First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lustmord.com
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU. It's a Jeep.
I'm preparing to buy my first Rubicon from Jim Marsh in Vegas and gathering together the correct info needed to register with DMV in CA.

Nerp posted this very useful info, does anybody with experience on bringing a new Wrangler into CA have any additional insight of things I should look out for or further paper I'll need?

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/socal-by-way-of-vegas.8801/#post-199603

Thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
I'll be doing the same thing soon. Hopefully someone who has recently purchased will chime in.

I believe you'll need to fill out registration paperwork. Take that and a smog certificate to the DMV. They'll inspect your vehicle and then charge you the necessary taxes and registration fees.

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Very interesting advice on your posted post , EXCEPT , what will you do if BOTH the dealer staff in Vegas AND the DMV staff in Cali are BOTH clueless and don't know which end is up ? ( answer below ) .

I have purchased vehicles IN CALI , and BOTH the dealer staff AND the DMV staff had problems with names on registration , addresses , timeliness of sending paperwork to DMV , etc.

The answer is you will drive back to the dealer in Vegas to straighten out their end .
Marsh has sold enough toout of state buyers they know how to do it.

MooseMob

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Mojito!
Occupation
Retired
Bit of a tangent...

I bought my first Rubicon in Las Vegas several years ago and right after registering it told I was transferred to California. At that time, CA had a law that if you bought a vehicle out of state and brought it to CA and attempted to register it, then that VIN could NEVER be registered in CA. There were exceptions like 7500 miles, registered in another State, etc. Having 50 State emmissions was *not* an exception although emmissions was the reason they gave for that law.

Is this law no longer in effect?

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Bit of a tangent...

I bought my first Rubicon in Las Vegas several years ago and right after registering it told I was transferred to California. At that time, CA had a law that if you bought a vehicle out of state and brought it to CA and attempted to register it, then that VIN could NEVER be registered in CA. There were exceptions like 7500 miles, registered in another State, etc. Having 50 State emmissions was *not* an exception although emmissions was the reason they gave for that law.

There’s no mention of that anywhere on the DMV site and many members have bought out of state successfully.

All CA wants is a 50 state legal vehicle and for you to provide emissions cert when you go to register and pay the taxes.

I’ve never heard of any such law. Maybe that was before the CA use tax was implemented? As it sits now CA makes the tax money no matter where you buy so they don’t care.

Sponsored

MooseMob

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Mojito!
Occupation
Retired
There’s no mention of that anywhere on the DMV site and many members have bought out of state successfully.

All CA wants is a 50 state legal vehicle and for you to provide emissions cert when you go to register and pay the taxes.

I’ve never heard of any such law. Maybe that was before the CA use tax was implemented? As it sits now CA makes the tax money no matter where you buy so they don’t care.
It was quite some time ago... The DMV clerk stopped me before I went to far and handed me had a paper explaining the rule and the exceptions, luckily I qualified for the exception. Since it was based on emmissions but having 50 State emmissions was not an exception, I assume it was to keep folks from doing what you are doing... And the Rubicon sticker price in CA were $5k - $7k higher for the same equiped in Las Vegas.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Bit of a tangent...

Are out-of-state vehicle purchases covered by the California LEMON LAW ?
Sponsored

Last edited: