Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Took some pictures. This is the best I could do one handed in the back of my Jeep with the heat cranked because it’s cold and windy outside again.
For the measurements, I tried to take a closeup of the tape measure after each larger picture to get a close up of the final measurement. Also got a few pics with the Fat 50 can for reference. It barely fits parallel, and it’s jammed in there; maybe if the rear seat was an inch forward .

64F6BA36-76BB-4D44-B094-CB95127E1B45.jpeg

F6153E0D-2DF5-4AA3-A757-F6F94CAF0EE6.jpeg

E7164EE9-71B4-446F-8290-7B26CEEE348D.jpeg

CB782712-0BAC-4DB7-B064-2D06426CF08A.jpeg

07968102-24DF-4D2F-A6C1-D6CD8676A2B6.jpeg

93737431-0D49-4254-AC17-F9EE0252A00B.jpeg

FB46E6AF-B84A-4364-9F3E-9EA04F2DC998.jpeg

FC28AD69-C1A7-4C3B-AB1C-DB8B20478DE8.jpeg

65E6C864-44C2-4DBD-99AB-D03A1B87389A.jpeg

7223B7D3-3301-4DC7-A91C-6740BB52ED95.jpeg

417AB6D5-A2D6-49D5-B656-F6882E718BBB.jpeg

26CA68E5-E1DB-420C-91C9-273EB743EEC5.jpeg

148EF54F-94E3-41CD-A47C-636EA93FA72E.jpeg

90602206-1DC8-46A4-BB0C-5DCEA022DFAF.jpeg

45A67710-1E2C-4CE2-B7E9-8F19A516EE9B.jpeg

171BC5C6-37F0-4BB3-BFC7-8AE3476EF29F.jpeg
Sponsored

D.FED

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
After mulling it over for the weekend and toying with a few different sizes of ammo can, I think the best option for storage on the fenders is going to be some sort of bolt-on set-up with an attached hinged lid. The only ammo can that fit appropriately out of my 6, was the much smaller slim 7.62 can. It's about 4" thick and would fit within the smallest allowable area. This can would fit without interfering with the seats, but because it's so small the storage profit you gain from this setup is negligible. On the other hand if we were to install a piece of sheet metal/aluminum vertical against the fender, with the front edge cut and contoured to the back of the seat, and a panel across the front with a lid attached on top that would just swing up, it would give you the most amount of storage, plus it would be much easier to secure while going topless. I took a few additional photos and the most accurate measurements I could. I'll work on drafting a scale print so everyone knows the measurements to work with. Definitely not a single 90 degree angle on those panels though, and no 2 measurements were the same (ie - on top of the fender, 4" of workable height in the back and 9" in the front.) Lots of contours and angles!

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Follow up:
Picking this back up- It's starting to thaw to the point where it isn't offensively and disrespectfully cold outside, and I'm going to have a little bit more time coming up now that some family stuff is done. I've done some extensive visualizing (Hahaha) based on real time usage (road trips and moving stuff around), and I think I have a rough idea of... something.

Just wondering if anyone else has done any work or come up with anything since the last time we posted about this? @Springtail : Doc, I'm going to shoot you a PM. get back to me whenever you get a chance. I don't really have any crazy hard deadlines on this for anything, and It's becoming a project to keep me busy, and involved with Jeeps and fabrication so I don't lose my mind in the midst of every day life.

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
Follow up:
Picking this back up- It's starting to thaw to the point where it isn't offensively and disrespectfully cold outside, and I'm going to have a little bit more time coming up now that some family stuff is done. I've done some extensive visualizing (Hahaha) based on real time usage (road trips and moving stuff around), and I think I have a rough idea of... something.

Just wondering if anyone else has done any work or come up with anything since the last time we posted about this? @Springtail : Doc, I'm going to shoot you a PM. get back to me whenever you get a chance. I don't really have any crazy hard deadlines on this for anything, and It's becoming a project to keep me busy, and involved with Jeeps and fabrication so I don't lose my mind in the midst of every day life.
Sorry, I have not responded sooner....cold weather turned to flooding and we have been busy with other small catastrophes.....

Sadly, It does not look like this concept is gaining much support. I have kind of moved onto another project for a dash mount that is occupying most of my free time. I'll probably come back to this area once I get this current project on its way. Probably another month-6 weeks.

I am still a bit stumped about what to build a cubby for (or if even to build a cubby versus a decent mounting rack)....I'm not convinced that there will be much interest in having an ammo can sideways and protruding into the cargo area.

Maybe an epiphany will come to me??? Keep me posted as you experiment and let me know if I can help.

Doc

Dubeau9005

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2010 GMC Sierra 1500
Sorry, I have not responded sooner....cold weather turned to flooding and we have been busy with other small catastrophes.....

Sadly, It does not look like this concept is gaining much support. I have kind of moved onto another project for a dash mount that is occupying most of my free time. I'll probably come back to this area once I get this current project on its way. Probably another month-6 weeks.

I am still a bit stumped about what to build a cubby for (or if even to build a cubby versus a decent mounting rack)....I'm not convinced that there will be much interest in having an ammo can sideways and protruding into the cargo area.

Maybe an epiphany will come to me??? Keep me posted as you experiment and let me know if I can help.

Doc
If you do decide to build a storage box for this area (not an ammo can holder since those don’t appear to fit well), this is something I would definitely buy. Storage is very limited in these jeeps and with a baby on the way and a 95 lb dog which prevents me from installing a cargo security cover, any extra storage would be amazing. Following this post to stay updated on any progress if you do decide to try it out. If any way I can help out, let me know as well.

Sponsored

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
If you do decide to build a storage box for this area (not an ammo can holder since those don’t appear to fit well), this is something I would definitely buy. Storage is very limited in these jeeps and with a baby on the way and a 95 lb dog which prevents me from installing a cargo security cover, any extra storage would be amazing. Following this post to stay updated on any progress if you do decide to try it out. If any way I can help out, let me know as well.
I keep thinking that instead of a side rack/can holder or a drawer set up.....maybe a simple elevated platform would be the answer.

Maybe a framework that I could design with a template for a plywood platform that could be cut at your local lumber dealer. Simple and pretty inexpensive (probably).

I also have the itch to do a rear seat delete kit.

Doc

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
So, it's been a while, I figured I should update the post.

What did I come up with? I found out that the "Fat 50" cans I have my smelly tools and compressor in actually fit perfectly under the rear seat. I secured them with a ratchet strap to the lower seat frame. No moving, no rattling, and no smelly tools smell. When I fold the rear seat down (not often), I have to move them over a little, but they still on the floor and are fairly secure, or can be strapped down in the back.

So, there it is- problem solved, build simplified. I may come back to this at a much later time. but for now, I think this is going to work for the foreseable future.

What about the Hi-Lift jack? Still working on that one, but I've got a few ideas utilizing existing holes and a few 90 degree brackets/ wing nuts. this one is a little lower on the priority list right now though. When I do get it done, I'll probably end up posting in my build thread.

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I've been looking for a similar solution, but have only found smaller products such as the fishbone solution https://www.extremeterrain.com/fish...el-well-storage-bins-fb25100.html#productInfo

I did find one bag solution that might work, but still trying to determine if it would work with the new JL https://www.jeepswag.com/shop/shop/storage/dirt-bagz-black-jeep-jk-wheel-well-saddle-bags-kit/

Reaching out to a few vendors, so I'll reply for anyone still interested in this thread if I get any traction.

Otherwise, it'll have to be a custom built solution I guess...

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I've been looking for a similar solution, but have only found smaller products such as the fishbone solution https://www.extremeterrain.com/fish...el-well-storage-bins-fb25100.html#productInfo

I did find one bag solution that might work, but still trying to determine if it would work with the new JL https://www.jeepswag.com/shop/shop/storage/dirt-bagz-black-jeep-jk-wheel-well-saddle-bags-kit/

Reaching out to a few vendors, so I'll reply for anyone still interested in this thread if I get any traction.

Thanks! These are good finds. There was a fenderwell bin made from Molle grid posted earlier in the thread from another vendor. It was much cheaper, but not sure on quality.

As for using JK solutions: The dimensions of the seat changed between the JKU and the JLU. There is less room because (I believe) they raked the rear seatback back additionally, or moved the entire rear seat back a few inches to add rear passenger legroom.

The whole point to this post wasn't just storage- I solved that by moving some stuff around and using a Waterproof Kayak bag (pics in my build post), but also a solid and secure mounting point for a HiLift Jack that would keep it below the Tub rails, and behind the rear seat, so it doesn't interfere with passengers, safety, or take up too much cargo space. That said:

I used some angle bracket to build a mount for my Jackery 500

This is about half done, stupidly I didn't take a finished pic.

Jeep Wrangler JL Over the rear fender storage solutions? IMG_20200601_111200
This is almost the exact direction that I'm heading. Angle Iron, brackets, bolts, I have not had the chance to get the supplies yet. I will be sure to post pics when I finish.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Update: 48" HiLift with the base removed and bolted to the main beam fits under the rear seat and can be strapped down . it's a great "out of the way" solution for something I don't use that often.
Re-homed and organized a bunch of stuff. FYI: 48" HiLift fits under the rear passenger seat. So, that's where it lives now, strapped down with my tools and jumper cables.

So, No need for a jack rack, either. I am, however, thinking of getting some of those fender baskets eventually to clean up the back of the Jeep. I have a really crappy cargo net basket that looks horrible and gets in the way back there right now.

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase

Figured I'd update my solution. I have example pics here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ou-do-to-your-jeep-jl-today.3033/post-1225118

But, I found a combination of MPS Panels and Bags work perfect in the space if you're looking for soft storage.

This also gets you semi portable bags

MarkyMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon JLU 2.0t w/ eTorque & Moto Guzzi Griso
I’m curious if anyone has tried something like this?

Roll Bar Storage Bag Cage with Multi-Pockets Compatible for Jeep Wrangler JK JKU TJ ... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRYJLYL/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_i_CKpCFbQYR6ZYB

I know it says it works for the JLUbut I’m wondering on the size. If it worked it would be perfect for my needs. I already have the Xcargo for the back of the bars. This would flush out this “dead spot”.

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I’m curious if anyone has tried something like this?

Roll Bar Storage Bag Cage with Multi-Pockets Compatible for Jeep Wrangler JK JKU TJ ... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRYJLYL/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_i_CKpCFbQYR6ZYB

I know it says it works for the JLUbut I’m wondering on the size. If it worked it would be perfect for my needs. I already have the Xcargo for the back of the bars. This would flush out this “dead spot”.
OK, So I'm pretty sure these are the same ones my buddy has in his JK. he uses them and likes them.
I see a few issues with them, though:
First: if you leave the top down or the windows out, ,you run the risk of someone messing with them. If you're a hardtop only boy, no problems. I frequently run with the top down and windows out in the summer.
Second: strapping tools to the outside like that can be insanely dangerous as anything that isn't fully containted and/or secured can become a projectile in the event of an accident; be it on road or off road (rear end, roll over, doesn't matter).
Definitely something to consider if it will fit your use case because those are really nice- just please, don't strap your tools to the outside of the bag. Velcro and elastic can wear and that's when those tools will become a projectile.

flharleycop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2018 Ford Raptor, past 79 CJ5, 86 CJ7, 11 JKU
Occupation
Retired

Check these out, I just wish they came in OD green as my Jeep is Sarge green .

https://www.quadratec.com/p/overland-outfitters/sherpa-saddle-bag-pair-wrangler-jl
Sponsored