Overlanding suspension

Donevan.Ausborn

First Name
Donevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangle JLU Sport S 2.0, 03 VTX 1800 C
Having so many choices is amazing yet so hard to even know where to start. Are there overland dominant brands for suspension, if so what are they. Just looking for a simple shocks and springs type of thing as I am working on a budget. I see Icons everywhere but are way to expensive and buddy recommends teraflex but I haven't heard much about them. Point me in a direction folks.
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I'm in the process of doing the same thing. Looks like I'll be going with Old Man Emu because load weight is a primary focus of their kits, which matters far more in overlanding than lift height. I'm looking at their 2" Medium Load kit (which is the heavy load kit for 2-doors) as I want to keep the stock JLR 33" tires to maintain range. The JLUs have a choice of light/med/heavy load. They also have 2.5-3" kits. I can't tell you anything about it since I don't have it yet, but they seem to be one of the few suspensions focused on overlanding a heavy vehicle instead of rock crawling a light vehicle.

BTW, your buddy is right. I really like the ride of Teraflex but I decided to not go that route because that was in an unburdened Jeep. The Teraflex will sag with a heavy load and they suggest correcting that with a leveling spacer, which sounds like an afterthought band-aid to me. I'd rather have springs designed from the start to bear an overlander load.

OP
OP
Donevan.Ausborn

Donevan.Ausborn

First Name
Donevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm in the process of doing the same thing. Looks like I'll be going with Old Man Emu because load weight is a primary focus of their kits, which matters far more in overlanding than lift height. I'm looking at their 2" Medium Load kit (which is the heavy load kit for 2-doors) as I want to keep the stock JLR 33" tires to maintain range. The JLUs have a choice of light/med/heavy load. They also have 2.5-3" kits. I can't tell you anything about it since I don't have it yet, but they seem to be one of the few suspensions focused on overlanding a heavy vehicle instead of rock crawling a light vehicle.

BTW, your buddy is right. I really like the ride of Teraflex but I decided to not go that route because that was in an unburdened Jeep. The Teraflex will sag with a heavy load and they suggest correcting that with a leveling spacer, which sounds like an afterthought band-aid to me. I'd rather have springs designed from the start to bear an overlander load.
My buddy’s with Hilux’s run the old man emu’s and love them, and definitely a good thought about the teraflexs seem to be more for height but I thought you could get heavier springs, my friend that runs Tera’s is waiting on a rack and tent to put on, so I’m waiting to see how that turns out😬

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
For overlanding, it's usually more about carrying additional equipment load comfortably and effectively, rather than height.

And the higher you go, the more you want things like adjustable track bars and control arms.

Sticking to a budget, ARB's OME 2" lift is a solid choice.
https://arbusa.com/jeep-wrangler-jl-2018-on/old-man-emu-4x4-suspension/

Depending on how much gear, JL4DLK or JL4DMK

ARB isn't messing around when they say "heavy" springs. Only go there if you've got like a thousand pounds of gear on/in your jeep.

AEV is also a solid choice, and includes a drop bracket for the control arms, which is nice for preserving caster for driveability.
https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/jl-2-5-dualsport-rt-suspension/

OP
OP
Donevan.Ausborn

Donevan.Ausborn

First Name
Donevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For overlanding, it's usually more about carrying additional equipment load comfortably and effectively, rather than height.

And the higher you go, the more you want things like adjustable track bars and control arms.

ARB isn't messing around when they say "heavy" springs. Only go there if you've got like a thousand pounds of gear on/in your jeep.

AEV is also a solid choice, and includes a drop bracket for the control arms, which is nice for preserving caster for driveability.
Roger that, thank you so much for your response! OMEs seem like the way to go then. And I don’t think I will be carrying a “heavy” load even tho I find myself carrying a lot more than I actually need!😂. Love the Tacoma btw

Sponsored

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon

AEV, it's pretty much the only reason they build a kit.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
If you're looking for something capable of handling extra weight from accessories without sag and without sacrificing ride and comfort, take a look at our Ride Right kit!

Our Ride Right kit is our entry-level system that still uses all of the same high-end components found on our more expensive kits, but with only the most crucial suspension upgrades a newly lifted vehicle needs. This kit utilizes front upper adjustable control arms to fix and dial in your caster angle, as well as front and rear adjustable track bars to re-center your axles.

This kit is also fully upgradeable to our complete Overland Plus system, if you wanted to upgrade to the complete kit in the future.

This kit is available in both 1.5" and 2.5" versions.

https://www.claytonoffroad.com/product/jeep-wrangler-25-ride-right-lift-kit-4dr-2018-jl-4xe

Jeep Wrangler JL Overlanding suspension DSC07216-16 mobile

OP
OP
Donevan.Ausborn

Donevan.Ausborn

First Name
Donevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you're looking for something capable of handling extra weight from accessories without sag and without sacrificing ride and comfort, take a look at our Ride Right kit!

Our Ride Right kit is our entry-level system that still uses all of the same high-end components found on our more expensive kits, but with only the most crucial suspension upgrades a newly lifted vehicle needs. This kit utilizes front upper adjustable control arms to fix and dial in your caster angle, as well as front and rear adjustable track bars to re-center your axles.

This kit is also fully upgradeable to our complete Overland Plus system, if you wanted to upgrade to the complete kit in the future.

This kit is available in both 1.5" and 2.5" versions.

https://www.claytonoffroad.com/product/jeep-wrangler-25-ride-right-lift-kit-4dr-2018-jl-4xe

DSC07216-16 mobile.jpg
Sent you a DM with more questions and comments about the Lift Kit and your company!
Sponsored