Sponsored

Overlanding | Trade JT For 2 Door--Am I Crazy?

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
seems like too much for my purposes
hmmm...
I'm just looking for some other perspectives
Keep the JT. Get yourself the 2 dr that you want. Live with both. An individual who can afford the mods that you have seems like they arenā€™t really hurting when it comes to money.

Those offers for your truck arenā€™t going to suddenly disappear when you get your 2dr. Besides, at this point youā€™re already used to too much for your purposes.

Another couple of hundred bucks a month isnā€™t going to break your back. Worst case scenario you hate the JL, sell it to get out and still have your JT.

Best case scenario you have two new Jeeps in your home that you love, honor and cherish.

Jaym

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Iā€™ve never had the two door, but I was itching for more space in my JLUR when camping. My JT is perfect for overlanding and multi day camping trips and I wouldnā€™t go back. Between firewood, water, gear, etc, I would never trade the space my gladiator provides to downsize to a two door. Plus, my cab is clean and not stacked to the brim with the truck bed. I feel like performs just as well or better than my wrangler, but I had to go up in size tires a little and lift. Running 2.5ā€ evo on 37s and itā€™s perfect for Utah overland type trails..plus can tackle a majority of the Moab trails. Maybe youā€™re just itching for a change?

Alsoā€”steering issues are resolved. Saw someone earlier post they traded down to a wrangler, but the new steering box that came out last august corrects it for the JL and JT.
Jeep Wrangler JL Overlanding | Trade JT For 2 Door--Am I Crazy? 993C0B55-4AA8-42F3-9DF5-C968DF58D7F7
Jeep Wrangler JL Overlanding | Trade JT For 2 Door--Am I Crazy? DC015274-5D47-4C21-B4BA-D1F0F1CC836E
Jeep Wrangler JL Overlanding | Trade JT For 2 Door--Am I Crazy? F1AE4FDF-2034-4D62-9E9A-14C8BF7D29D4
Jeep Wrangler JL Overlanding | Trade JT For 2 Door--Am I Crazy? D21098AD-7015-421B-A83C-496ADF232319

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
A trailer offers the most comfortable sleeping experience by far. Nothing compares. You can get to wherever you wanna sleep, set the camper and go play around with a light Jeep.
That's exactly why I'm looking into an off road trailer w/ RTT. With a trailer you can "claim" your campsite and take unburdened excursions. Sometimes that's very important. Whereas with an RTT on the Jeep or an interior sleeping area. You have to give up the site and lug it all around with you.

Sponsored

TangoRomeo7688

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon 2.2 Diesel
My two cents, as I am a 2 door JL owner too, and planning to overland with it.

I work at a Jeep dealership here in Germany, so conditions for a new car were really really good when I had to made my choice in octobre last year, since my old Blazer ZR2 didn't make it any longer to stay at my driveyard.

First, my opinion was: Take the JLU, it has more space to go with friends as daily driver, it has more space at all, it has a longer wheel base which makes it more comfortable..

Then my wife said:
You know.. when we're out with friends... they drive with their own car, we are always alone in the car, everytime we drive around. Neither we have kids, nor a dog to carry with us.
And you also need the car for hunting, you should go with the shorter wheel base.

With that in mind, and I knew she was right, I drove the 2 door JL Rubicon we had in stock... and I instantly loved the car.
The choice was quickly made.. rear seat delete and I am good to go.

We also are planning to overland with this car the next years, so we have to made a few plans how to use the interior, but also the exterior, space as good as we can.

This means:

- Gobi Roof Rack for maximum capability in weight AND space.
- Airline mounts to both sides of the hard top / fuel left / gear right
- Build a customized drawer unit that allows me maximum use of space while daily driving AND gives me the flexibility to carry everything with me I need on a 10 day trip
- Due to space on the rack, we won't go with a RTT in future. We will mount either a 270Ā°side awing or a Rhino Dome 1300 to the rear // at the moment I prefer the idea of the Rhino Dome, cause I could connect my favorit tent to it. With side walls an both side of the dome, you're good to go.
- Payload on 2 door is a big downside. My Rubicon 2.2Diesel has a payload of only 269kg with rear seats --> throw the seats out and put the cargo drawer in, I gain 5kg more. This means: I will go with the EU stock plastic bumpers in front and in rear and have to mount the winch behind the stock bumper -> a bit of a challenge at the moment, but steel or alloy bumpers reduce the payload too much.
- Could raise the payload with a 2,5" AEV lift and new Rims.. but this will brake the bank at the moment---> maybe in the future, there are more important things to do at this time.

My conclusion:

The 2 door IS overlanding capable, BUT you have to make your plans very very careful, and think twice about the space you have, and you have to keep the weights more in mind than with your JT.
But I absolutely love how easy you can push the 2 door around corners on small wood trails :)

Greets

Tobias

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
You might be able to find someone with a built JLU that wants a built JLT and do a swap

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Wow usually these threads all lean one way when it comes to opinions. This one seems to be 50/50 with a lot of excellent points.
My 2 cents: Iā€™d rather stick with the larger vehicle. I have a JLU and have been going up to the country more than ever. I started with fitting everything in the cargo area. Now as others have mentioned Iā€™m buying more and more stuff (recovery gear, chain saw, etc) and whata ya know? Iā€™ve got crap now loaded in the back seat area.
Iā€™m waiting for the Jeep 18 wheeler model. Lol.

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Generally I think people should overland with the smallest vehicle that does what they need. A JT is great because it has lots of space, but it's long and isn't suited as much as a 2 door or even a JL on some of the tighter forest trails. That said, if you've never had a 2 door I'd spend some time with one. They're....small....and the JL's are bigger than the TJ's.

I went with a JLU specifically for the larger room and possibility of an Ursa Minor top for this build (Probably picking my top up this week, fingers crossed).
Before the Gladiator was even announced, I loved the idea of a 4 door with an Ursa Minor top. I hope you can get yours soon! If I sold my roof racks and rooftop tent, that would nearly cover the cost of an entry level model. I wouldn't be opposed to a JLU either honestly, but I think that'd put me in a similar boat of having lots of space to fill.

hmmm...
Keep the JT. Get yourself the 2 dr that you want. Live with both. An individual who can afford the mods that you have seems like they arenā€™t really hurting when it comes to money.

Those offers for your truck arenā€™t going to suddenly disappear when you get your 2dr. Besides, at this point youā€™re already used to too much for your purposes.

Another couple of hundred bucks a month isnā€™t going to break your back. Worst case scenario you hate the JL, sell it to get out and still have your JT.

Best case scenario you have two new Jeeps in your home that you love, honor and cherish.
Fair points. I don't think the resale value of Jeeps are going anywhere any time soon really. I'm not in a rush to decide.

Iā€™ve never had the two door, but I was itching for more space in my JLUR when camping. My JT is perfect for overlanding and multi day camping trips and I wouldnā€™t go back. Between firewood, water, gear, etc, I would never trade the space my gladiator provides to downsize to a two door. Plus, my cab is clean and not stacked to the brim with the truck bed. I feel like performs just as well or better than my wrangler, but I had to go up in size tires a little and lift. Running 2.5ā€ evo on 37s and itā€™s perfect for Utah overland type trails..plus can tackle a majority of the Moab trails. Maybe youā€™re just itching for a change?

Alsoā€”steering issues are resolved. Saw someone earlier post they traded down to a wrangler, but the new steering box that came out last august corrects it for the JL and JT.
993C0B55-4AA8-42F3-9DF5-C968DF58D7F7.jpeg
DC015274-5D47-4C21-B4BA-D1F0F1CC836E.jpeg
F1AE4FDF-2034-4D62-9E9A-14C8BF7D29D4.jpeg
D21098AD-7015-421B-A83C-496ADF232319.jpeg
That's a damn sharp JT! What is your sleep setup? Ground tent?

Agreed on the steering. I got the TSB done and the steering was absolutely night and day.

Wow usually these threads all lean one way when it comes to opinions. This one seems to be 50/50 with a lot of excellent points.
My 2 cents: Iā€™d rather stick with the larger vehicle. I have a JLU and have been going up to the country more than ever. I started with fitting everything in the cargo area. Now as others have mentioned Iā€™m buying more and more stuff (recovery gear, chain saw, etc) and whata ya know? Iā€™ve got crap now loaded in the back seat area.
Iā€™m waiting for the Jeep 18 wheeler model. Lol.
Agreed. I'm pleasantly surprised by the mix of input!

You could pick up one of those new Grand Wagoneers if you want more interior space, haha. But yeah, this thread has given me more to think about so far than I thought. I do love the JT and genuinely appreciate the space that it provides--I just don't know if I *need* the space as a solo traveler.

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
The 875lb payload and 2000lb towing of a 2dr are dealbreakers. With gas I'd have essentially 500lbs for rack, tent, and gear, if I were traveling alone. Can't even pull a decent on-road trailer. For overlanding in a Jeep, you just can't beat a JT. I can't imagine a trail that a 2dr can go on that a JT can't also go on with added difficulty. 2drs are also more prone for roll-overs and flipping over (so I have read and seen on vids) so the longer wheelbase of the JT does have some advantage there.

2drs are great little wheelers, but not for overlanding, not for me anyway

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
So, I'm tossing around the idea of trading my built out Gladiator for a JL--likely a 2 door, and I'm looking for input. I like the 4 doors as well, but I've always loved the 2 doors and how maneuverable and capable they are. My primary recreational use for the vehicle is camping, exploring, and overlanding, but it is my daily driver as well so I appreciate drivability and economy.

I almost feel like I *overbuilt* with my JT. I absolutely love it, but to be honest, it almost seems like too much for my purposes. I adventure almost exclusively solo. I wouldn't mind downsizing and being a bit more selective with what gear I take out with me, while getting a package that is even more capable (on trails) and economical than my JT. What got me thinking about this is the very high sale/trade offers that I have gotten--I'm being offered more for it than what I paid for it brand new off of the lot. I have a large amount of equity in the JT, and my losses on aftermarket parts would be negligible since I can carry over many of the add-ons to the JL platform (seat covers, command center, wheels and tires, Tazer, all LED lights, dual battery kit, compressor, solar setup, rooftop tent, fridge, etc, etc).

I'm aware that I'm posting this on a JL forum, but if you were in my shoes, taking the above in to consideration, what would you do? Pros and cons? I'm just looking for some other perspectives. Thanks!

IMG_20210406_051838_790.jpg
Going from a Gladiator to a 2-door Wrangler is going to feel like losing 100 lbs of flab and taking up yoga! :LOL:

If you can swing it, I say go for it!

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
Jt has a box and some towing capacity. 2 door jeep has easy potential to do a 180 on icy roads. It doesnt have much cargo room.
Just keep the jt and buy a 2 door.

longlivethemanual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 3.6L 6MT
This thread is gonna attract the 2-door people who take out their back seats and then claim to have found an extradimensional rift in the back of their rig and can store more stuff than a Tahoe.
On my second two-door now and I wouldn't trade it for a JLU or JT by any means. Yes, I have pulled out my back seat and it's great on trips with two people. However, I also have a set up I can take two kiddos camping and therefore need the back seat in place. I built a bed solution that can actually be assembled over the top of the folded rear seat. I can sleep there while the other two are up in the RTT. I may be a bit of a minimalist at heart, but when challenged to make something with less there are more ways than you might first think.
Sponsored