Sponsored

Overlanding | Trade JT For 2 Door--Am I Crazy?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I do miss the maneuverability of my 2-door JK.
Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I use my JLR as a scout vehicle and short duration over night trips. I modified my JLR for hauling compact camping gear ,stuff left over from backpacking and motorcycle camping days gone by. With the back seat removed and DIY shelf, I have plenty of space even witha 37" spare tire on the cargo floor.
Jeep Wrangler JL Overlanding | Trade JT For 2 Door--Am I Crazy? JL spar

It only gets crowded when I want to haul lounge chair, 6 man stand up Coleman tent and cot.
Jeep Wrangler JL Overlanding | Trade JT For 2 Door--Am I Crazy? JL rear cargo

I found a RV type roof rack for $40 and 6 lbs. would haul the tent and other light weight items just fine.
Jeep Wrangler JL Overlanding | Trade JT For 2 Door--Am I Crazy? JL roof rack 1

My small Tiger 4x4 RV is my hub base when traveling longer periods. Flat tows my JLR easily with Cummins diesel and 1 ton chassis.
Jeep Wrangler JL Overlanding | Trade JT For 2 Door--Am I Crazy? bumble bee ranch a

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
You can always just get one of these and throw it in the back of the JT to get your 2D fix when you need it :)

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
I'm used to motorcycle camping as well, so I'm no stranger to packing conservatively.
I haven't read the whole thread yet. But, I do the same. If you are comfortable with what a bagger can carry, a 2 door will be luxury. Personally, I did a 4 door...so I can sleep in it. That, and wheelbase for comfort.

I will now read the rest as work allows.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
I use my JLR as a scout vehicle and short duration over night trips. I modified my JLR for hauling compact camping gear ,stuff left over from backpacking and motorcycle camping days gone by. With the back seat removed and DIY shelf, I have plenty of space even witha 37" spare tire on the cargo floor.
Jeep Wrangler JL Overlanding | Trade JT For 2 Door--Am I Crazy? bumble bee ranch a

It only gets crowded when I want to haul lounge chair, 6 man stand up Coleman tent and cot.

I found a RV type roof rack for $40 and 6 lbs. would haul the tent and other light weight items just fine.

My small Tiger 4x4 RV is my hub base when traveling longer periods. Flat tows my JLR easily with Cummins diesel and 1 ton chassis.
I think it actually looks better without the wheel on the back in this case.

Sponsored

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
I think for overlanding you should stay put.. you can tow a trailer with the JT, for toys or luxury accomodiations.. and the JT is still very capable.. and in overlanding your are not looking fore obstables you just want to be prepared for if you have too.

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 TJ Rubicon, '22 4xe Rubicon
I saw this video recently, where this guy takes his JT to Moab. I just can't justify having to put on 40/42s on my JT in order to not scratch the rear end. If you only plan on doing Overlanding, then obviously there is no need for BIG tires. It really just depends on what you are planning on doing with your Jeep. I think that the 2D is a great size for off-roading, it is capable of tackling most trails with ease; without the need for huge improvement. But I also don't want you to regret purchasing the 2D when you realized that you should've gone with the 4D for the extra cargo space.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I think it actually looks better without the wheel on the back in this case.
Thanks. A couple years ago when trying to decide how to handle a 37" tire and 108 lbs, I tossed it in the back for a 3 day/2 night trip into the desert. With camping supplies piled on top of the spare and a 2 gallon jug of gas, I realized a couple DIY shelves and RotorPak mount on the tailgate was all I needed.

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I saw this video recently, where this guy takes his JT to Moab. I just can't justify having to put on 40/42s on my JT in order to not scratch the rear end. If you only plan on doing Overlanding, then obviously there is no need for BIG tires. It really just depends on what you are planning on doing with your Jeep. I think that the 2D is a great size for off-roading, it is capable of tackling most trails with ease; without the need for huge improvement. But I also don't want you to regret purchasing the 2D when you realized that you should've gone with the 4D for the extra cargo space.

35s are the max that I'd really ever put on a daily driver. Maybe 37s on a JL or JT with the diesel, since I'd still be getting over 20 mpg. I don't mind dragging the ass end a little bit, but honestly I'm not hitting insanely technical terrain so it's not a huge concern.

I would consider a 4 door JL as well for sure. I think my optimal setup would be a 4-door JL, with an ursa minor top. That is in the running as well, but I wanted to pose the question about the two opposing sides of the spectrum. I think the JLU represents the middle ground, and the most expensive of the choices.

I'm really curious what ursa minor's eventual offering is going to be for the JT. That could end up being a gamechanger.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
35s are the max that I'd really ever put on a daily driver. Maybe 37s on a JL or JT with the diesel, since I'd still be getting over 20 mpg. I don't mind dragging the ass end a little bit, but honestly I'm not hitting insanely technical terrain so it's not a huge concern.

I would consider a 4 door JL as well for sure. I think my optimal setup would be a 4-door JL, with an ursa minor top. That is in the running as well, but I wanted to pose the question about the two opposing sides of the spectrum. I think the JLU represents the middle ground, and the most expensive of the choices.

I'm really curious what ursa minor's eventual offering is going to be for the JT. That could end up being a gamechanger.
I wouldn't want to hit really technical terrain in a JL with a RTT. Center of gravity gets raised, makes a rig more prone to roll-overs. The JT's longer wheelbase helps offset that, but I'd still rather go around to get to a spot than go over boulders. 35s have been fine for me. I was definitely hitting the lower control arms when I was on 32s

Sponsored

acsak

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2-door Wrangler JL Rubicon (Manual Transmission)
I've been working on a 2019 2 door JL overlanding build for about a year now. Yes, it's tight, but I actually find that the space constraints force me to choose my build components intelligently.

For example, I spent a long time thinking about the best refrigerator for the build and ended up choosing the Dometic CD-30 because it's a drawer fridge which means I don't need the added space and weight of a fridge slide. It's also shorter than any of the top loading fridges I was looking at which allows me to preserve lots of additional space above it.

So far I've got a Gobi rack on there, a custom lithium battery bank in the cargo tub, the drawer fridge, and a 13 gallon Front Runner water tank mounted behind the seats with a water pump/filtration system which is connected to a hot water heat exchanger in the engine bay which allows me to take a hot shower in a Quick Pitch shower curtain mounted to the side of the Gobi. I'm trying to keep my build as lightweight as possible, and I think that even with the limited space of the 2 door I'm more likely to be go over my weight limits than to run out of space.

Of course the rear seats are out but the build is set up such that I can take that stuff out and put the seats in when I need to.

As far as downgrading to a 2 door JL, that's a tough one. The JT is cool, but I do really enjoy the nimble drive of the 2 door on trails. The short wheelbase is a little jarring during corrugated off road driving or rough on road streets, but that's about the only complaint I have regarding drivability compared to larger Jeeps.

Anyway, I'll say that the 2 door build is very doable and I've found it rewarding to try and make the lightest most efficient build possible.

huyfishin

First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.huyfishin.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Automotive Paint Protection Film Installer and Glass tinter
losing all that space and convenience would blow my mind.

Gobicon

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JLU 2018 Unlimited Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
So, I'm tossing around the idea of trading my built out Gladiator for a JL--likely a 2 door, and I'm looking for input. I like the 4 doors as well, but I've always loved the 2 doors and how maneuverable and capable they are. My primary recreational use for the vehicle is camping, exploring, and overlanding, but it is my daily driver as well so I appreciate drivability and economy.

I almost feel like I *overbuilt* with my JT. I absolutely love it, but to be honest, it almost seems like too much for my purposes. I adventure almost exclusively solo. I wouldn't mind downsizing and being a bit more selective with what gear I take out with me, while getting a package that is even more capable (on trails) and economical than my JT. What got me thinking about this is the very high sale/trade offers that I have gotten--I'm being offered more for it than what I paid for it brand new off of the lot. I have a large amount of equity in the JT, and my losses on aftermarket parts would be negligible since I can carry over many of the add-ons to the JL platform (seat covers, command center, wheels and tires, Tazer, all LED lights, dual battery kit, compressor, solar setup, rooftop tent, fridge, etc, etc).

I'm aware that I'm posting this on a JL forum, but if you were in my shoes, taking the above in to consideration, what would you do? Pros and cons? I'm just looking for some other perspectives. Thanks!

You know what they say- ask 10 people their opinions and get 11 different answers. You're not crazy. Do whatever makes you happy. Just don't trade it in t dealer, they'll fleece you. Sell it on your own so you got most out of it, even if it takes a little longer.

DUNE RAP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL 2DR RUBICON
I own a 2021 2DR RUBICON and absolutely love it! I leave my seat in during my commute to work. But when I do serious wheelin here in AZ. I remove the seat to bring my recovery gear and cooler. It also takes about 70 pounds out of the Jeep. The 2Dr is absolutely amazing on and off-road.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I have no illusions that I'd be giving up a large amount of space, but I'm a firm believer in the old saying that goes something like "the more space you have, that harder you try to fill it." I know that I don't need half of the shit that I take in the JT, and I'd welcome the challenge to pack a bit lighter.
For sure, for sure. But in my experience, the rare occasions when you really do need the extra space can be gut-punchers when you don't have it.
Sponsored