Sponsored

overlanding weight issue with Jeep

Lohkay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
You definitely need to take weight into account doing an overlanding rig. I actually have everything added/subtracted in an excel sheet to keep track of my allocation. A 2 door would make this really hard and I'm happy I went with a 4 door. I removed the back seats to save on weight and increase room. Also make sure to mount heavy items as low as possible. For example, I have my house battery, charger and water tanks at the rear footwells. I highly recommend air bags in the rear as well to level out your rig since most of your added weight will be there.
Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Just thought I would mention that if you load your vehicle over the posted limit on the plaque and have an accident, there is a high chance that your insurance company will try to get out of paying.
It is likely they will win too. Check your insurance fine print to see if there is something in there.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
And axle bearings, those have a load bearing rating. Basically it comes down to reliability. More weight = less reliability and prone to more breakage when doing more technical off roading and road miles long term. My humble opinion is reliability should be the top priority for your rig. If you canā€™t resist the gizmosā€™ added weight, disperse it to a towed trailer and itā€™s axle. That does present issues in itself as far as mobility but one should be able to plan around limitations.

Jef

First Name
Jef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL
Iā€™m too a sucker for gadgets especially electronic and cooking. Itā€™s just last few years everyone is overloading their vehicles, keep it simple.

I can go super light but also built a expo/camping trailer for the cool factor of glamping. The one thing Iā€™ve gravitated to is setting up camp then exploring in a empty Jeep.

No matter how ya go atleast you are getting out!

6AD30B8D-855B-40A7-A757-4978BE118466.jpeg
Would you mind giving a little more info about your trailer? This is not what I expected when adding a trailer was mentioned.

Foster_WV

First Name
Foster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ & JLU
Would you mind giving a little more info about your trailer? This is not what I expected when adding a trailer was mentioned.
Yeah no problem, itā€™s 4ā€™x6ā€™ trailer, 35s w 3,500 lb axle. Has RTT, awning, running water, power, etc

We used the #campncrawltrailer on IG feel free any questions if u see something

15319991-C545-400F-860B-212CF71C3222.jpeg
86035D4F-396A-4C95-A4C3-638A0062D918.jpeg
73277C08-56F5-4D46-9E65-B199A98EFED8.jpeg

Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have a two door soft top. The maximum cargo weight listed on the sticker on the door, including passengers, is only 700 lbs. Wondering how important this weight limitation is? Is if for the tires or driveline or axels or all the above? For those of you that are using your Jeeps for overland adventures how are you dealing with this weight issues? After I add up 2 passengers, my Gobi rack, winch, under body armor, fridge, water, etc... Iā€™m over weight limit. Thanks
Common knowledge manufactures always post load rating capabilities low to be safe. Youā€™ll be fine, load her up to the bump stops.
over loaded overlanding.jpg

just take it slow in the bumps haha.

Last edited:

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
Overlanding Has Become Overloading

90s Bolt On Honda Guys have grown up to be Overlanders

#keepcampingsimple

LoL seriously tho we all overpack and get sucked in by the gadgets
I just recently bought my Jeep and will probably be doing some overlanding, but I've been into backpacking for years. Everything I need for 5 days out in the backcountry fits in a pack strapped to my back (less than 40 pounds). Who needs all that fancy stuff to go out and have fun in the backcountry? ;)

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I just recently bought my Jeep and will probably be doing some overlanding, but I've been into backpacking for years. Everything I need for 5 days out in the backcountry fits in a pack strapped to my back (less than 40 pounds). Who needs all that fancy stuff to go out and have fun in the backcountry? ;)
I couldn't agree more! Everything about the performance of your Jeep, from traction to power to fuel economy to breakage to wear and tear is accelerated as weight goes up. I'm keeping mine as close to its svelte prize-fighter factory fresh weight as I possibly can!

Lohkay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
We don't all overland the same, I'm building my rig to ride most of the day and setup camp for single nights. So in my scenario, my unpack/pack time needs to be fast and efficient. A lot of thought must be put into it as weight increases fast and I'm against the idea of running over payload capacity. Also keeping the center of gravity low is something to keep in mind.

69 ORIGINAL

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 3.6L & 2020 JLUS 2.0L
Occupation
Finance
I'm struggling with weight in multiple ways. Btween my fat arse and all the gear and fluids, I'm running 750+ in the rear and 400+ on the front axle (approximate split). None of the standard 'kits' out there come with spring rates that will work. Also, depending on the day, I might be stripped out for rock crawling, without the whole camp kitchen, extra gas and fluids, spare tire, doors, etc. So, the weight in the vehicle can change a lot. Maybe consider getting rid of springs all together and going with an adjustible air suspension? Allows you to go really low for on highway, jack it up offroad or even further for crawling, and even just raise one side in an off camber situation. Anyone out there running an air system?

Sponsored

Lohkay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm struggling with weight in multiple ways. Btween my fat arse and all the gear and fluids, I'm running 750+ in the rear and 400+ on the front axle (approximate split). None of the standard 'kits' out there come with spring rates that will work. Also, depending on the day, I might be stripped out for rock crawling, without the whole camp kitchen, extra gas and fluids, spare tire, doors, etc. So, the weight in the vehicle can change a lot. Maybe consider getting rid of springs all together and going with an adjustible air suspension? Allows you to go really low for on highway, jack it up offroad or even further for crawling, and even just raise one side in an off camber situation. Anyone out there running an air system?
I run air lift bags in the rear coils for when I'm loaded. Works great sor far.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
All about keeping things light in my 2-door Sport with soft top. Pulled the rear seats out within 5 minutes after getting my new baby home, and will probably never reinstall them either! I got the factory trailer tow/HD electrical group, and have been told that the rear suspension is a bit beefier with that option. However, I can't find this documented anywhere, and as always, the dealership doesn't even know what I'm talking about. Anyone know where we can find a comprehensive list of all the specific components?

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Lots of people talking crap here. Ive looked into this myself already.

1) A 2 door jeep IS rated for towing. 2,000lbs is the max rating in the U.S. They tow fine is what ive learned.
2) If you do your own calculations you will realize the actual payload to be around 1,000lbs. The 700lbs limiting factor is because of your tires. In my experience you will be fine under 1,000lbs. Close to 1,000 and you will feel it. The 700lbs is an absolute joke but it is what it is.
3) Everyone "overlanding" whatever suspension they might have, are over payload capacity.

Weight matters. Try to keep it light and dont stress much about it if under 1,000 lbs total. And as others have said, upgrading the suspension helps. But theres also the tires and brakes.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
All about keeping things light in my 2-door Sport with soft top. Pulled the rear seats out within 5 minutes after getting my new baby home, and will probably never reinstall them either! I got the factory trailer tow/HD electrical group, and have been told that the rear suspension is a bit beefier with that option. However, I can't find this documented anywhere, and as always, the dealership doesn't even know what I'm talking about. Anyone know where we can find a comprehensive list of all the specific components?
It is. look at the spring numbers. I bought a rubicon towing suspension and it made the rear of my jeep WAY beefier. I can carry more weight for sure. The spring numbers for the rear are 5 units up from my original sport suspension, while the front are 4 units higher.
Sponsored