FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I am fairly new to the overland term and what it means for a vehicle to be put into that category of an overland vehicle. I know there is some Sahara JL with an overland badge but this does not revolve around that at all.

What exactly fits the overland requirements? Is it the idea of being able to 100% survive in your vehicle for X-XX amount of days or something? I get the general idea, its being able to turn your rig into basically a mobile shelter/bed/kitchen unless I am wrong.

Roof top tents, awnings, onboard air/gas/water/fuel storage etc....is that right?

Also for those with experience with roof top tents, I understand a lot of them require roof racks. I like the idea of a roof top tent because its perfectly ideal for off-roading and camping. Unfold it, pop it up in a matter of minutes. You are off the ground, and it has benefits depending on the model you get of providing shelter/shade for the sides of the rig much like say a pop up tent would. Looking for brand recommendations for the roof top tents, and also recommendations on roof racks (for a soft top only equipped Jeep!).

Obviously no one can give any recommendations for a JL at the moment, looking for first hand experience with past versions on JKs and which ones you all that are familiar would gravitate towards as a JL option once they become available without hesitation.
Sponsored

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
I always thought overland meant being capable of driving over MOST terrain RELIABLY over a long time.

Cal_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future JLU
I always thought overland meant being capable of driving over MOST terrain RELIABLY over a long time.
That's pretty spot on.

Overlanding describes self-reliant adventure travel to remote destinations where the journey is the primary goal. Typically, but not exclusively, accommodated by mechanized off-highway capable transport (from bicycles to trucks) where the principal form of lodging is camping; often lasting for extended lengths of time (months to years) and often spanning international boundaries. While expedition is defined as a journey with a purpose, overlanding sees the journey as the purpose.
Even more of a technical breakdown in this link: http://www.overlandjournal.com/overlanding/what_is_overlanding/

Personally, I'm interested in a combination of Overlanding and Four Wheeling.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Basically it is just off-road camping for anywhere from overnight to ——
Check out Ursa Minor vehicles For an idea of a camper top for a jeep. Or as someone suggested expedition portal. Jeep. Ursa Minor. Yes they will build one for a jlu

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
I am fairly new to the overland term and what it means for a vehicle to be put into that category of an overland vehicle. I know there is some Sahara JL with an overland badge but this does not revolve around that at all.

What exactly fits the overland requirements? Is it the idea of being able to 100% survive in your vehicle for X-XX amount of days or something? I get the general idea, its being able to turn your rig into basically a mobile shelter/bed/kitchen unless I am wrong.

Roof top tents, awnings, onboard air/gas/water/fuel storage etc....is that right?

Also for those with experience with roof top tents, I understand a lot of them require roof racks. I like the idea of a roof top tent because its perfectly ideal for off-roading and camping. Unfold it, pop it up in a matter of minutes. You are off the ground, and it has benefits depending on the model you get of providing shelter/shade for the sides of the rig much like say a pop up tent would. Looking for brand recommendations for the roof top tents, and also recommendations on roof racks (for a soft top only equipped Jeep!).

Obviously no one can give any recommendations for a JL at the moment, looking for first hand experience with past versions on JKs and which ones you all that are familiar would gravitate towards as a JL option once they become available without hesitation.
I do like hard-shell RTTs a lot but soft-shell RTTs generally offer more room (many fold out) and are lighter/cheaper.

https://expeditionportal.com/head-to-head-hard-shell-vs-soft-shell-roof-top-tents/
Sponsored