Sponsored

Overlanding with a 2 door soft top

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 Door
I see most overlanding options and rooftop tents are specific for 4 doors and hard tops. Unfortunately I have neither. What are some good options for overlanding in a 2 door soft top? I'd like to get some camping in before it gets too chilly in Virginia.

Thanks!
Sponsored

LOBBS

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Quality Manager in Automotive Aftermarket
You can get an exoskeleton type rack that doesn't anchor to the top but rather the bed and/or bumpers. Some of the smaller RTTs would fit fine on a 2dr.

Sponsored

yokramer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLR, '13 Juke Nismo, '88 10th Anny RX7
Before we found out my Wife couldnt handle the height and movement for a RTT we planned on the Gobi rack, it tilts back so you can still lower the top as well.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
Rooftop tents are trendy, but folks have been car camping and using ground tents for many decades before the term "overlanding" was ever invented.

Space is at a premium in the two-door, so you should be bringing a "backpacking" mindest i.e. "Do I really need that?"

I'm not going to make a complete camping equipment list, but there are a couple bulky basics on beyond the backpacking minimum that you'll probably want for comfort:

Cooler
Spacious ground tent - think "four person"
Thick sleeping pads or compact cots (but remember even cots require an insulating pad)
Some type of potty, so you don't have to squat
Camp chairs
Some type of table, for cooking/cleanup - a tailgate table can serve here.
Some type of bulky dishwashing tubs

If you're resourceful, all this stuff will fit in the back of a two-door, though it's easier if you remove the rear seat.

LOBBS

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Quality Manager in Automotive Aftermarket
Rooftop tents are trendy, but folks have been car camping and using ground tents for many decades before the term "overlanding" was ever invented.

Space is at a premium in the two-door, so you should be bringing a "backpacking" mindest i.e. "Do I really need that?"

I'm not going to make a complete camping equipment list, but there are a couple bulky basics on beyond the backpacking minimum that you'll probably want for comfort:

Cooler
Spacious ground tent - think "four person"
Thick sleeping pads or compact cots (but remember even cots require an insulating pad)
Some type of potty, so you don't have to squat
Camp chairs
Some type of table, for cooking/cleanup - a tailgate table can serve here.
Some type of bulky dishwashing tubs

If you're resourceful, all this stuff will fit in the back of a two-door, though it's easier if you remove the rear seat.
That's basically my set up as well. I do bring a queen size air mattress that has "built in" sheets and a comforter instead of pads or cots. I knew on this particular trip that I'd be in state parks so I didn't bring my compact folding table. It's got a roughly 20" by 30" top. A propane camp stove also comes in handy if you'll be traveling thru areas that implement burn bans. But fully loaded up with the back seat tumbled my gear was barely above the tub line. I could have added another half again or so of what I brought before being uncomfortably overpacked.

Jeep Wrangler JL Overlanding with a 2 door soft top PXL_20221018_235046207

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I see most overlanding options and rooftop tents are specific for 4 doors and hard tops. Unfortunately I have neither. What are some good options for overlanding in a 2 door soft top? I'd like to get some camping in before it gets too chilly in Virginia.

Thanks!
Most roof top tents mount to a rack or cross bars. That's not specific to two or four-door Jeeps, nor is it specific to hard top versus soft top. What you're probably seeing is fewer people opt for a four-door, soft top. People that buy a JLU usually get a hard-top.

You would need a rack that mounts external to the top, something like a GOBI rack that mounts to the body. Then you can mount whatever you want to it. You can't install a rack "through" the soft top (without ruining it), so you don't see as many set up with racks; whereas you can mount a rack onto or through the hard top.

So, get a GOBI rack or the like, and whatever RTT you want, if that's the way you want to go.

The other part of your question is about good options for overlanding in a two door, and that's easy, and answered by others. Get a nice tent, a good pad, two-burner camp stove and have fun. You might want an internal rack/shelf for more organized storage over the floor, but it also means that you have a permanently mounted rack that may get in the way of taller things on the floor (refrigerator). With the rear seat removed, there is plenty of room for all of the things you'd need for two people.

Lastly, post pics.

Sponsored

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 SRT Challenger. 18 4Runner off-road premium.
Ground tent is the way to go. If you really need the roof top, maybe build a small trailer to mount it on and pull around. Iā€™ve got a 6person tent for family camping. I use a queen sized inflatable mattress for comfort, that I supplement with two thermarest closed cell foam pads that I lay on top of the mattress for warmth.(placing the foam under the air mattress does nothing) In my opinion the rooftop tent people should really just dump that investment into an RV to pull the Jeep.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
A tent on the ground...:)
This-never understood the roof top tent thing. You have to climb upon top of the vehicle to go to bed, add a non design load and raise the coffee the vehicle. No doubt it also increases drag, decreasing mpgā€™s. Why not just set a tent on the ground? Save a bunch of $$. Nifty everything wonā€™t fit in the Jeep a nice, light ā€œoff roadā€ trailer will carry a lot more than your roof will. RTT would also be an issue if you need to answer natures callin the wee hoursšŸ˜³

Jtaugner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLURD / 03 Cobra
Build Thread
Link
This-never understood the roof top tent thing. You have to climb upon top of the vehicle to go to bed, add a non design load and raise the coffee the vehicle. No doubt it also increases drag, decreasing mpgā€™s. Why not just set a tent on the ground? Save a bunch of $$. Nifty everything wonā€™t fit in the Jeep a nice, light ā€œoff roadā€ trailer will carry a lot more than your roof will. RTT would also be an issue if you need to answer natures callin the wee hoursšŸ˜³

Even a basic "off road" trailer like the SmittyBilt Scout is $9,000.. Most nicer ones are $15,000+..

RTT are convenient, easy to set up and maintain, and gets you off the ground when you're camping in snow / rain. Some people would rather pay extra for convenience.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Even a basic "off road" trailer like the SmittyBilt Scout is $9,000.. Most nicer ones are $15,000+..

RTT are convenient, easy to set up and maintain, and gets you off the ground when you're camping in snow / rain. Some people would rather pay extra for convenience.
Understood. On the trailer issue I was just referring to a ā€œtransportā€ type trailer vs ne of the little teardrops or similar. Iā€™m not knocking anyones choice-Iā€™ve spent many a night in a basic tent in all kinds of weather. Itā€™s whatever makes ya happyšŸ‘

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I looked at trailers, and to others' point, they are incredibly expensive (even the transport), cause the same mileage issues, make it more difficult to navigate harder (tight) trails, add maintenance expense, etc. A roof top tent is a great idea for those that don't want to sleep on the ground, but they come with other issues. For me, I've been happy to sleep on the ground.
Sponsored