Sponsored

Outside Temperature reading off by a lot & very slow to update...

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Over the past 2 weeks or so, I've noticed my outside temperature reading is off by quite a bit, which is typical when the car has been sitting in a garage, or in direct sunlight. But what I've noticed is that it takes much longer to update than it used to...

For example:
Yesterday morning, outside temperature was around 85, my garage was at 77 as indicated by my Jeep thermometer. However, while driving down the road, it took 2-3 miles before it finally updated (used to update almost immediately, but within 1/2 - 1 mile at most).
Yesterday afternoon, outside temperature was 90, Jeep was sitting in direct sunlight and read 116 at startup, drove 2+ miles before it started to update, then when it did finally acclimating to the actual temperature, it did so very rapidly (about 1 degree every 2 seconds). Prior to this, the temperature would change a degree every 10+ seconds or so.

Could this be an indication of another problem?
Could this cause other issues (besides activating a higher/lower fan speed on the A/C or Heater)?
Is this out of the norm for other Jeepers?

2019 JLUR w/39,612+ miles

Jeep Wrangler JL Outside Temperature reading off by a lot & very slow to update... IMG_3056.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Outside Temperature reading off by a lot & very slow to update... IMG_3055
Sponsored

garykk

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
Maybe the sensor is dirty.

LCW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(formerly '22 JLUR) '23 Bronco Badlands 2dr 2.7
I noticed mine would be really slow to update when rock crawling in Moab and Sand Hollow... low range, slow speeds, the underhood temps would get super hot (fan going full blast most of the time)... Once back to 4 high or 2 high, and getting up to normal speed, the temp would be correct... In daily driving, zero issues. So i'm thinking - at least in my case - that the sensor sort of craps out when the underhood temps are super hot.

OP
OP
JSFoster75

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

Mine is always higher, sitting in the 20 hour sunlight. It updates though eventually but don't pay much attention to it. It will read 90 when it is 80 or less out.

garykk

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
OP
OP
JSFoster75

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure on the JLs, but it should be up front behind the grille but in front of the radiator.
Okay, I'll look and see what I can find, I go through the car wash at least once per week, and haven't been mudding, etc. So I'm guessing it isn't dirty, maybe defective?

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
Global Slow Warming
Sponsored