Overlanding question

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
I have been seeing a lot of vehicles with an overlanding theme lately. Here in the Charlotte NC area, we see Lexus, Porsche, Toyota, and Jeep all dressed up to go out. Racks, lights everywhere, extra fuel cans, and those plastic traction boards strapped down accompany some sort of overlanding club sticker. I find it quite laughable to see all this gear on some stock highway tread tires. We know they ain’t going to far off road with those things. Especially here in the south east, you can’t hardly find a place to get off road. Of course I see these rigs parked at the sushi restaurant. All this brings to mind a question . . .

Is “overlanding“ just a goofy accessorizing phase similar to steampunk?

I view those plastic traction boards as nothing more than steampunk goggles. To each their own, but that includes the way I see it. Does anyone else look at overlanding that way?
Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
All I care about is that people enjoy their vehicle, in whatever definition that means to them.

Overlanding ain’t my thing, but off-roading isn’t their thing either.

There are lots of ways to enjoy a Jeep

Just wait until the bronco comes out. There will be overlanders everywhere you look (at least when looking near well traveled roads anyway)

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
In this age of Instagram it is all about looking the part for your friends, even if you never go more than 5 miles from the house.

Overlanding comes with a lot of high-visibility gear, which tends to attract a lot of posers. Snorkels, in particular, have become the ultimate poser mod, no matter how hard people try to justify needing one.

Still, overlanding as an activity can be quite fun.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
If you've got highway tires, you are more likely to need those traction boards if ever you do make it off pavement, am I right? They could also just be super helpful and maybe rescue folks running out of gas or driving off the road.

There is something about the idea of having gear on hand to solve a multitude of problems. I don't know if I'd use it enough to justify buying it, but I guess that's the rub isn't it? You never know when you might need it, so, bring everything you could possibly need with you at all times. Spare fuel sure beats fuzzy dice.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tank the Jeep

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
I wish I had the need for all that gear. True overlanding looks to be a blast. Love to spend weeks out in the bush. But like most people, providing for my family comes first. That means off to work we go. Still I chuckle at the 600 pounds of gear when the biggest outing is Starbucks a couple towns over.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
Have done a lot of hunting and fishing trips over the years that were several days long. We did not use the term overlanding but it is what we were doing. Living with what you packed into our rig and set up camp at the end of the day. Hunt or fish that area the next morning and then move on.

Times change and gear gets more sophisticated but look at the difference in the vehicles in the past 30 years. Some folks drink Bud and some others drink Corona and when you cross paths who care, hoist your mugs and share the good time together

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I can agree with all the sentiments including the original post. My buddies and I enjoy car camping and we do like to pick fun at how trendy “overlanding” has become. There are no shortage of YouTube videos of all the “must have gear.” I mean, 350 dollar plastic storage containers? Gtfo... it’s easy to be critical but at the end of the day, people are dumping money into the economy and enjoying their vehicles without hurting anyone. At least it’s not like street racing in the 90s. So I’ll raise my beer, as someone else mentioned.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
overlanding has been a thing for decades, and it involves traveling over very long distances, usually international travel. You don't need the biggest meanest tires to overland and equipment, in fact you want to keep the weight down and be as efficient as possible for better range. If tomorrow you decided to take a van all the way to the amazon, you would be overlanding.

Off-roading is about going offroad and testing your and yours vehicle limits, range is less of a concern. Off-road camping is the same but involves a destination and camping.

Overcamping involves just going camping, loaded, with way more than you need; youre overdoing it.

Most people on youtube are off-road camping, taking their rig to a weekend destination and camping off the grid, you dont need RTT for this.

Most people you see on the road are either overcamping or just carrying s bunch of crap in case the apocalypse suddenly hits.

Last edited:

SCOverlander

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Diesel
I can agree with all the sentiments including the original post. My buddies and I enjoy car camping and we do like to pick fun at how trendy “overlanding” has become. There are no shortage of YouTube videos of all the “must have gear.” I mean, 350 dollar plastic storage containers? Gtfo... it’s easy to be critical but at the end of the day, people are dumping money into the economy and enjoying their vehicles without hurting anyone. At least it’s not like street racing in the 90s. So I’ll raise my beer, as someone else mentioned.
It’s all about the cool factor.

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
I don't think any term has come to irritate me more than overlanding. There was a point in my Jeep hobby where I really loved the word - and the idea of "exploring" that it represented to me. That's what we used to call it when I drove Toyotas from maybe 1999-2005. Overlanding was a term around then, of course, but the big youtube channels that drive what we see now didn't exist, and gigantic groups like Overland Bound didn't exist.

I'm a firm believer of to each their own and "let people enjoy things." While I personally find the useless gizmos (not solid gear - but useless gizmos) to be extraneous, and the gamification of collecting badges and doing vehicle "walkarounds" to be a bit silly just to go camping - I can see how they appeal to people and honestly wish them the best.

What is annoying to me, and I suppose it's a sign of the times, is how the "overlanding" crowd has created things that didn't really exist 20 years ago in large numbers. A perfect example is these large scale tagalongs where literally 10, 15, sometimes 20 rigs get together after a discussion on the forums and suddenly your favorite area to camp has this conga line of rigs rolling through, every one overweight with every piece of gear imaginable. We just didn't see that much 15 years ago (not saying never, but it was rare). Live/let live, let people have fun and all that - but it's a demonstrable disturbance and a big reason my friends and I have learned to love winter camping. The cold and risk of getting a vehicle stuck at least provides *some* barrier of entry so the idea of getting out, and secluded, is a bit more possible. Of course, the regulators are observing this phenomena and if large groups don't police themselves we end up with more trail closures, more gates locked, etc.

It's important to note that heading out on public land is not at all illegal and everyone, even conga lines with 15 sets of maxtrax between them, has the right to be there. Where the dilemma comes is when everyone exercises that right at the same time, on the same trails, without any self-driven effort at conservation/control. Off roading clubs and 4x4 clubs and dedicated individuals have spearheaded this effort for years. "Overlanding" groups, not so much.

I would say the Overlanding craze/trend is overall a positive thing - new gear has been created as a result and if you can have self control with the visa card and just buy what is needed, there's some kit out there that really does make things easier/more fun, etc. Getting others interested in the outdoors is never a bad thing either, as long as trail stewardship is as important as "doin' it for The Gram."

OP
OP
Tank the Jeep

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
It’s all about the cool factor.
Same can be said to all segments.

i.e. Crawlers commuting to/from work with 20k in suspension upgrades.

Are my stock BFG K02's "stock highway tread tires?"
I’ve had my KO2s rock crawling at Uwharrie. The KO2 seems to be the perfect overlanding tire. I was referring to a tread pattern that’s at home on a Prius. My last trip to Uwharrie after going up trail dicky bell. A land rover discovery started up on small highway tread, no lockers and obviously no concern about the vehicle. It was entertaining for a while. Sort of like watching a fish out of water. The disco was certainly flopping around. We watched until it was painful and went to the next trail. The KO2s did great.

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think any term has come to irritate me more than overlanding. There was a point in my Jeep hobby where I really loved the word - and the idea of "exploring" that it represented to me. That's what we used to call it when I drove Toyotas from maybe 1999-2005. Overlanding was a term around then, of course, but the big youtube channels that drive what we see now didn't exist, and gigantic groups like Overland Bound didn't exist.

I'm a firm believer of to each their own and "let people enjoy things." While I personally find the useless gizmos (not solid gear - but useless gizmos) to be extraneous, and the gamification of collecting badges and doing vehicle "walkarounds" to be a bit silly just to go camping - I can see how they appeal to people and honestly wish them the best.

What is annoying to me, and I suppose it's a sign of the times, is how the "overlanding" crowd has created things that didn't really exist 20 years ago in large numbers. A perfect example is these large scale tagalongs where literally 10, 15, sometimes 20 rigs get together after a discussion on the forums and suddenly your favorite area to camp has this conga line of rigs rolling through, every one overweight with every piece of gear imaginable. We just didn't see that much 15 years ago (not saying never, but it was rare). Live/let live, let people have fun and all that - but it's a demonstrable disturbance and a big reason my friends and I have learned to love winter camping. The cold and risk of getting a vehicle stuck at least provides *some* barrier of entry so the idea of getting out, and secluded, is a bit more possible. Of course, the regulators are observing this phenomena and if large groups don't police themselves we end up with more trail closures, more gates locked, etc.

It's important to note that heading out on public land is not at all illegal and everyone, even conga lines with 15 sets of maxtrax between them, has the right to be there. Where the dilemma comes is when everyone exercises that right at the same time, on the same trails, without any self-driven effort at conservation/control. Off roading clubs and 4x4 clubs and dedicated individuals have spearheaded this effort for years. "Overlanding" groups, not so much.

I would say the Overlanding craze/trend is overall a positive thing - new gear has been created as a result and if you can have self control with the visa card and just buy what is needed, there's some kit out there that really does make things easier/more fun, etc. Getting others interested in the outdoors is never a bad thing either, as long as trail stewardship is as important as "doin' it for The Gram."
I have heard overlanding referred to sarcastically as "overcamping". I find that really funny.
Sponsored