Overland doesn't seem to bridge the gap between Sport S & Rubicon

Oodaloop

First Name
Bora
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
The Gladiator interests me because I would of loved to get a Wrangler but am currently in need of a vehicle that can also tow. So the Gladiator obviously is going to interest me.

I am however disappointed and find the combination of what options are available for which trims to be odd. Specifically the Overland trim.

There are four trims. Sport, Sport S, Overland, and Rubicon listed in order of their hierarchy respectively

The Sport trim makes sense as a base model. It has the standard offroad setup, most basic option choices, and a 5 inch touchscreen BUT can still be equipped to achieve the max tow rating.

The Rubicon trim makes sense as the top model. It has the best off road setup, premium option choices, a 8.4 inch touchscreen BUT it can NOT achieve the max tow rating, which makes sense since it is geared for off roading.

The Sport S (What do you suppose the "S" stands for? It's usually "Sport", so is it the Sport Sport trim? It's a silly name) builds on the Sport by giving you more standard features, premium options, a 7 inch touchscreen, and still the ability to achieve the max tow rating.

The Overland is odd in that it continues to build on the Sport S with even more standard features, the same premium options, and a larger 8.4 inch touchscreen, BUT it also does NOT let you get the 4.10 Rear Axle Ratio that you can get with the Sport and Sport S trim, which I believe is the only thing holding it back from being able to achieve the maximum tow rating.

Basically what I'm saying is,

The Rubicon is the premium trim with all the nice standard features & premium options while gaining 4x4 ability yet losing towing capacity,
then shouldn't
The Overland be the premium trim with all the nice standard features & premium options that has maximum towing but not all the 4x4 ability of the Rubicon?

I'd like to get an Overland and its options w/ the max tow capacity.

Unfortunately though with the current combination of models/trim I'd have to choose between the Sport S and lose the nicer standard features and 8.4 inch touchscreen or get a Rubicon and lose the max towing. The Overland should bridge the two trims yet it doesn't.

PS. My other grief is the gas V6 will have 285hp/260tq yet the reports on the to be released later diesel model will have 260hp/442tq yet will tow LESS than the gas V6 because of cooling issues. Really? Cooling issues? You put that beast of a motor in an already class leading tow rated vehicle and the tow rating goes DOWN? Come on guys, you can do better than that. If I was an engineer there I'd be embarrassed at that fact.

Sorry for the negative post, but I only post this so hopefully the people in power will see this and make the changes before things are set in stone. I really like this vehicle and I mention these things because the vehicle is SO close to perfect. Fix these things and a Overland Diesel w/ 8.4 inch touchscreen, leather, all the safety tech, rear lsd, and max towing will definitely be my next vehicle.
Sponsored

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
The aftermarket for these will be huge. It will be very easy to build a Gladiator of your dreams. Start with the basics. If you want max tow get it from factory and build it from there.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
It doesn’t bridge the gap because there isn’t supposed to be a gap. Overland and Rubicon are best thought of as two different branches to the Gladiator tree rather than escalating trim levels. Overland if you want features and road manners, Rubi if you want the best factory off-road and crawling gear / options.

They’re both the top trim level for their respective uses...

wooderson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
I’m leaning towards the Overland because of the auto 4 wheel drive and a lesser extent the unique dash. Also it should fit my needs with some mods and be less in price then the Rubicon.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
I’m leaning towards the Overland because of the auto 4 wheel drive and a lesser extent the unique dash. Also it should fit my needs with some mods and be less in price then the Rubicon.
Sorry to be a downer but I am pretty sure the full time 4x4 tcase that is an option on a Sahara is not available on a gladiator at all, not even the Overland.

Sponsored

wooderson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Sorry to be a downer but I am pretty sure the full time 4x4 tcase that is an option on a Sahara is not available on a gladiator at all, not even the Overland.
What!! Well that sucks. Why the hell did I think that was a sure thing.
Might change my mind on which trim now.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Agree all of this. It's marketed as trim levels but I was thinking during the reveal when dude was saying rubicon is top of the line with a straight face that if the top of the line is obnoxious with all the look at me then maybe I'm in the wrong brand. Jeep's are functional. To me, the most true is the JTSS - that thing is the best truck available. Rock crawling in a pickup? Give me a beautiful beater for that. Style in a jeep truck? Lol. Maybe fu style, but the full cabin models are for date night imo if you're in a jeep. Anyway, overland is real nice, but would be very very nice with the wide track max tow.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
The aftermarket for these will be huge. It will be very easy to build a Gladiator of your dreams. Start with the basics. If you want max tow get it from factory and build it from there.
While I agree partially, aren't there some things like advanced safety stuff, nicer navigation, front and rear cameras not available on the sport?

wooderson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
It doesn’t bridge the gap because there isn’t supposed to be a gap. Overland and Rubicon are best thought of as two different branches to the Gladiator tree rather than escalating trim levels. Overland if you want features and road manners, Rubi if you want the best factory off-road and crawling gear / options.

They’re both the top trim level for their respective uses...
When you say the Overland will have better road manners. Besides stock tires any other reason this would be true?

Sponsored

Jeep_VB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 LE Gladiator, 22 Grand Wagoneer S1
Agree all of this. It's marketed as trim levels but I was thinking during the reveal when dude was saying rubicon is top of the line with a straight face that if the top of the line is obnoxious with all the look at me then maybe I'm in the wrong brand. Jeep's are functional. To me, the most true is the JTSS - that thing is the best truck available. Rock crawling in a pickup? Give me a beautiful beater for that. Style in a jeep truck? Lol. Maybe fu style, but the full cabin models are for date night imo if you're in a jeep. Anyway, overland is real nice, but would be very very nice with the wide track max tow.
So you are against the Rubicon being the Top of the Line but like the Overland that is considered to be the luxury model? I don't know to me yes the Rubicon has bigger tires and says Rubicon on the hood and the Hood is different but besides that all of them look the same, I do think the Rubicon looks better proportion wise compared to the other models (but to me the proportions are still off). Lastly you say all this and I look at your profile picture of an even more look at me model than the Rubicon. To each his own just trying to understand.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I think we need to remember that all which has been laid out for us to this point is the plan for the initial production phase. There may be future configurations as consumer demand changes. Jeep didn’t tell anyone about the JL Moab trim until one was spotted about mid-production year. If a Moab trim was available WITH Max Towing, this could be the “bridge”.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
So you are against the Rubicon being the Top of the Line but like the Overland that is considered to be the luxury model? I don't know to me yes the Rubicon has bigger tires and says Rubicon on the hood and the Hood is different but besides that all of them look the same, I do think the Rubicon looks better proportion wise compared to the other models (but to me the proportions are still off). Lastly you say all this and I look at your profile picture of an even more look at me model than the Rubicon. To each his own just trying to understand.
Good points! Just my opinions. Agree with proportions, that is going to take checking it out in person for me to figure out. If you are a performance guy, the Rubi is top of the line no doubt about it.

My profile pic is what I feel.

What I drive will be toned down and when you see it you have to think a second before you realize it's got all the necessaries.

I think overland is top of the line due to luxury.

I think Rubi is kick ass, just loud about it. Take for example the red hooks. The stiching. Not more functional, just brighter. So for me, that is the heavy duty truck part of the lineup, given its superior function.

The Sport S for me is the blank canvas. You can start with most of the function, and bolt on to your heart's content.

Now, the basic sport has my respect, it is full on jeep truck, just simpler version.

OP
OP

Oodaloop

First Name
Bora
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
While I agree partially, aren't there some things like advanced safety stuff, nicer navigation, front and rear cameras not available on the sport?
8.4 touchscreen and leather seats too....

OP
OP

Oodaloop

First Name
Bora
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
While true, things like leather seats and factory 8.4 inch screen would be things I wouldn't look to the aftermarket for.
Sponsored