Sponsored

Overland or Rubicon - Can't Decide

GoIrish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Chrysler Pacifica, 2019 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
Hi guys – longtime reader / first-time poster. I am preparing to place my Gladiator order and I remain torn between the Rubicon and Overland. Based on my configuration, there is “only” a $3K difference between the two models. Although I don’t plan to tap into the capability of the Rubicon, I do like the aesthetic look of the vented hood, Fox shocks, chunkier tires, and steel bumper. In my view, if I elected to make any of these modifications on my own to the Overland, even if for purely aesthetic reasons, I’d already be approaching Rubicon cost, and so I might as well just go with the Rubicon to start with, which, beyond the aesthetic appeal, brings the added capability of the locking diffs, disconnecting sway bar, etc… This is not as big of a deal for me, but I could see the Rubicon holding its value slightly better for someone looking to take it off my hands in a few years purely as an offroad / adventure vehicle.

As for the Overland, I really prefer the leather covering on the dash to the painted plastic look of the Rubicon. I’m planning to go with the saddle brown leather, so I would lose the red accents in the Rubicon (which I do not prefer). I also like the functionality of the side step on the Overland (versus the rock rails on the Rubicon), although I’m not a huge fan of the gray plastic. If I go with the Rubicon, I’d probably add an electric side step at some point down the line, which would give me the functionality without all of the plastic.

I’m probably 80% sold on the Rubicon at this point, but interested in getting others’ thoughts! I suppose I should drive a Rubicon / Sahara JL in stock form for a driving comparison as well, but any comparative thoughts on driving dynamics would be very helpful also, even considering that the Gladiator rear end has more in common with the Ram 1500 than the JL.
Sponsored

biggdave92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR / 2000 XJ Sport 4x4
Rubi has 4.10 gears. Overland has 3.73. Overland should get slightly better MPG and be a better daily driver.

Kdmerchant

First Name
Ketan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Gobi Rubicon
Can you ever go back?! I have a ‘17 Gobi Rubicon. Beautiful, loaded truck. Too nice to off-road for me sadly but I’m in the woods a fair bit. Top has never been off it rained every day I wasn’t working last year it seems. I can almost trade equal for a base Sport. I sort of want retro crank windows and a manual, relive my experience of my 1st Sahara I bought in ‘98. But can you ever go back?? Now I’m used to heated seats, nav, Alpine, remote start. Maybe I should just be happy with what I’ve got...

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Some benefits of Rubicon:

4.10 gears
Wide track axles
Lockers
Electronic swaybar disconnect
Highline fender flares
Nicer looking hood
Fox shocks
Bigger/nicer tires AT or MT

Overland

More of a feminine model
Better daily driver
More luxurious

Sponsored

jayd33

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi Q7 3.0 Prestige, 2016 Mercedes-Benz SL400,
I've been pretty set in getting the Overland trim since the beginning. But now I'm leaning heavily towards the Rubicon as the max towing on Overland is 6k lbs while Rubicon is 7k lbs. The family's travel trailer when loaded may exceed or max out at 6k lbs. But yeah, I'm with ya. I feel the capabilities of the Rubicon will be going to waste in our household. On the bright side, fully loaded Rubicon is less than I expected, this forum taught me not to pay MSRP for the truck, and I became eligible to get at least 1% below invoice. I'm now just waiting for the Gobi or the Sting Gray to become available.

jayd33

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi Q7 3.0 Prestige, 2016 Mercedes-Benz SL400,
Some benefits of Rubicon:

Overland

More of a feminine model
Better daily driver
More luxurious
Just my opinion--- but nothing screams insecurity to me than someone trying to label things as 'feminine' or less 'masculine'.

P.S. I'm hoping you don't get offended by this reply. But if you do, I understand. Feeling like someone questioning your masculinity will sometimes make folks with insecurities even angrier.

OP
OP

GoIrish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been pretty set in getting the Overland trim since the beginning. But now I'm leaning heavily towards the Rubicon as the max towing on Overland is 6k lbs while Rubicon is 7k lbs. The family's travel trailer when loaded may exceed or max out at 6k lbs. But yeah, I'm with ya. I feel the capabilities of the Rubicon will be going to waste in our household. On the bright side, fully loaded Rubicon is less than I expected, this forum taught me not to pay MSRP for the truck, and I became eligible to get at least 1% below invoice. I'm now just waiting for the Gobi or the Sting Gray to become available.
I agree completely. This will also be a third car for my family, so daily driver comfort doesn't factor into the equation as much for me than it would if this would be my DD.

JTRUBI

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Go for the Rubicon. Even though you don’t plan to take it off-road, if you ever do decide to you’ll be more than well equipped for the challenge. The resale value is quite substantial as well. Take a look at used Sahara’s vs Rubicons. You’ll be getting more return on your investment that way as well. It comes down to preference and what you can afford, if 3k isn’t a big difference too you, it’s the overall better choice.

My Rubicon held a larger value on it and I got back over 85% what I paid for it when it was written off last year. It was 4 years old and had over 100k on it.

Hi guys – longtime reader / first-time poster. I am preparing to place my Gladiator order and I remain torn between the Rubicon and Overland. Based on my configuration, there is “only” a $3K difference between the two models. Although I don’t plan to tap into the capability of the Rubicon, I do like the aesthetic look of the vented hood, Fox shocks, chunkier tires, and steel bumper. In my view, if I elected to make any of these modifications on my own to the Overland, even if for purely aesthetic reasons, I’d already be approaching Rubicon cost, and so I might as well just go with the Rubicon to start with, which, beyond the aesthetic appeal, brings the added capability of the locking diffs, disconnecting sway bar, etc… This is not as big of a deal for me, but I could see the Rubicon holding its value slightly better for someone looking to take it off my hands in a few years purely as an offroad / adventure vehicle.

As for the Overland, I really prefer the leather covering on the dash to the painted plastic look of the Rubicon. I’m planning to go with the saddle brown leather, so I would lose the red accents in the Rubicon (which I do not prefer). I also like the functionality of the side step on the Overland (versus the rock rails on the Rubicon), although I’m not a huge fan of the gray plastic. If I go with the Rubicon, I’d probably add an electric side step at some point down the line, which would give me the functionality without all of the plastic.

I’m probably 80% sold on the Rubicon at this point, but interested in getting others’ thoughts! I suppose I should drive a Rubicon / Sahara JL in stock form for a driving comparison as well, but any comparative thoughts on driving dynamics would be very helpful also, even considering that the Gladiator rear end has more in common with the Ram 1500 than the JL.

wooderson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
To me the extra towing is worth it alone.
But you add in all the goodies it’s a no brainer.
As far as not using all a Rubicon can do don’t worry. Most Rubicons out in the wild ever see dirt.

Sponsored

OP
OP

GoIrish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To me the extra towing is worth it alone.
But you add in all the goodies it’s a no brainer.
As far as not using all a Rubicon can do don’t worry. Most Rubicons out in the wild ever see dirt.
I think you guys have conclusively talked me into the Rubicon at this point. For the record, mine will definitely see some dirt, but probably none of the rocks that they're climbing up and down in the review videos... Amazing stuff.

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I might actually suggest you get the Overland. You say you do not like the looks/feel of the Rubicon interior parts. Those are much harder to change after the fact vs. adding some exterior mods later on. How long do you plan on owning it? Long enough to burn through the dealership tires? It is easy to replace those with more aggressive tires and your cost is really only the difference between the stock tire prices and the off road tire prices. The Fox shocks do look cool, but they are not going to give you a nicer ride on the pavement, where you will probably spend 95% of your time in Orlando. And there are a lot of options out there for a front bumper, could probably even find a stock steel take off from someone going with an aftermarket bumper. The hood would probably be the hardest/most expensive issue to solve.

I think you would still come out quite a bit ahead after putting tires and a bumper on the Overland vs the Rubi + stock steel bumper + some aftermarket side steps. Take that extra $2000~$3000 and go on a nice vacation with it.

While resale is a factor, I never buy a vehicle based on what the owner after me might prefer. I'm the one taking the biggest hit on its value, so I'm going to enjoy it most. That philosophy is helped out by the high resale value of all Wranglers (I think the JT will be the same).

fiatlux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
500 Abarth, Sequoia 4x4
I would have suggested the Overland if it was like the JL Sahara and could be fitted with the Selec-Trac FT4WD system, but since it can't be, mechanically I can't see any benefits of getting the Overland over the Rubicon.

Sadly, this is actually one of the reasons I might end up with a JL rather than a JT. The lack of FT4WD is somewhat of a dealbreaker given that I'll be driving in snow much much more than muddin' or rock crawling.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
One other thing to consider is that the Rubicon will have a much better resale value in a few years down the road as opposed to you adding stuff to the Overland.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
One other thing to consider is that the Rubicon will have a much better resale value in a few years down the road as opposed to you adding stuff to the Overland.
Having bought and sold wranglers, this theory, while common, is somewhat overblown. You’ll lose about the same % in depreciation on a sport as you will on a rubi, you’re just starting with a bigger number. Someone on the JL side did a little study of the used market a few years back, and it was pretty even.
Sponsored