Overland Trailer

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
As others said, Patriot is awesome but way out of my price range. Heck, I think my first house was cheaper if I priced the JLUR and x3 together.
Sponsored

Jeepn’

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
@TexRivers I think it is good to know ones budget before making suggestions. You can find nice used trailers for $4k-$10 depending on your needs. The more basic the trailer the cheaper it will be. I personally found an old military m416 trailer someone done some work on and then built it up to be the storage I needed to travel with 3 young kids and a dog for weeks on end; and house my fridge, but otherwise with minimal fanciness.

Also I've been trailering offroad for a while now and can say it can be very limiting if you do harder trails or explore down unknown paths. Some places with crazy tight switchbacks can be a real nuisance or or my worst enemy the very slippery snow/mud where you have to reverse down a narrow path. If there isn't traction its very hard to put your trailer where you want when reversing; the trailer goes w/gravity & terrain not input from the hitch. I recommend trying to reduce what you bring over taking a trailer if that is possible. A lot of people struggle with trailers and reversing and I'm surprised how many people I've had to help that tow a lot with reversing their trailer out of a bad spot.

But I also think it is great having a trailer because I can leave it at base camps while I go wheel, pack well in advance and not have to lug food and gear around with me during the week, and I use it a ton for home depot runs (more than camping). I'm happy to help you figure what will work well for you if you decide you need a trailer. I would highly recommend avoiding smittybuilt. I believe they've fixed the issues they saw with their initial release, but the design itself flawed and puts a lot of stress at the point they were seeing failures. You want some weight behind the trailer axle otherwise you may overload your tongue which could lead to poor steering or breaks. All those videos online showing how to not put too much weight on the rear of a trailer don't show how it can be equally bad to put too much on the tongue/front of the trailer. You need even balance and packing is important (side to side and front to back).

This is my old JK, I don't have any good pics of the JL towing the trailer. I'm very bad about stopping and getting good pics, I'm too into the drive and views to think of it in the moment.

jeep01.jpg

Jeep-trailer.jpg
What do you do to keep it from being stolen when left behind?

ArmyRN

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1946 Willys CJ2A, 1998 Jeep TJ, 2023 Willys JLU
Years ago I built a little overlanding trailer based off a 4' Harbor Freight trailer frame. Over the years of modifying it it is what it is today. It has been towed thousands of miles and does great. Here's a link to the build - it is long, but if you will read through it, you too can build one like mine for just a couple thousand dollars ($3000-ish depending on how you finish it out):

Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread | Jeep Enthusiast Forums (jeepforum.com)

The base of the tub measures 40" x 50". The old WWII trailers measured 40" x 72". Using a HF frame you can pretty much make it whatever size you want. With a little strategic reinforcing the frames are quite strong.

I had a company make the aluminum diamond plate tub. I made it all enough so that two 8-gallon Rubbermaid Action Packers could be stacked on top of each other with room for the lid to close. All the tub is is a box with a hinged (and lockable) lid; no tailgate/slide-outs, etc. Simple storage. I had it made in the shape of a WWII trailer because I thought it would look better that way being pulled behind a Jeep.

Axle is a 3500lb Dexter axle with electric brakes. The factory slipper springs were swapped out for double-eye springs with a shackle at the rear. Tires are 235/75/15" on 15x7" rims. RTT is actually a Cabela's double-sized tent cot.

(I've got a 2023 JLU Willys XR Sting-Gray on order in case you're wondering).

PM me if you have any questions. It wasn't difficult to build, and I don't weld. So this is pretty much cut/drill/attach with bolts.

Jeep Wrangler JL Overland Trailer Willys and trailer.6 (2)

Jeep Wrangler JL Overland Trailer Willys and trailer.7 (2)

Jeep Wrangler JL Overland Trailer TAT.2

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
What do you do to keep it from being stolen when left behind?
The lid locks easily which I do if going into a restaurant or motel. I also take the hitch connection with me since it’s not something most people will have. The wiring hook up is also detachable so again something most people wouldn’t have on hand and might get caught in process or taking it somewhere since the trailer lights wouldn’t work.
If I had to leave where I was really worried I’d do a boot system to prevent the wheel from rotating. Anything can be circumvented, all security does is slow down a thief or keep honest people honest.

Jeepn’

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Years ago I built a little overlanding trailer based off a 4' Harbor Freight trailer frame. Over the years of modifying it it is what it is today. It has been towed thousands of miles and does great. Here's a link to the build - it is long, but if you will read through it, you too can build one like mine for just a couple thousand dollars ($3000-ish depending on how you finish it out):

Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread | Jeep Enthusiast Forums (jeepforum.com)

The base of the tub measures 40" x 50". The old WWII trailers measured 40" x 72". Using a HF frame you can pretty much make it whatever size you want. With a little strategic reinforcing the frames are quite strong.

I had a company make the aluminum diamond plate tub. I made it all enough so that two 8-gallon Rubbermaid Action Packers could be stacked on top of each other with room for the lid to close. All the tub is is a box with a hinged (and lockable) lid; no tailgate/slide-outs, etc. Simple storage. I had it made in the shape of a WWII trailer because I thought it would look better that way being pulled behind a Jeep.

Axle is a 3500lb Dexter axle with electric brakes. The factory slipper springs were swapped out for double-eye springs with a shackle at the rear. Tires are 235/75/15" on 15x7" rims. RTT is actually a Cabela's double-sized tent cot.

(I've got a 2023 JLU Willys XR Sting-Gray on order in case you're wondering).

PM me if you have any questions. It wasn't difficult to build, and I don't weld. So this is pretty much cut/drill/attach with bolts.

That thing is rad! been wanting to build one recently, its cool to see the smaller of the two HF trailers.

ArmyRN

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1946 Willys CJ2A, 1998 Jeep TJ, 2023 Willys JLU
That thing is rad! been wanting to build one recently, its cool to see the smaller of the two HF trailers.
Thanks.

So what's stopping you from building one? It is amazing what all even a little trailer like mine can carry inside and out. The trick is to make them a little tall. It is all about volume (L x W x H). In some ways when building a trailer, you're limited by Length and Width. Folks forget about Height (of course there's a limit there too). Mine stays in the shop about 85% packed at all times (the other 15% being food and such).

The thread I gave you pretty much explains it all. It is a long thread, but if you can read through the whole thing, you too can make a little trailer.

Let me know what I can do to help you build one of your own. It is a fun project that is very usable once done.

Jeep Wrangler JL Overland Trailer Overland Adventure.6
Sponsored