Sponsored

Overland build

Lohkay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm not the type to post about everything I do but since I have a lot more time on my hands, like everyone else, I thought it might be useful to someone if I'd post pictures of my build. For reference, this is for a 2018 JLUR.

I researched quite a few builds to figure out what would work for me. I came across this video: which was pretty much what I was looking for.

My fridge is a Dometic CFX75 which is quite a bit larger so I really had use all available space to make it fit. If I didn't already have the fridge, I'd probably get a smaller one. The stove is a partner steel 22" like in the video. My intention is to add a 1/4" HDPE cutting board on top of the table.

Next step is to finish up my electrical section which goes behind the passenger seat and the water tank behind the driver's seat. I'll post pictures as those come along.

42391838720_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=07e735&_nc_ohc=z43x0XWZ8AEAX_tO4n2&_nc_ht=scontent.fyhu2-1.jpg

13177405440_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=07e735&_nc_ohc=nBc4smQva-EAX-Y6H2m&_nc_ht=scontent.fyhu2-1.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP

Lohkay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
How much does it weigh so far? Looks great!
I don't know yet, I had to put it aside for the time being but I want to go on a truck scale once done to get the total weight. I weighted 4805 lbs, 2314 lbs on the rear axle before. I'm really conscious of the weight I'm adding and its share of the payload which I track on a spreadsheet. I was really surprised by the slide weights as they were not listed where I bought them.

I'm already looking at trussing the rear end or swapping to 1 ton if it's worse than I thought.

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
I'm not the type to post about everything I do but since I have a lot more time on my hands, like everyone else, I thought it might be useful to someone if I'd post pictures of my build. For reference, this is for a 2018 JLUR.

I researched quite a few builds to figure out what would work for me. I came across this video: which was pretty much what I was looking for.

My fridge is a Dometic CFX75 which is quite a bit larger so I really had use all available space to make it fit. If I didn't already have the fridge, I'd probably get a smaller one. The stove is a partner steel 22" like in the video. My intention is to add a 1/4" HDPE cutting board on top of the table.

Next step is to finish up my electrical section which goes behind the passenger seat and the water tank behind the driver's seat. I'll post pictures as those come along.

42391838720_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=07e735&_nc_ohc=z43x0XWZ8AEAX_tO4n2&_nc_ht=scontent.fyhu2-1.jpg

13177405440_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=07e735&_nc_ohc=nBc4smQva-EAX-Y6H2m&_nc_ht=scontent.fyhu2-1.jpg
That is very nice!!

Sponsored

OP
OP

Lohkay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Drum roll please.... The verdict is finally in. Without anything inside (fridge, stove, pans, etc) the total weight is 200 lbs. About what I thought after seeing the weight of the slides. A lot more than I had anticipated beforehand.

All said and done with everything loaded and full tank of gas, I'm 120lbs over gvwr. Beefing up the rear axle is now essential.

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
Here are some pictures with the paint, fridge and stove. I used 2 part urethane paint. Only thing I'm not happy about is the stove, I think I'll have it face the other way.
That looks awesome! Well done, sir. What kind of suspension are you using? Is it sagging much yet?

OP
OP

Lohkay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Still on stock suspension but I added an air lift to help with leveling so no sagging so far.

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
Thank you for this! We're buying a small cargo trailer today to modify into an overlanding/camping trailer, so I came here to see if anyone has build ideas (really, I have NO idea where to start with this, so please PM me if there's a must view thread here somewhere). This was a nice surprise though, as just about an hour ago I was trying to describe to my husband how I wanted a pull our drawer system for a cooking area but I wasn't making a lot of sense (any sense, really LOL). This is perfect, and I never even considered the idea of a 3" slot underneath for a table - which btw we have the PERFECT one already! We never take it camping, but we might now!

Sponsored

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
this is a great set up, it looks like what i've been trying to come up with too.

OP
OP

Lohkay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm really not active on this forum but I've been working on a LOT that goes between that box and the front seats. It's mostly done and needs a coat of paint but once that's done, I'll post some pictures.

Fuzzy Dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
I don't know yet, I had to put it aside for the time being but I want to go on a truck scale once done to get the total weight. I weighted 4805 lbs, 2314 lbs on the rear axle before. I'm really conscious of the weight I'm adding and its share of the payload which I track on a spreadsheet. I was really surprised by the slide weights as they were not listed where I bought them.

I'm already looking at trussing the rear end or swapping to 1 ton if it's worse than I thought.

my rubi shows gvw of 5800...so if your empty weight is 4800 and the box weigs 200 you should have plenty of capacity left....

my rubi axles are rated for 3100 lbs each....so your rear ahould be around 2500 or 2600lbs with the rear box.

JeepColorado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
I'm really not active on this forum but I've been working on a LOT that goes between that box and the front seats. It's mostly done and needs a coat of paint but once that's done, I'll post some pictures.
Here are some pictures with the paint, fridge and stove. I used 2 part urethane paint. Only thing I'm not happy about is the stove, I think I'll have it face the other way.

Jeep Wrangler JL Overland build IMG_20200606_103654

Phenomenal work!! Really well done- thanks for sharing!

OP
OP

Lohkay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Well, time flies and I didn't get the time to paint the new parts. Not sure I'll have the time before it gets too cold so here's my setup:

I start with the seats removed and the cupholder as well.

Jeep Wrangler JL Overland build IMG_20200916_152550

Then comes in the 11 gal water tank from front runner.

Jeep Wrangler JL Overland build IMG_20200916_152826

Then I bolt in my electrical box with the seat bolts.

Jeep Wrangler JL Overland build IMG_20200916_153144

The battery, water pump and expansion tank goes in next, followed by the passenger storage box.

Jeep Wrangler JL Overland build IMG_20200916_153949

Then finally, the top plate

Jeep Wrangler JL Overland build IMG_20200916_155756

I routed the water through my cabinet under the stove shelf so that once extended, water drains outside.

Jeep Wrangler JL Overland build IMG_20200916_163749

Jeep Wrangler JL Overland build IMG_20200916_163726

I still need to add the latch for the water fill port, patch up some unwanted holes and paint it. I've been using it for most of the summer and I'm quite happy with the result. I also routed power to the roof rack for LED strips and 5V usb plugs in the tent and a 50" LED light bar which is actived with the aux switch.
Sponsored