Overlanding Trip Prep

paulsoncall

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Next month I'll be embarking on a 7 month, ~15,000 mile journey across the US and Canada. I have a 2020 JLU Sahara with manual transmission and will be towing a 2000lb Hiker Trailer ("square-drop camper). It just hit 13,000 miles. I realize that during my journey I'll have to perform routine maintenance several times, and for that I'll try to find Jeep dealerships along the way for my free oil changes and tire rotations. Besides changing my oil and rotating my tires is there any other maintenance I should get done before I set out?
Sponsored

gcamo0012

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler MOAB Sting Gray
I'm extremely jealous, I want to do the exact same thing, cross country from NJ, then up through alaska, back through canada.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you determine a budget? Also have you planned specific places to stop and go back country, or are you taking it day by day with regards to where you camp out?

OP
OP

paulsoncall

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
I'm extremely jealous, I want to do the exact same thing, cross country from NJ, then up through alaska, back through canada.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you determine a budget? Also have you planned specific places to stop and go back country, or are you taking it day by day with regards to where you camp out?
So to be honest, I haven't really determined a budget. I've been fortunate enough to leave a job of 15 years on very good terms and I'm still receiving severance. This will be my bucket list trip before I head back to the real world and start working again.

In terms of itinerary, it's very loose at this point, but I have general route in mind. I plan on fly fishing along most of the route, which is also what helped me determine the areas I want to hit. I live in CT and from there I'm heading straight to the Florida Keys (tarpon, permit, bones), where I'll spend a month at an established campground. From there I'll probably hit Dauphin Island for some redfish and then start heading west and north slowly. As of this moment here's what I'm thinking:

White Sands, NM
Zion
Canyonlands
Arches
Grand Teton
Yellowstone
Glacier
Banff and Jasper in Canada

From there I plan on heading into BC and making my way to the Dempster Highway, which I will take through the Yukon and Northwest Territories all the way to the Arctic Ocean (Tuktoyaktuk).

Will I be able to do this in 7 months? I'm not sure, but I'm sure as hell going to try. I'm going to use iOverlander to find camping spots as much as possible as I'm sure it will be hard to find camp sites at the national parks from May-Sept.

I appreciate any tips regarding camping, this route in particular, or Jeep maintenance for such a long journey that anyone can provide. Once I'm ready to head out I'll post a link to an instagram account where I'll be trying to document this whole thing.

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS

Sponsored

OP
OP

paulsoncall

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Although I have never been through Canada, visited once a long time ago, I had a buddy ride his BMW R1200GSA up there trying to get to Prudo Bay last year. Prepare yourself now, stuff is expensive up there. Think ahead, extra fuel, and water, food etc. Nothing new here, there is a wealth of info out there, loads of people have done this trip before.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/07/27/2018-jeep-wrangler-rubicon-alaska-cannonball-overland/
https://www.alaska.org/guide/dalton-highway
Thanks for those links! I just installed some mounts for Rotopax fuel containers and plan on taking along 2 - 3 gallon ones along with me. I was just in Canada. You're not kidding about stuff being expensive, especially fuel. I thought California was bad.

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What Hiker do you have?

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5x8 midrange. You have one?
Considering the Extreme Off Road 5x9, but I have a 5x10 "Off Road" Cargo trailer. Its insulated etc, just bare bones at the moment.

Trailer.jpg

OP
OP

paulsoncall

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Considering the Extreme Off Road 5x9, but I have a 5x10 "Off Road" Cargo trailer. Its insulated etc, just bare bones at the moment.

Trailer.jpg
Nice! I like that. I kinda wish I got the off-road extreme one, but so far I've been very happy with mine. I haven't taken it on any long trips yet, just places in the Northeast. We'll see how it holds up on this long journey. Just got brakes installed on it today. I'll feel better driving through those high-elevation mountain passes out west.

Golfshrink

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, ā€˜07 Toyota FJ Cruiser & 1968 IH Scout 800
Vehicle Showcase
7A42B3A4-326D-4A59-A5C5-4D48DBED6BB7.jpeg
What Hiker do you have?
I know your question was for the OP, but hereā€™s our Hiker mid-range 5x8. Weā€™ve previously been towing with a FJ Cruiser but got the Wrangler about a month ago and plan to tow with it. Hikers are great little trailers. Weā€™ve loved ours.

As for the OPā€™s question, Iā€™m useless. Weā€™ve been on numerous outings pulling the Hiker with the FJ over the last year, but never longer than a week. The idea of that type of epic adventure is equal parts exiting and daunting.

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
7A42B3A4-326D-4A59-A5C5-4D48DBED6BB7.jpeg

I know your question was for the OP, but hereā€™s our Hiker mid-range 5x8. Weā€™ve previously been towing with a FJ Cruiser but got the Wrangler about a month ago and plan to tow with it. Hikers are great little trailers. Weā€™ve loved ours.

As for the OPā€™s question, Iā€™m useless. Weā€™ve been on numerous outings pulling the Hiker with the FJ over the last year, but never longer than a week. The idea of that type of epic adventure is equal parts exiting and daunting.
I actually really enjoy the planning and research for stuff. I like to know as much information as possible, I really don't like to be surprised by stuff that I can control. How does it tow with a two door?
Sponsored