Over invoice

Hightide drifter

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler HighTide
In my search for my Jeep I couldn’t believe dealers are still charging way over invoice it was hard to find one and forget about the used market
Sponsored

Randolma

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler
We just ran into the same thing when buying ours.. The dealer said being the demand was high we needed to pay several thousand over the sticker price on the window.. We walked until we found a dealer that would sell at sticker price.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
We just ran into the same thing when buying ours.. The dealer said being the demand was high we needed to pay several thousand over the sticker price on the window.. We walked until we found a dealer that would sell at sticker price.
Vote with your feet! Excellent.

Sponsored

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
This is a capitalistic country... why is it surprising when dealers act in a capitalistic way? MSRP is just "suggested".

I feel like this group leans in the direction that favors this, but then gets upset when dealers try to take advantage of this.

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
It's just a supply & demand issue. Less supply + more demand = Higher Cost.

Thane

First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURXR, 10 FJ Cruiser
Just a little bit of planning will save thousands, even ten thousand... and specify the entire build.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
In my search for my Jeep I couldn’t believe dealers are still charging way over invoice it was hard to find one and forget about the used market
I have to wonder if you mean MSRP. I've bought all of my vehicles under MSRP, but under invoice has been difficult in most cases.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
This is a capitalistic country... why is it surprising when dealers act in a capitalistic way? MSRP is just "suggested".

I feel like this group leans in the direction that favors this, but then gets upset when dealers try to take advantage of this.
I generally am fine with supply/demand dictating prices. I’ll decide for myself whether to buy, wait, or seek a deal in another market at any given price (I did for my Mustang). However, if supply is so constrained I want extra revenue/profit going to the manufacturer to invest in more robust supply chains or innovative R&D. Right now most of it is going to the dealer. Those businesses have succeeded at “rent seeking” and broken the market by carving it up into little monopolies for new cars and warranty service. I cheer on Tesla and Ford electric even though I’ll probably never buy one of either because they’re seeking to break this model.
Dealers are basically scalpers. We generally don’t have access to reward companies with our money directly. Scalpers buy up the inventory, then sell us at “market price”. Dealers who successfully part customers from their cash make more money, but that money doesn’t go into anything that will make our next car purchase any better. Maybe a new showroom floor.
There’s more to it than this, but I am trying to keep this rant digestible.

Sponsored

Santana74

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Wrangler Sahara Altitude 3.0l, 18 Jaguar F-Pace

You hit the nail on the head. ......when dealers try to take advantage. I can play this too. My trade is worth over fair market value. I'm so glad I ordered my jeep through Gupton. I recieved 11-12% off MSRP.

Hernan

First Name
Hernan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 WRANGLER UNLIMITED RUBICON 4XE

Basic supply and demand. In any other situation if there's a car available for ten people seeking to buy, the highest bidder would get it. Even with the problems with supply chains and labor, you still have two options right now: shop around and buy from inventory or order and wait. You decide if the markup a dealer is charging is worth the 4, 6, 9 months you would wait to get the car otherwise.

OP
OP
Hightide drifter

Hightide drifter

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler HighTide
The Key is to be patient and shop, I had a friend who was a finance guy at a large Chevy dealer and he once told me their moto was “ There is a ass for ever seat “