Sponsored

Outside Temp reading & Compass

larrynjean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
I noticed yesterday when the outside temp was 95 my JL said it was 79 even parked in the sun...

Also the compass changes from N to S to E to W when not even moving...

Anyone else seeing this problem???
Sponsored

brewcrew

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Punk'n
I noticed yesterday when the outside temp was 95 my JL said it was 79 even parked in the sun...

Also the compass changes from N to S to E to W when not even moving...

Anyone else seeing this problem???
I have had this issue a few times. Have you found a solution?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Not to sound stupid, but you do realize that the outside ambient temperature display only updates itself after you've been driving a certain speed for a certain distance, right? Just wanted to make sure.

Yes if you've been driving down the road for a while and it's still doing that, you may need a new sensor. They're a breeze to swap out behind the grille.

brewcrew

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Punk'n
Not to sound stupid, but you do realize that the outside ambient temperature display only updates itself after you've been driving a certain speed for a certain distance, right? Just wanted to make sure.

Yes if you've been driving down the road for a while and it's still doing that, you may need a new sensor. They're a breeze to swap out behind the grille.
Thanks for that info. Unfortunately, I have had a few times that it was stuck at one temperature after several hours on the road. Sounds like i need to replace the sensor.

OP
OP

larrynjean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
I have had this issue a few times. Have you found a solution?
For the compass there is a recalibration setting in the compass menu...You need to select recalibration and YOU also need to drive in circles until it displays calibration complete...

My temp. setting seems to have fixed its self???

Sponsored

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Wow, we can't even trust the temperature reading now?

charitysteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Rubicon
My outside temp is saying 185 degrees and my ESS is now not working. Anyone experience that?

Djmatt85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
My outside temp is saying 185 degrees and my ESS is now not working. Anyone experience that?
Not sure where the temp sensor is on the JL, but sounds like the sensor wiring is broken. When it’s that hot, it may not allow ESS to function.

A lot of BMWs have the sensor in the underbody panel in front of the front tire. They’d get ripped of by pulling too far forward over parking blocks and cause the same issue.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Just because you Jeep is capable of going everywhere doesn’t mean that you should. Sounds like you are driving straight into the earth’s care toward hell. Turn around and go back!

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
This happens to me sometimes too. I'll turn my auto start when it's super cold but I still get in a cold Jeep since the thermostat says 51. Quickly drops once I get in though, but due to it thanking it's hot no seat or steering wheel warmers turn on. It never got above 51 on the days it does it and it always seems to be 51 when it does this.

Sponsored

Kallico

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL
For the compass there is a recalibration setting in the compass menu...You need to select recalibration and YOU also need to drive in circles until it displays calibration complete...

My temp. setting seems to have fixed its self???
Im stupid or something - how exactly do you get to the calibration menu for the compass?

Stuweeks

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
This happens to me sometimes too. I'll turn my auto start when it's super cold but I still get in a cold Jeep since the thermostat says 51. Quickly drops once I get in though, but due to it thanking it's hot no seat or steering wheel warmers turn on. It never got above 51 on the days it does it and it always seems to be 51 when it does this.
I’m having the exact same problem. Mine even says 50 degrees when it’s 25 out. Really makes me mad bc I bought the cold weather group specifically for that purpose since I park outside and it doesn’t work. Anyone have a fix? I feel this is unacceptable.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I’m having the exact same problem. Mine even says 50 degrees when it’s 25 out. Really makes me mad bc I bought the cold weather group specifically for that purpose since I park outside and it doesn’t work. Anyone have a fix? I feel this is unacceptable.
If you thought inaccurate temperature sensor was unacceptable, you’ve seen nothing yet.

Stuweeks

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
If you thought inaccurate temperature sensor was unacceptable, you’ve seen nothing yet.
Oh I have. My first JL was a lemon and I had to get it towed the night I bought it. I think it’s unacceptable they sold me a Cold Weather Package to heat my Jeep prior me entering and it doesn’t work.
Sponsored