrigerator in

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5

Sponsored

rubiland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Unlimited 392
Bringing this back to life. This is my 4th overland build. This time I’m trying to go as simple and efficient as possible. At the moment my camping trips are solo. I’ve added a shelf to the back of the Jeep which is super helpful for storage. I’ve got a 45L fridge mounted in the back on the right. At the moment, I store all my gear on the passenger side of the Jeep and sleep on the drivers side in the back.

Trying so hard not to get a rack, but I think it may be inevitable. Hope not though.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Bringing this back to life. This is my 4th overland build. This time I’m trying to go as simple and efficient as possible. At the moment my camping trips are solo. I’ve added a shelf to the back of the Jeep which is super helpful for storage. I’ve got a 45L fridge mounted in the back on the right. At the moment, I store all my gear on the passenger side of the Jeep and sleep on the drivers side in the back.

Trying so hard not to get a rack, but I think it may be inevitable. Hope not though.
Maybe the Ursa Minor would help.

nismo1013

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL 392 AEV370
I used the Maximus-3 system which mounts the Pioneer platform to the roll bars. But most folks these days are using the Rhino Rack Backbone system.
Why is this? The Maximus-3 seems like a superior system to the Rhino Rack, but I don’t hear many people talking about it?

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Why is this? The Maximus-3 seems like a superior system to the Rhino Rack, but I don’t hear many people talking about it?
@nismo1013, great question. On my 2018 JLU I used the Maximus-3 system, and on my 2021 JLUR 4xe, I use the backbone system. In both cases I was using a Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform. Here are my observations:
  1. Maximus 3 was stronger (I think it was rated for 900 pound static weight capacity). In both front and rear, the weight transfers through the roof directly onto the roll bars.
  2. Maximus 3 was low profile, and made in INCREDIBLY difficult to get my Roof Top Tent on/off.
  3. If you knew you would never remove your rack or RTT, Maximus 3 would be the way to go.
  4. Backbone uses a skeletal steel structure around the fixed, side, rear windows to transfer weight from roof to body. Not quite as strong as Maximus 3, but sufficient for most use cases.
  5. Removal of RTT is MUCH easier, as the rack itself is removed with 6 bolts (Or 6 keyed latches - in the case of the quick release version). Those 6 attachment points are easily accessible from the side of the vehicle.
  6. If you knew you would be taking off your rack or RTT occasionally, or if you desired to take the roof off occasionally and go topless, or switch to soft top, then Backbone is the way to go.
If you’re leaning toward the Maximus 3, definitely search this forum for the term “Maximus” and limit your search to posts by my user name. I’ve written about my troubles with that mount system extensively. It might prove helpful to read some of those before you buy the Maximus 3 mount system.

Hope this helps!
Sponsored