OP
OP
Reinen

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
To follow up, I now have the OME Heavy Load kit installed (with OME adjustable control arms, track bars and sway bar links). Very happy with it!

I was a bit concerned about going with the Heavy kit because my winter config is a lot lighter than my summer/overlanding config. IMO, not a problem at all. Unburdened, the heavy load kit is firm but not harsh. I wouldn't recommend being unburdened with the Heavy kit all the time but if your weight varies it's not terrible when you're light. I don't have a sense of sacrifice when I'm unloaded. It's just a little on the firm side but still comfortable, no big deal.

Burdened is where it really shines. It just handles the weight. I can take up to moderate trails while only barely thinking about my cargo weight, taking trails much more comfortably. More like I'm at stock weight. With the stock suspension, cargo weight was constantly on my mind putting me in perpetual cringe mode. Of course, when fully loaded for overlanding in the middle of nowhere with nobody else around you don't risk rock crawling. So for the heavily loaded overlanding use case where you avoid rock crawling whenever possible, OME gets it done.

Appearance wise, I think it looks good with 33s but you could easily go with 35s (not doing that to maintain range). I'd call the OME 2" kit more of an overlanding suspension than a lift. At least on a Rubi where it's only 1", the 2" is based on non-Rubis. Before settling I gained about 1.25" on a Rubi (add 1" for non-Rubis) but it can seem like more because it doesn't squat anywhere near as much as stock does. But IMO the lift aspect is more of a side effect in comparison to how the suspension now says yeah, pack me up! I got this! Let's go! Exactly what I was looking for.

This is fully loaded w/ OME 2" Heavy Load suspension w/ stock KO2 33s. DIY Slide-out kitchen, drawers, fridge/freezer. camping gear, all liquid tanks/cans full. At GVWR, mostly in the rear. Ready for an overlanding trip. I do get a 1/2" squat fully loaded up but that's much better than stock. I can live with it as leveling it loaded would make me ass-high in winter. I'd take an unloaded pic to compare but I'm not taking all my stuff out just for a forum pic, sorry. 🤷‍♂️
That'll happen once in late spring and once at the start of winter.

Jeep Wrangler JL Overlanding Suspension Lift Selection 20220816_135412

In comparison, this was fully loaded on the stock Rubi suspension. I clearly had a problem.
Jeep Wrangler JL Overlanding Suspension Lift Selection 1660848917219
Sponsored

Last edited:

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
To follow up, I now have the OME Heavy Load kit installed (with OME adjustable control arms, track bars and sway bar links). Very happy with it!

I was a bit concerned about going with the Heavy kit because my winter config is a lot lighter than my summer/overlanding config. IMO, not a problem at all. Unburdened, the heavy load kit is firm but not harsh. I wouldn't recommend being unburdened with the Heavy kit all the time but if your weight varies it's not terrible when you're light. I don't have a sense of sacrifice when I'm unloaded. It's just a little on the firm side but still comfortable, no big deal.

This is fully loaded w/ OME 2" Heavy Load suspension w/ stock KO2 33s. DIY Slide-out kitchen, drawers, fridge/freezer. camping gear, all liquid tanks/cans full. At GVWR, mostly in the rear. Ready for an overlanding trip. I do get a 1/2" squat fully loaded up but that's much better than stock. I can live with it as leveling it loaded would make me ass-high in winter...
After living with it for a year and, more importantly, a winter, how are you liking the OME Heavy Load kit? We have similar setups with 285 KO2s/Al bumpers/Maximum3 rack, though most of my gear is backpacking gear without any cabinets.

OP
OP
Reinen

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After living with it for a year and, more importantly, a winter, how are you liking the OME Heavy Load kit? We have similar setups with 285 KO2s/Al bumpers/Maximum3 rack, though most of my gear is backpacking gear without any cabinets.
Loving it. Zero regrets, would do it again in a heartbeat.

A key thing is that when I'm closer to stock weight in winter I'm primarily on smooth roads in severe winter conditions (as in 903" of snow last season). So while not seeing the asphalt is very normal there also isn't much need for articulation and absorbing large bumps.

The Heavy Load suspension does need cargo weight to really shine. OME says 660 lbs to GVWR. But if you don't have it I don't think it's particularly bad. it's not harsh at all, just a little firm. I actually appreciate that firmness on-road. Off-road or on a shoddily maintained road it isn't terrible, but you know it would ride smoother if you were carrying more weight. I find the lack of weight primarily impacts side-to-side rocking because the suspension resists articulating a little more it should. There just isn't quite enough weight to compress the high side. That wouldn't stop me from going anywhere though.

IDK what AK roads are like. You may want to opt for the Medium Load suspension. That's rated for 330 lbs to GVWR. Maybe not quite as good with 800 additional lbs but it will handle it and it will also be a bit better on rougher roads when you're unloaded.

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
Loving it. Zero regrets, would do it again in a heartbeat.

A key thing is that when I'm closer to stock weight in winter I'm primarily on smooth roads in severe winter conditions (as in 903" of snow last season). So while not seeing the asphalt is very normal there also isn't much need for articulation and absorbing large bumps.

The Heavy Load suspension does need cargo weight to really shine. OME says 660 lbs to GVWR. But if you don't have it I don't think it's particularly bad. it's not harsh at all, just a little firm. I actually appreciate that firmness on-road. Off-road or on a shoddily maintained road it isn't terrible, but you know it would ride smoother if you were carrying more weight. I find the lack of weight primarily impacts side-to-side rocking because the suspension resists articulating a little more it should. There just isn't quite enough weight to compress the high side. That wouldn't stop me from going anywhere though.

IDK what AK roads are like. You may want to opt for the Medium Load suspension. That's rated for 330 lbs to GVWR. Maybe not quite as good with 800 additional lbs but it will handle it and it will also be a bit better on rougher roads when you're unloaded.
Thanks for the update! The roads here are hit or miss, lots of gravel, some have washout/potholes/washboard. And in winter you might hit ~speed bumps~ 6” ice berms when crossing more-trafficked roads. But me and two dogs already hits 330lbs without gear 😅.

OP
OP
Reinen

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the update! The roads here are hit or miss, lots of gravel, some have washout/potholes/washboard. And in winter you might hit ~speed bumps~ 6” ice berms when crossing more-trafficked roads. But me and two dogs already hits 330lbs without gear 😅.
Wow, I wouldn't have expected the speed bumps but it does make sense. I guess you won't want to fall off those berms as you go down the road.

I can tell you that If you're light with the OME Heavy Load suspension those speed bumps won't be bad if you cross them dead on. If you hit them at an angle it will result in firm side-to-side rocking as you go over. Again, not harsh but firm. If you have the cargo weight it will be much smoother.

Sponsored

Flyn G

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon, 2021 Subaru WRX
Occupation
DFJ Pilot
I’m looking for something similar with my suspension too. Would you know the weights of your Jeep Overland loaded versus normal or winter weights. I’m uncertain if I want the heavy weight. I know I don’t want much lift. I know my Jeep weighs 4900 lbs empty. So 2 people, tools, recovery gear, and a lunch will put me pretty much at GVWR for our normal trail rides.

OP
OP
Reinen

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m looking for something similar with my suspension too. Would you know the weights of your Jeep Overland loaded versus normal or winter weights. I’m uncertain if I want the heavy weight. I know I don’t want much lift. I know my Jeep weighs 4900 lbs empty. So 2 people, tools, recovery gear, and a lunch will put me pretty much at GVWR for our normal trail rides.
OME's weight ratings are based off of stock curb weight. If you're at GVWR the heavy load will likely be the most appropriate. The lift height is based off of Sport height, so on a Rubicon the 2" lift is more like a 1" lift. But you will get slightly more until it settles. I have the 2" with stock Rubicon tires and I don't think it looks like I skipped leg day. More like it has a slightly readier for off-road stance.

IDK my exact weights, kinda afraid to know really. Year round I wheel with HT, aftermarket aluminum bumpers, rhino rack, hi-lift, winch, recovery gear & tools. In the summer the cargo area is loaded with a slide-out plywood kitchen, fridge/freezer, house battery, camping gear and water/fuel Rotopax (12 gal total). In the winter config all that comes out and the rear seat goes back in.

In the summer I find the Heavy Load to be perfect. In the winter it's a bit firm for off-road articulation (never harsh just a bit firm) but kind of nice on-road. I'm usually on paved roads in severe winter conditions then. So maybe make your call based on that.

Flyn G

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon, 2021 Subaru WRX
Occupation
DFJ Pilot
Thanks for the quick response. I probably should have gone with lighter choices but I am happy with the results except the back end now feels too soft when trail riding. I think the rear factory shocks are dying. So it’s time to replace with better. My wife occasionally does fill in at a quarry office so running Rubi over the scale was easy peasy. Skids underneath are next after the suspension. Still gaining weight…

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer

Burdened is where it really shines. It just handles the weight. I can take up to moderate trails while only barely thinking about my cargo weight, taking trails much more comfortably. More like I'm at stock weight. With the stock suspension, cargo weight was constantly on my mind putting me in perpetual cringe mode. Of course, when fully loaded for overlanding in the middle of nowhere with nobody else around you don't risk rock crawling. So for the heavily loaded overlanding use case where you avoid rock crawling whenever possible, OME gets it done.

Appearance wise, I think it looks good with 33s but you could easily go with 35s (not doing that to maintain range). I'd call the OME 2" kit more of an overlanding suspension than a lift. At least on a Rubi where it's only 1", the 2" is based on non-Rubis. Before settling I gained about 1.25" on a Rubi (add 1" for non-Rubis) but it can seem like more because it doesn't squat anywhere near as much as stock does. But IMO the lift aspect is more of a side effect in comparison to how the suspension now says yeah, pack me up! I got this! Let's go! Exactly what I was looking for.

This is fully loaded w/ OME 2" Heavy Load suspension w/ stock KO2 33s. DIY Slide-out kitchen, drawers, fridge/freezer. camping gear, all liquid tanks/cans full. At GVWR, mostly in the rear. Ready for an overlanding trip. I do get a 1/2" squat fully loaded up but that's much better than stock. I can live with it as leveling it loaded would make me ass-high in winter. I'd take an unloaded pic to compare but I'm not taking all my stuff out just for a forum pic, sorry. 🤷‍♂️
That'll happen once in late spring and once at the start of winter.

In comparison, this was fully loaded on the stock Rubi suspension. I clearly had a problem.
I have extensive overlanding, having done it for YEARS before I got in the rock crawling game. From Mexico to Alaska, Wash State, Maine, Europe Latin America, Puerto Rico, and more.

What is needed is a Compliant Suspension and to get this you need some lift. I call it at 2-2.5 in. To make it compliant, which covers a LOT of bases: Street, loaded, unloaded, desert trails, and Junlgles and Forest rods and more. This is where my Rancho RE 9000 XL shocks work their magic with its 9 individual firmness settings.

Jeeps, ALL Jeeps should come with 35 tires IMO w/4:10 cogs. I think there is an after-market 3:90 option I believe or there was. That would a great combo fo Overlanding.

Yes I do not run OEM tires I need something better for OL and I found it: Goodyear Duratracs, 35 x 12: 50 x 17 are the best combo Daily street and Weekend Ooverlanding.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/goody...rangler-duratrac-312054142/_/R-DVFB-312054142

I will tell you this. Difference in Range between the 33 and 35, my 35 beats the 33 by almost 2 mpg.

I overland for years and years, then in 2002 I got into Rocks and did that for 10 years and now I am back to overlanding because I don't MUD here in Florida.

If had come into Jeep shop this would recommended.

It how I have built mine and I am picking up my 2024 JLR-X tomorrow slapping on those 35 Druatracs and my new springs and shocks for a 2 in lift.

Your Jeep, your wallet, your build and I stand behind you 100%

OP
OP
Reinen

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the quick response. I probably should have gone with lighter choices but I am happy with the results except the back end now feels too soft when trail riding. I think the rear factory shocks are dying. So it’s time to replace with better. My wife occasionally does fill in at a quarry office so running Rubi over the scale was easy peasy. Skids underneath are next after the suspension. Still gaining weight…
If you're still gaining weight I'd go for heavy load so you don't need to worry about it. Firm will be your only possible complaint. It's not harsh at all. As I said, if you you are light the firmness is still rather nice on-road. You can also do heavy load in the rear and medium up front if that's how your weight is distributed.

winojoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon EcoDiesel
Not only are our use cases very similiar, but I'm also a IT archictect.

I also run very heavy, use it as a daily driver, and just to moderate-trails.

Anyhow,

I'm also looking at AEV 2.5" which is designed for overlanding weight. But the kit is incomplete and I'd need extra components to get the geometry more favorable.
I have an 2020 JLUR EcoDiesel with an AEV DualSport 2.5" lift with the AEV HD Springs. Based on my experience there's nothing wrong with the geometry out of the box the Jeep drives great on the highway, better than stock, with the bilstiens.

The only negative about AEV's setup is the Bilstein 5100s didn't last long. I had to replace them after about 25K miles. I replaced them with Falcon 3.3 shocks, that's when it became untenably stiff.

But there's more to my story. My 2020 EcoDiesel is going back to FCA under the California Lemon Law. I already bought a 2024 JLU 4xe Rubicon X.

I'm not going to keep the AEV components, Instead I'm going to get either Clayton Overland 2.5" lift OR the Teraflex CT 2.5" lift. I'm keeping my 35"BFG K02s from my EcoDiesel.

I'm looking at TF CT2 kit as I like it on an unburdened Jeep and the kit is much more complete and adjustable. But how does it handle being at GVWR? That IDK.
Ha, that's why I'm surfing the forums today! I sent an email to TF with this very question.

My second concern is the Falcon 3.3 shocks. They are very stiff, even on the "1" setting. They did not pair well with the AEV Lift with AEV's High Capicity springs. Not enjoyable.
Sponsored