Overlanding my daily driver on 37s

Beardedgator

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL RUBICON
Just got back into the jeep world. Previously I owned a 2018 JLUR when they first hit the market. I put a RC 2.5 inch spacer lift with 37s on it until I figured out what quality lift i wanted. It rode amazingly (other than steering) I ended up getting rid of the truck and here I am again

this time I really want to get into over landing with 37s. This is my daily driver with about 20-25k miles a year

I will be equipping the jeep with a winch with synthetic line, keeping the steel bumpers,aluminum skid plates (one piece at a time starting with oil pan and trans)

currently a soft top, might purchase a hard top to help carry the gear

all this to ask, as I build this jeep with this gear, am I going to run into major clearance issues keeping it at 2.5 inches of lift? Do I need to go ahead and go 3 inches.

The responsible voice in my head says “go with RC spacer again, and as you add gear you will have a better idea of your clearance issues and a year from now you can sacrifice 2k for a better mid level suspension”
Sponsored

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
You’re going with 37’s because?

Tires will stress the running gear, steering and suspension. Then you’ll be loading a bunch of gear; how much extra weight?

There’s certainly nothing wrong with doing something just because you want to, just don’t go into it without understanding the upside and downside.

I would never waste money on RC for a rig that will see dirt. Every dollar is a dollar wasted that could have gone into something better.

OP
OP

Beardedgator

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL RUBICON
You’re going with 37’s because?

Tires will stress the running gear, steering and suspension. Then you’ll be loading a bunch of gear; how much extra weight?

There’s certainly nothing wrong with doing something just because you want to, just don’t go into it without understanding the upside and downside.

I would never waste money on RC for a rig that will see dirt. Every dollar is a dollar wasted that could have gone into something better.
i think a bigger waste would be to get a lift because “it’s better than RC” and then want to switch but you’re 2k int

rc would be $200 that I could install myself.

I want 37s because I think 35s look small and awkward. I shop hard for my tire and wheel setup. My 37 wheel and tire combo is usually lighter than most people’s 35. I know weight isn’t everything but it definitely has a impact on wear and tear.

not Sure how much total weight I will be adding but everything I purchase will be on the lighter side of options, armor, winch, tent,etc. It all adds up

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Nothing wrong with a spacer lift, we ran Fins, hells revenge, top of the world, poison spider, golden spike, and gold bar rim in moab and Holcomb creek, John Bull, and gold mountain in big bear on nothing more than a spacer lift and 37's. We then upgraded shocks, springs, steering, track bars, and ball joints as things wore out. 3 years and 50k+ miles later, 2 moab trips, OR, CA, AZ, NV, and CO wheeling and road tripping this jeep without issues. Probably upgrading to rock krawler long arms next. If I had it to do over I'd probably go full rock krawler long arms with fox 2.5s out the gate, but it's been a blast figuring out how much this thing can do stock and experiencing the improved performance of each upgrade along the way. For an overlanding build, you'll want better shocks and a rear spring with a higher rate in my opinion at a minimum. The stock rear springs sag a lot when you add weight to the back.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing wrong with a spacer lift, we ran Fins, hells revenge, top of the world, poison spider, golden spike, and gold bar rim in moab and Holcomb creek, John Bull, and gold mountain in big bear on nothing more than a spacer lift and 37's. We then upgraded shocks, springs, steering, track bars, and ball joints as things wore out. 3 years and 50k+ miles later, 2 moab trips, OR, CA, AZ, NV, and CO wheeling and road tripping this jeep without issues. Probably upgrading to rock krawler long arms next. If I had it to do over I'd probably go full rock krawler long arms with fox 2.5s out the gate, but it's been a blast figuring out how much this thing can do stock and experiencing the improved performance of each upgrade along the way. For an overlanding build, you'll want better shocks and a rear spring with a higher rate in my opinion at a minimum. The stock rear springs sag a lot when you add weight to the back.
If you do go with RK long arms, reach out, there’s a few things not in the instructions, and a couple things I’d do different………

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
If you do go with RK long arms, reach out, there’s a few things not in the instructions, and a couple things I’d do different………
Definitely will do, just upgraded shocks, went to 38's, and regeared in the last 4 months so it will probably be next winters round of upgrades...
Sponsored