Sponsored

Overlanding | Trade JT For 2 Door--Am I Crazy?

longlivethemanual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 3.6L 6MT
Sick setup. I think you managed to use all the deadspace in the JL lol. I feel lame now for getting a trailer.
Now you can do both! I still think about a trailer and might just build one to carry gear and the RTT someday. The RTT on the Thule bars is a bit sketch, but it was intended to be temporary until Rhino released a JL backbone. I certainly have given it a full validation test. Once they came with JLU setup, I'm hearing they are back in development for JL. I really like being self-contained and optimizing every cubic inch. On the flip side, a trailer that can be left for base camp would leave a naked Jeep for the trails. I love the maneuverability of the JL and a JLU is overkill for me. I'm fortunate it's not my daily driver, which I know can push some people into four doors.
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Now you can do both! I still think about a trailer and might just build one to carry gear and the RTT someday. The RTT on the Thule bars is a bit sketch, but it was intended to be temporary until Rhino released a JL backbone. I certainly have given it a full validation test. Once they came with JLU setup, I'm hearing they are back in development for JL. I really like being self-contained and optimizing every cubic inch. On the flip side, a trailer that can be left for base camp would leave a naked Jeep for the trails. I love the maneuverability of the JL and a JLU is overkill for me. I'm fortunate it's not my daily driver, which I know can push some people into four doors.
FYI, Maximus-3 has a roll bar supported rhino rack available for the 2dr JL. It's rock solid, 900 lbs static / 300 lbs moving. My only criticism of it is I wouldn't recommend it if you regularly swap between hard/soft/no top. Although it only requires removing 8 additional bolts to remove the hard top (the rack remains secured to the hard top), the 4 front bolts over the sound bar are extremely tight to get to and not fun to deal with.

I'm leaning towards a small off road trailer myself as it resolves my #1 issue with RTTs, the difficulty of claiming a campsite while you go on unencumbered excursions. In some places that's a big issue. I'm coming from a backpacking mentality so the 2dr w/o back seat is already a lot of room to me and the tiniest trailer with an RTT would be luxurious.

longlivethemanual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 3.6L 6MT
FYI, Maximus-3 has a roll bar supported rhino rack available for the 2dr JL. It's rock solid, 900 lbs static / 300 lbs moving. My only criticism of it is I wouldn't recommend it if you regularly swap between hard/soft/no top. Although it only requires removing 8 additional bolts to remove the hard top (the rack remains secured to the hard top), the 4 front bolts over the sound bar are extremely tight to get to and not fun to deal with.

I'm leaning towards a small off road trailer myself as it resolves my #1 issue with RTTs, the difficulty of claiming a campsite while you go on unencumbered excursions. In some places that's a big issue. I'm coming from a backpacking mentality so the 2dr w/o back seat is already a lot of room to me and the tiniest trailer with an RTT would be luxurious.
Thanks for the Maximus-3 tip. It's my plan B as I agree, the extra time with fasteners is the downside. I built hoists for tent and top and committed to having them both off more frequently. If Rhino drags its feet much longer with a JL Backbone then Maximus-3 might be the solution.

I do like my self contained setup with RTT for the fact that I tend to wander and make my own sites, without staying in one place consecutive nights. A trailer would definitely say "this site is taken" more than an old camping stool for sure.

MNML_OVRLND

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S
We have done overlanding trips all over the country in our 2 door JL. Sport. We traded down from a 4 door and really found it made us just take what we need vs all of the creature comforts. 100% doable, but we also do a lot of kayak camping / bike packing etc, so we are use to a more minimal setup. Longest trip we have done is 19 days (10k miles) going from NY to CA and back along the US Mexico border. Planning another big trip this June out to Ouray to run the mountain passes.

Do you and whatever feels right, I think it’s pretty awesome that you could just port over most of your gear / mods and be good to go. Can’t go wrong either way. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t miss the 4 doors sometimes and easy access through the back seat doors though!

19ED9ED8-A05D-48D1-AEFC-60979D48EC4C.jpeg

52E5EC53-F292-43F4-AC47-1F615FC8BBDF.jpeg

FC8807DC-53F3-4C6E-9840-930AA116606F.jpeg

AA2909BD-2B6B-4DCB-A757-01E61DCDFF8F.jpeg

83D5FE40-FC1F-4C6E-8D03-DC3CF2A99AB8.jpeg

E9A832AD-225E-403E-85B7-FC89D1306845.jpeg

WSTruck

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
I think you should do it! If you’re willing to pack light and you’re only going by yourself or with one other person I think you could easily make it work. In the overlanding space people often way overpack and overbuild their vehicle - it’s important to be safe and prepared but 99% of what I see is overkill. A mildly built 2 Door Rubicon with the back seat out and only the essentials will feel like a revelation and be an absolute joy to drive. My girlfriend and I have way scaled down what we pack in my 4Runner and I’ve removed quite a bit of weight as well, just that has felt like a huge relief and made trips more fun and easy.

Sponsored

ModMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Willy’s
Many people are trading in their JLTs for different reasons. Brad at trail recon said it was too big and kept him out of trails. He also said everything was always dirty and he camps a lot.

i would get the 4 door. We have the 2 door and over landing gear is next to unavailable. Backbone rack? Not really. Maximus has one but stupid expensive.

The list goes on and on. It’s my sons (his Jeep) biggest regret. Most aftermarket storage gear just doesn’t fit. Now he needs to take out the rear seat to get the fridge in.

If you’re a camper, get the 4 door.

sheram

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON
Occupation
Retired
So, I'm tossing around the idea of trading my built out Gladiator for a JL--likely a 2 door, and I'm looking for input. I like the 4 doors as well, but I've always loved the 2 doors and how maneuverable and capable they are. My primary recreational use for the vehicle is camping, exploring, and overlanding, but it is my daily driver as well so I appreciate drivability and economy.

I almost feel like I *overbuilt* with my JT. I absolutely love it, but to be honest, it almost seems like too much for my purposes. I adventure almost exclusively solo. I wouldn't mind downsizing and being a bit more selective with what gear I take out with me, while getting a package that is even more capable (on trails) and economical than my JT. What got me thinking about this is the very high sale/trade offers that I have gotten--I'm being offered more for it than what I paid for it brand new off of the lot. I have a large amount of equity in the JT, and my losses on aftermarket parts would be negligible since I can carry over many of the add-ons to the JL platform (seat covers, command center, wheels and tires, Tazer, all LED lights, dual battery kit, compressor, solar setup, rooftop tent, fridge, etc, etc).

I'm aware that I'm posting this on a JL forum, but if you were in my shoes, taking the above in to consideration, what would you do? Pros and cons? I'm just looking for some other perspectives. Thanks!

Jeep Wrangler JL Overlanding | Trade JT For 2 Door--Am I Crazy? E9A832AD-225E-403E-85B7-FC89D1306845
So, I'm tossing around the idea of trading my built out Gladiator for a JL--likely a 2 door, and I'm looking for input. I like the 4 doors as well, but I've always loved the 2 doors and how maneuverable and capable they are. My primary recreational use for the vehicle is camping, exploring, and overlanding, but it is my daily driver as well so I appreciate drivability and economy.

I almost feel like I *overbuilt* with my JT. I absolutely love it, but to be honest, it almost seems like too much for my purposes. I adventure almost exclusively solo. I wouldn't mind downsizing and being a bit more selective with what gear I take out with me, while getting a package that is even more capable (on trails) and economical than my JT. What got me thinking about this is the very high sale/trade offers that I have gotten--I'm being offered more for it than what I paid for it brand new off of the lot. I have a large amount of equity in the JT, and my losses on aftermarket parts would be negligible since I can carry over many of the add-ons to the JL platform (seat covers, command center, wheels and tires, Tazer, all LED lights, dual battery kit, compressor, solar setup, rooftop tent, fridge, etc, etc).

I'm aware that I'm posting this on a JL forum, but if you were in my shoes, taking the above in to consideration, what would you do? Pros and cons? I'm just looking for some other perspectives. Thanks!

Jeep Wrangler JL Overlanding | Trade JT For 2 Door--Am I Crazy? E9A832AD-225E-403E-85B7-FC89D1306845
Rule # 12…gear will expand to fill the amount of space available. In other words if they made a JL 6 door you could and probably would fill it up with gear. I’m on my 5th 2dr. I’ve been cross country dozens of times. Every trip I take I learn things not to take. If you take what you need and leave the “what if this happens” stuff at home or the store shelf you will have plenty of space and a lot more money.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
I’ll give you my two pfennig/perspective...
I must be a contrarian because I’ve never understood the colossal sales success/appeal of big trucks in the good ole USA.
Big Trucks take up way too much contact patch for my liking.
Big Trucks are generally clumsy & poor handling, with poor braking and other poor performance metrics.
People who utilize/need trucks for their craft - totally understood!
Here is my point, if Jeep offered a two door JT with a small bed (5’), I’d buy one. I like small trucks. They’re cool!
I think the JT is just too damn big/long/cumbersome.
This is my fourth 2 door Wrangler. Love em!
YMMV...

cheers/B
Yeah, sign me up for a 2dr Jeep pickup as well. Would be a great rig!

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I like the look of JTs when they are modified with lifts and 39” tires. I would eventually consider getting one when and if a good tune comes out for the EcoDeisel. It would however be 3rd or 4th vehicle purchase. My goal eventually is to own 8 of my favorite cars/Jeeps.

In the meantime, I will stick with an off road based trailer, which will store everything we need for camping inside of it. During the normal commuting weeks, I’ll have nothing in my Jeep but a stock 392. I’m always looking for just the bare essentials to pack. That’s half the fun.

Dave Batson

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
New to this forum. Caught that you use this Jeep for camping, exploring, etc. retired now with 50 years experience camping. STOP and think! That gear takes a lot of space. Wife and I are minimalists and most of our gear is ”backpacking” stuff. Still those sleeping bags, pads and cooler eat a lot of space. If you can find a place to put them, by all means go with the 2 dr.

Sponsored

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Here's what I did!
I like the freedom of being able to drop the trailer and still explore.

Just me so that's easier, and have plenty of room in the trailer.

Only real limit is my tongue weight, but I have some ideas for that.

20220924_081720.jpg

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I enjoyed reading through this thread. I have a 2dr JLR that I'm trying to build to allow me to solo, or with my wife be able to:

1) Flat tow behind our Class C RV (weight is very limiting)
2) Mild rock crawling 6 maybe 7 rating max.
3) Short overland/camping trips (less than a week)

All about weight, miniaturization and essentials. This build journey is fun but expensive.

JLR_AEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon AEV Outfitted
Here's what I did!
I like the freedom of being able to drop the trailer and still explore.

Just me so that's easier, and have plenty of room in the trailer.

Only real limit is my tongue weight, but I have some ideas for that.

Jeep Wrangler JL Overlanding | Trade JT For 2 Door--Am I Crazy? 20220924_081720
Fixed it for you.
This photo was too sexy not have it formatted correctly although it was worth breaking my neck for :jk: . Well done!

Jeep Wrangler JL Overlanding | Trade JT For 2 Door--Am I Crazy? 20220924_081720

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
That's awesome! Thank you
Sponsored