Sponsored

Overlanding | Trade JT For 2 Door--Am I Crazy?

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
A 2 door, minus the back seat plus a small trailer should be a great combo.
Leave all the gear in the trailer, hitch up when you want to. Smaller, more nimble vehicle for a daily and on the trails when you’ve set up camp.
Sponsored

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
Before the Gladiator was even announced, I loved the idea of a 4 door with an Ursa Minor top. I hope you can get yours soon! If I sold my roof racks and rooftop tent, that would nearly cover the cost of an entry level model. I wouldn't be opposed to a JLU either honestly, but I think that'd put me in a similar boat of having lots of space to fill.
Nice. Yea, just got off the phone with John at Ursa. My top is in the assembly factory now in Sandiego. Given shipping to portland, we're lookin at another 1.5 weeks before pickup. I also got the entry model, no options, and doing my own electrical work to save some off the install. I think for JLU owners it's the more sensical option IF you want to go the RTT route, because you accomplish everything with much less weight and wind drag.

I did a lot of back country exploring/camping/metal detecting using a TJ and it was indeed small. Wife drove one, too, though, so that helped.

Either way, I think you'd be happy. Bottom line is you enjoy your rig.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
As someone else said — whatever puts a smile on your face.

IMO jeep should bring the LJ back.

I love the truck and would miss it.
I loved my four door and miss it.
I love my wife’s two door and would miss it.

the only negative is the size as you suggested but if you have a place to park it and it’s not inconveniencing you — why get rid of it? If you actually use the space for camping the two door gets old fast.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
35s are the max that I'd really ever put on a daily driver. Maybe 37s on a JL or JT with the diesel, since I'd still be getting over 20 mpg. I don't mind dragging the ass end a little bit, but honestly I'm not hitting insanely technical terrain so it's not a huge concern.

I would consider a 4 door JL as well for sure. I think my optimal setup would be a 4-door JL, with an ursa minor top. That is in the running as well, but I wanted to pose the question about the two opposing sides of the spectrum. I think the JLU represents the middle ground, and the most expensive of the choices.

I'm really curious what ursa minor's eventual offering is going to be for the JT. That could end up being a gamechanger.
Agreed on Ursa Minor.
I was getting low 20’s on 40’s — pretty cool.

But yeah if you’re wheeling it hard you may want to bob the bed.

Jaym

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
That's a damn sharp JT! What is your sleep setup? Ground tent?

Agreed on the steering. I got the TSB done and the steering was absolutely night and day.
Thanks. I have a ground tent for the tough to access spots--and I have a Winnebago Hike Trailer for base camp. I am looking at picking up a Roam Vagabond to replace the ground tent.
Jeep Wrangler JL Overlanding | Trade JT For 2 Door--Am I Crazy? DSC00681.JPG

Sponsored

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I got myself a hiker trailer on order. Little teardrop that's perfect for camping on an off-road frame. Plus it has a mattress lol.

2 door should have no issues at all pulling it, and not like I'm going to take the trailer crawling. This way I can leave it as a base camp and go have fun. I'd never put a rtt on a vehicle for that reason, to much packing just to go some where.

I had a 4 door jk, and it honestly felt huge. I had half doors and I was never happy with the pillar breaking up the look, hence the 2 door this time. I think this option is the best of both worlds to me.

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
Couple guys were talking about URSA tops. They're not cheap (though after selling your hard top and factoring that in, the base model is only about 1k more than a proper rhino rack w/installation and an alucab tent of comparable quality). If you want one, though, I'd get your deposit in. I think they're about 6-7 months backlogged right now and that line only gets longer. I put my deposit down last october and as I said, if things go well I'll have my top by May 1.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I’ll give you my two pfennig/perspective...
I must be a contrarian because I’ve never understood the colossal sales success/appeal of big trucks in the good ole USA.
Big Trucks take up way too much contact patch for my liking.
Big Trucks are generally clumsy & poor handling, with poor braking and other poor performance metrics.
People who utilize/need trucks for their craft - totally understood!
Here is my point, if Jeep offered a two door JT with a small bed (5’), I’d buy one. I like small trucks. They’re cool!
I think the JT is just too damn big/long/cumbersome.
This is my fourth 2 door Wrangler. Love em!
YMMV...

cheers/B
This “big truck” generalization is way off base in my experience. Jeeps in general aren’t the best handling, but a windy mountain road at speed in a 2 door is sketchier than a 4 door, the extra wheelbase of the gladiator handles even better. My Ram rebel handles at speed way better than our JLU did stock and it’s on 35” mud tires. Low speed maneuverability the JL kills a full size truck, but handling both on and off road is night and day. On the same desert dirt roads, the Jeep feels unstable at 60-70mph, my truck will cruise along at 105 like it’s on the freeway.

SnazberryPearl

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL 2021, Rubicon Recon JKU 2018
This month I did trade in my 2017 JKU Rubi for a 2021 2 door JL Rubi. Now I loved my JKU, but I did pay to have it lifted and changed tires to 35’s and even added a back up camera and hitch. I loved driving it and riding up higher, but.....as one wrangler forum person had tried to tell me back then, is maybe “don’t raise a Rubi *unless* you have the talent to tweak it yourself or have loads of money to keep it as close to its prowness as you can”. But I couldn’t help it, I paid a professional shop about $5k for the tires and and lift/gate/mileage change, and although they did a great job, it was a cosmetic lift and not the full suspension change. So it lost that Rubi feel; (I painted over my Rembrant). And the larger the gig, the more clumsy the machine for daily driving including parking. So with resale so high currently, rather than to pay to bring it back to original, it made more sense to trade it in for the person that wanted to ride “taller” as I did. I decided to get a 2 door Rubi as my child is no longer the age that she has to be in the back seat. So I really didn’t need that extra door. But if someone does have to slip into the back seat, it is actually pretty comfy! The seat folds up out of the way to make more cargo room when I need it. And it drives LIKE A DREAM!!!!! And it even sits up much higher than the JKU did (added bonus)! She turns and maneuvers like a sports car and is much peppier too. So I am glad I did it. FWIW, it doesn’t tow as much as the 4 door though. Basically my needs changed, and so did my Jeep choice. Good Luck! Whatever you pick, it will be the right choice. :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
This “big truck” generalization is way off base in my experience. Jeeps in general aren’t the best handling, but a windy mountain road at speed in a 2 door is sketchier than a 4 door, the extra wheelbase of the gladiator handles even better. My Ram rebel handles at speed way better than our JLU did stock and it’s on 35” mud tires. Low speed maneuverability the JL kills a full size truck, but handling both on and off road is night and day. On the same desert dirt roads, the Jeep feels unstable at 60-70mph, my truck will cruise along at 105 like it’s on the freeway.
I was actually eyeballing the RAM Rebels too, potentially with the diesel. It's a big chunk of change, but with the equity I have in the JT and a decent down payment the payments would be very manageable.

Decisions...

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I was actually eyeballing the RAM Rebels too, potentially with the diesel. It's a big chunk of change, but with the equity I have in the JT and a decent down payment the payments would be very manageable.

Decisions...
Jeep Wrangler JL Overlanding | Trade JT For 2 Door--Am I Crazy? 0D4D49DA-2CFB-4C2E-9986-EA3A1251273F
Jeep Wrangler JL Overlanding | Trade JT For 2 Door--Am I Crazy? D91EE5FC-380F-4F61-BAD9-61EFE53ED5D8

His and hers, why pick one when you can do both?

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
On my second two-door now and I wouldn't trade it for a JLU or JT by any means. Yes, I have pulled out my back seat and it's great on trips with two people. However, I also have a set up I can take two kiddos camping and therefore need the back seat in place. I built a bed solution that can actually be assembled over the top of the folded rear seat. I can sleep there while the other two are up in the RTT. I may be a bit of a minimalist at heart, but when challenged to make something with less there are more ways than you might first think.
I need to see pictures of this. I am going the squaredrop camper route. But need to see your setup

longlivethemanual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 3.6L 6MT
I need to see pictures of this. I am going the squaredrop camper route. But need to see your setup
Yes, happy to share. Pics are my previous 2-door, but I'm back in another JLR and wouldn't want a JLU for my needs. I included a pic of my solo/2person setup using no back seat. To carry a third person and leave rear seat in place, I built a platform that goes over the folded rear seat at night and extends just over the center armrest (legs are just long enough to carry the load off the armrest). It's 1/2" plywood 36x48" using 1" dowels as legs attached with studs/wingnuts. Trick is to cut the leg lengths to support in conjunction with the plywood laying on the folded rear seat. It stores in the RTT during the day. The front passenger seat needs to be folded all the way forward. So long as you're under 6 ft, it's actually not a bad space to sleep.

Those grocery totes fit perfectly behind the rear set while it's up and under the platform at night. Bins for gear and cooking supplies ride in the 4th position in the back seat. The key to successfully fitting is the use of the TrailRack over the spare. I ditch my fridge and store a cooler and water jug there. A hitch platform would work as well, but I carry bikes.

There are a lot of ways to do more with less. Carefully choose gear you need to take and it's not as much to clean up when you get home! Happy trails!

JL Regular Setup.jpg

JL Platform 1.jpg

JL Platform 2.jpg

JL Platform 3.jpg

JL Tailgater.jpg

JL Trailrack.jpg

JL Trairack 2.jpg

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Yes, happy to share. Pics are my previous 2-door, but I'm back in another JLR and wouldn't want a JLU for my needs. I included a pic of my solo/2person setup using no back seat. To carry a third person and leave rear seat in place, I built a platform that goes over the folded rear seat at night and extends just over the center armrest (legs are just long enough to carry the load off the armrest). It's 1/2" plywood 36x48" using 1" dowels as legs attached with studs/wingnuts. Trick is to cut the leg lengths to support in conjunction with the plywood laying on the folded rear seat. It stores in the RTT during the day. The front passenger seat needs to be folded all the way forward. So long as you're under 6 ft, it's actually not a bad space to sleep.

Those grocery totes fit perfectly behind the rear set while it's up and under the platform at night. Bins for gear and cooking supplies ride in the 4th position in the back seat. The key to successfully fitting is the use of the TrailRack over the spare. I ditch my fridge and store a cooler and water jug there. A hitch platform would work as well, but I carry bikes.

There are a lot of ways to do more with less. Carefully choose gear you need to take and it's not as much to clean up when you get home! Happy trails!

Jeep Wrangler JL Overlanding | Trade JT For 2 Door--Am I Crazy? JL Trairack 2

Sick setup. I think you managed to use all the deadspace in the JL lol. I feel lame now for getting a trailer.
Sponsored