Sponsored

Overlanding | Trade JT For 2 Door--Am I Crazy?

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
So, I'm tossing around the idea of trading my built out Gladiator for a JL--likely a 2 door, and I'm looking for input. I like the 4 doors as well, but I've always loved the 2 doors and how maneuverable and capable they are. My primary recreational use for the vehicle is camping, exploring, and overlanding, but it is my daily driver as well so I appreciate drivability and economy.

I almost feel like I *overbuilt* with my JT. I absolutely love it, but to be honest, it almost seems like too much for my purposes. I adventure almost exclusively solo. I wouldn't mind downsizing and being a bit more selective with what gear I take out with me, while getting a package that is even more capable (on trails) and economical than my JT. What got me thinking about this is the very high sale/trade offers that I have gotten--I'm being offered more for it than what I paid for it brand new off of the lot. I have a large amount of equity in the JT, and my losses on aftermarket parts would be negligible since I can carry over many of the add-ons to the JL platform (seat covers, command center, wheels and tires, Tazer, all LED lights, dual battery kit, compressor, solar setup, rooftop tent, fridge, etc, etc).

I'm aware that I'm posting this on a JL forum, but if you were in my shoes, taking the above in to consideration, what would you do? Pros and cons? I'm just looking for some other perspectives. Thanks!

Jeep Wrangler JL Overlanding | Trade JT For 2 Door--Am I Crazy? IMG_20210406_051838_790
Sponsored

BenDiem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 991.2TT; 23 EVO RWD
Occupation
US Gov’t Contractor & Gym Rat
I’ll give you my two pfennig/perspective...
I must be a contrarian because I’ve never understood the colossal sales success/appeal of big trucks in the good ole USA.
Big Trucks take up way too much contact patch for my liking.
Big Trucks are generally clumsy & poor handling, with poor braking and other poor performance metrics.
People who utilize/need trucks for their craft - totally understood!
Here is my point, if Jeep offered a two door JT with a small bed (5’), I’d buy one. I like small trucks. They’re cool!
I think the JT is just too damn big/long/cumbersome.
This is my fourth 2 door Wrangler. Love em!
YMMV...

cheers/B

0II392II0

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURH
Go with what puts the biggest smile on YOUR face. F-everyone's opinion, think about what you do and how you do it. If you're still up in the air with your opinion, see if you can get a dealer to let you take a JL over night to think about it, or rent one, it's all about the feeling you get while driving, deep down you have your answer.

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Con: not able to carry as much stuff
Pro: more maneuverable on tight trails

I'd probably just stick with the JT since you already have it. And I don't really like JTs.
Fair points!

I’ll give you my two pfennig/perspective...
I must be a contrarian because I’ve never understood the colossal sales success/appeal of big trucks in the good ole USA.
Big Trucks take up way too much contact patch for my liking.
Big Trucks are generally clumsy & poor handling, with poor braking and other poor performance metrics.
People who utilize/need trucks for their craft - totally understood!
Here is my point, if Jeep offered a two door JT with a small bed (5’), I’d buy one. I like small trucks. They’re cool!
I think the JT is just too damn big/long/cumbersome.
This is my fourth 2 door Wrangler. Love em!
YMMV...

cheers/B
I'm kind of with you. I do appreciate a truck bed, because I tend to haul a fair bit of work-related gear around with me, sometimes wet/muddy/smelly, so it's nice to have, but I agree with you that crazy large trucks are a bit more prevalent than they probably should be. The JT is quite long, but it's very narrow, and in my opinion, is surprisingly maneuverable. The "mid" size trucks of today are pretty much the same size as the HD trucks of yesterday though, so it skews the perspective a bit. At this point though, I just know I would appreciate something smaller and more economical. I'd also love to finally have a vehicle that fits in my garage! That'd be a gamechanger.

Go with what puts the biggest smile on YOUR face. F-everyone's opinion, think about what you do and how you do it. If you're still up in the air with your opinion, see if you can get a dealer to let you take a JL over night to think about it, or rent one, it's all about the feeling you get while driving, deep down you have your answer.
No doubt. I'm not looking for a go-ahead from anyone, moreso just different perspectives. I appreciate both sides of a problem when making a decision. I'm trying to be a bit proactive right now--I'm out of the country for a bit and am unable to go out and test drive myself currently. I've never driven a 2-door, but I know that I love the form factor and appreciate their capability. I'm 99% sure that I would fall in love with a stick shift 2 door, cruising with the top and doors off, but I could just use some input from those more experienced with the platform on whether or not it can do what I need it to do.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Make sure you're not giving up more space than you realize. You're going from the room-galore Jeep to the no-room Jeep. 2-doors are always an exercise in efficient use of space, especially if you don't remove the back seat.

Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I think a 2 door Jeep Wrangler can be a great overland rig for one or two intimate couple.

I think a good setup would be a 2 door hardtop with the following added on:
Gobi Roof Rack
Jame Baround Explorer (Roof Top Tent)
Goose Gear Campkitch and drawer system

Then someway to store extra fuel, like the AEV Fuel Caddy.

I think this basic setup, with what modifications you make to the Jeep will make a sweet over landing rig.

JL_Jeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon, 2016 Husqvarna FE350S
Occupation
Computer Geek
OK...I was in your boat. I sold my 2012 JKR and ordered a 2020 JTR with a manual transmission. It was a love/dislike relationship. I sold it and then ordered a 21 2 door. It is hands down the best driving/steering Jeep I have owned (4). But some people will need the additional space, I did not and have not looked back. I have included a pic of the Gladiator for sentimental reasons... :)

20200509_190249.jpg

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
So, I'm tossing around the idea of trading my built out Gladiator for a JL--likely a 2 door, and I'm looking for input. I like the 4 doors as well, but I've always loved the 2 doors and how maneuverable and capable they are. My primary recreational use for the vehicle is camping, exploring, and overlanding, but it is my daily driver as well so I appreciate drivability and economy.

I almost feel like I *overbuilt* with my JT. I absolutely love it, but to be honest, it almost seems like too much for my purposes. I adventure almost exclusively solo. I wouldn't mind downsizing and being a bit more selective with what gear I take out with me, while getting a package that is even more capable (on trails) and economical than my JT. What got me thinking about this is the very high sale/trade offers that I have gotten--I'm being offered more for it than what I paid for it brand new off of the lot. I have a large amount of equity in the JT, and my losses on aftermarket parts would be negligible since I can carry over many of the add-ons to the JL platform (seat covers, command center, wheels and tires, Tazer, all LED lights, dual battery kit, compressor, solar setup, rooftop tent, fridge, etc, etc).

I'm aware that I'm posting this on a JL forum, but if you were in my shoes, taking the above in to consideration, what would you do? Pros and cons? I'm just looking for some other perspectives. Thanks!

Jeep Wrangler JL Overlanding | Trade JT For 2 Door--Am I Crazy? 20200509_190249
No such thing as "over doing it" in a Jeep world! It looks great, stop thinking!

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Make sure you're not giving up more space than you realize. You're going from the room-galore Jeep to the no-room Jeep. 2-doors are always an exercise in efficient use of space, especially if you don't remove the back seat.
I would definitely remove the rear seats. I carry a rear passenger, maybe, once every 6 months or so. I'm used to motorcycle camping as well, so I'm no stranger to packing conservatively. I know I would have to give up some things, but in an odd way that's part of the allure of the thought of downsizing for me--making my adventures a bit simpler.

I think a 2 door Jeep Wrangler can be a great overland rig for one or two intimate couple.

I think a good setup would be a 2 door hardtop with the following added on:
Gobi Roof Rack
Jame Baround Explorer (Roof Top Tent)
Goose Gear Campkitch and drawer system

Then someway to store extra fuel, like the AEV Fuel Caddy.

I think this basic setup, with what modifications you make to the Jeep will make a sweet over landing rig.
Great minds think alike--I''ve actually been eyeing all of the parts that you mentioned, with the exception of the tent. I already own an ikamper SkyCamp Mini, so I would be reusing that if anything. I think it would make for an incredibly mobile and capable rig.

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK...I was in your boat. I sold my 2012 JKR and ordered a 2020 JTR with a manual transmission. It was a love/dislike relationship. I sold it and then ordered a 21 2 door. It is hands down the best driving/steering Jeep I have owned (4). But some people will need the additional space, I did not and have not looked back. I have included a pic of the Gladiator for sentimental reasons... :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Overlanding | Trade JT For 2 Door--Am I Crazy? 20200509_190249
Sharp! And, good to know someone else is in the same boat. If you don't mind, what are/were your favorite and least favorite things about each platform?

No such thing as "over doing it" in a Jeep world! It looks great, stop thinking!
Haha, thanks! And, that is very true. Jeeps definitely suck you in. I love to tinker and modify on any vehicle that I own. The JT was no exception, and if I go the JL route that won't be either.

Sponsored

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I have a 2 door and love it. Of you want more stuff you can always get a small off-road trailer. That's what I did.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
2drs hold a lot of backpacking/cycle camping type gear haha. I use to do both and find a 2dr has enough room and works. But at 69, I like my RV comforts more.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I think you'd be crazy to give up the truck bed if you're really into overlanding. Since you mostly go solo, you could make a JL 2-door work, but I'd ask myself honestly how many places I've tried to go that my JT couldn't get me there and a JL would. Chances are not many (or maybe even none). You'd be giving up huge amounts of utility.

It's whatever you want, though. This thread is gonna attract the 2-door people who take out their back seats and then claim to have found an extradimensional rift in the back of their rig and can store more stuff than a Tahoe. The daily reality of living with a 2-door generally isn't as rosy as it's made out to be on the internet, especially in an enthusiast forum. Heck, some of the realities with a 4-door really aren't up to par with most other modern vehicles on the road if we're being honest lol

tkelly11

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wanderingobservations.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
So I have a two door and late last year went out to Utah and rented a Gladiator with rooftop tent etc. I loved it! So much fun and at some point wouldn't mind owning a Gladiator. But I still loved getting back to my 2 door. One of the main reasons is actually just how quick the little 2 door feels compared with the Gladiator. You could absolutely feel the weight of it on the highway. I will say however that the longer wheelbase and increased weight did make for a smoother ride... although that also could be to do with me living in Chicago with some horrendous roads. But overall I still prefer the two door. I do a lot of camping and road trips and it serves me well. If it is just yourself or you and one person, the two door is fine and a lot of fun!

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I'm honestly thinking about going from my 4dr JL to a JT because of overlanding needs.

Crazy to think someone would downsize from JT to a 2dr..
Sponsored