Sponsored

Outer wheel balancing weights on Jeep Rubicon

BB 21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Took Jeep into dealer for first tire rotation and did not notice until returning home they removed the stylish new type of wheel balance weights on rims. They placed traditional clip on weights in back of tires. Disappointed they didn’t even ask about removing weights. Anyone able to tell me the difference between the outer new weights and the older inside balancing weights? Will they effect sandy off roading?
Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Are you saying they put the crimp on style weights on the outside edges of your wheels like this?
Jeep Wrangler JL Outer wheel balancing weights on Jeep Rubicon 1642971080587

I would have peeled a few of those off by now on the rocks.

OP
OP

BB 21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Are you saying they put the crimp on style weights on the outside edges of your wheels like this?
Jeep Wrangler JL Outer wheel balancing weights on Jeep Rubicon 1642971080587

I would have peeled a few of those off by now on the rocks.
Thanks for reply. But no ,Actually they placed them on the inside Which is better for rocky areas. I guess I was hoping they would replace with same weights that came off the factory which were an aluminum set of stick-on, I assume. Really not sure if factory placed weights on inside and outside of rims. I just know I’ve had a great ride for the first year and hoping rotation will not change my off road experience. Rubicon came with ex-large tires so I just assumed dealer used a dynamic rotation not static. But honestly I’m not sure. I’m a woman that spends a lot of time driving off-road and this is my first Jeep so hoping nothing changes both on and off road.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
I have two sets of factory tires/wheels and both sets have at least one with weights clipped to the inside lip. Just depends on the balance need of any particular combination of tire/wheel.
Gregj

Edit to add they all have the stick on weights too.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I mount and balance lots of tires. I like to not use the hammer on weights just because here in the NE, they rust and thus the wheel corrodes. That leads into a tire that needs to get refilled often. After that, I dismount it and then clean the rim.

What I do (plus did on my new Tactik wteel wheels I have on my Jeep) is to balance them with two planes. One is right behind the plane of the center section and the other is right by the inside part of the rim. I use stick on weights. If it's a black wheel then it gets black weights). So far, the hundreds I do per month work out fine with no vibration or comebacks. My Jeep literally rides smoother than with the OEM setup. Thus those will get rebalanced before they go back on in the spring.

Sponsored

OP
OP

BB 21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
I have two sets of factory tires/wheels and both sets have at least one with weights clipped to the inside lip. Just depends on the balance need of any particular combination of tire/wheel.
Gregj

Edit to add they all have the stick on weights too.
Thanks Greg for the info. I’m old school I guess because until this Jeep wheel weights on my vehicles have been clip ons usually on inside side of rim but these Jeep tires came with the stick on weights on edge of outside of the rim as well as a series of what looks like weights on the interior rim between the inside and outside of rim. Interiors are still there but only clip on weight on the inside of the rim is now on my wheels. I exclusively drive this Jeep and yes a lot of highway however I’m most concerned with off-road terrain as well. This 2021 Rubicon is so high performance and have had a really great ride so far just learning and hoping it remains the same. Vibrations or weights being knocked off is nothing I want to deal with. I’m a lady who doesn’t want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere with a slow ride home due to poor maintenance. I guess I will find out

OP
OP

BB 21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
I mount and balance lots of tires. I like to not use the hammer on weights just because here in the NE, they rust and thus the wheel corrodes. That leads into a tire that needs to get refilled often. After that, I dismount it and then clean the rim.

What I do (plus did on my new Tactik wteel wheels I have on my Jeep) is to balance them with two planes. One is right behind the plane of the center section and the other is right by the inside part of the rim. I use stick on weights. If it's a black wheel then it gets black weights). So far, the hundreds I do per month work out fine with no vibration or comebacks. My Jeep literally rides smoother than with the OEM setup. Thus those will get rebalanced before they go back on in the spring.
Wow thanks. This makes me feel somewhat better due to the fact I spend a lot of time in deep salty sand which could cause erosion. I do believe factory weights may have been aluminum though. They actually looked pretty sharp on the rim. Sure wish I was closer to your state to have you perform service because having a smooth ride on and off road is a huge priority for me. Keep up the good work.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Wow thanks. This makes me feel somewhat better due to the fact I spend a lot of time in deep salty sand which could cause erosion. I do believe factory weights may have been aluminum though. They actually looked pretty sharp on the rim. Sure wish I was closer to your state to have you perform service because having a smooth ride on and off road is a huge priority for me. Keep up the good work.
Here in the NE, it's a real problem with wheel corrosion between the bead and tire. Yesterday, I did two cars that came in with hammer on weights (a Tacoma and a Prius) and thus the tires were leaking around the weights.

As for hammer on weights, they are a steel tang attached to some sort of metal (steel, a zinc/steel alloy). Lead weights are gone. The factory ones have a steel tang and that's where the problem is. In the end, just not using hammer on weights will at least reduce the time it takes for the sealing surface to corrode. In our area, it's usually about 8 years and when someone is on a second set of tires.
Sponsored