Sponsored

Out-of-state purchasing. Making sure I don’t get screwed on taxes.

Pingbling23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 3.6 eTorque
Mike at mall of Georgia was excellent to work with. Took care of Tennessee ttl. Payed everything to them and had my tag mailed within a couple of weeks.

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Sounds all backwards to me. East coast is so different and simpler.

I live in NJ. I bought and picked up from dealership in NC. Dealership charged me NJ sales taxes and paid NJ directly. Dealership also filed all paperwork with NJ DMV. My purchase had nothing to do with NC taxes as I was registering the vehicle with NJ.

I wish I had a NC address because their sales tax is only 3%!!! NJ sales tax is 6.625%, plus (and I didn’t know this when I placed the order) there is an additional 0.4% luxury tax for vehicle costing $45k or more.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
So this is totally normal and acceptable? Just between NV, AZ and CA?
Totally normal, but not just with the states you mentioned. CA is gonna get their cut no matter where you buy. You will pay the difference between the tax rate in the state of purchase and the CA tax rate.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Sounds all backwards to me. East coast is so different and simpler.

I live in NJ. I bought and picked up from dealership in NC. Dealership charged me NJ sales taxes and paid NJ directly. Dealership also filed all paperwork with NJ DMV. My purchase had nothing to do with NC taxes as I was registering the vehicle with NJ.

I wish I had a NC address because their sales tax is only 3%!!! NJ sales tax is 6.625%, plus (and I didn’t know this when I placed the order) there is an additional 0.4% luxury tax for vehicle costing $45k or more.
Yeah I agree I wish it was more simple but I live in California and I guess this is the way it’s done between Nevada and Arizona. I think I got it figured out.

8A5D99AE-84E2-4E3E-B1E4-525E1FF0577A.png

Sponsored

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
Your dealer will collect from you 8.05% of purchase price as sales tax paid to AZ (including city and county). Out of this 8.05%, 1.75% is city/county sales tax, which is the portion not "reciprocal" with CA. The remainder 6.3% out of the 8.05% is "reciprocal" with CA.

When you bring the vehicle to CA to register, let's say your sales tax rate is 8.25%, you will pay CA 8.25% - 6.3% = 1.95%.

In essence, you will have paid 8.05% + 1.95% = 10% in sales tax on this deal.
does it make sense that you would pay the AZ local city and county taxes - that was the part I was questioning?

I guess a better way to say it - are you sure in CA they aren’t going to try and collect the county and city tax for where you live.

I know that within CA they base the county and city tax based on where you live, not the dealer location

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
does it make sense that you would pay the AZ local city and county taxes - that was the part I was questioning?

I guess a better way to say it - are you sure in CA they aren’t going to try and collect the county and city tax for where you live.

I know that within CA they base the county and city tax based on where you live, not the dealer location
The photo I posted above is tax based upon my state (CA) my county (orange) and my city (Brea). It looks like the difference I’ll be paying the CA DMV is around $1249 based on an 80K price tag.

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
The photo I posted above is tax based upon my state (CA) my county (orange) and my city (Brea). It looks like the difference I’ll be paying the CA DMV is around $1249 based on an 80K price tag.
Dude..I can't wait for you to get your 392.
OC here btw..South OC.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Dude..I can't wait for you to get your 392.
OC here btw..South OC.
Thanks brother I’m really stoked. Still have not seen a single 392 anywhere in Southern California. Maybe that’s because the ADM here is absurd. Seeing lots of 4Xe’s locally though.

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
Thanks brother I’m really stoked. Still have not seen a single 392 anywhere in Southern California. Maybe that’s because the ADM here is absurd. Seeing lots of 4Xe’s locally though.
Only one I've seen is the one Rebel Off Road shop rig.
Still stock last I saw it..they have plans no doubt.

Sponsored

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Only one I've seen is the one Rebel Off Road shop rig.
Still stock last I saw it..they have plans no doubt.
It’s so weird because there’s definitely units floating around and our market is huge but I haven’t seen any.

CpT Papa

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RUBICON 392
It’s so weird because there’s definitely units floating around and our market is huge but I haven’t seen any.
I have only seen 1 sting gray on the road in Laguna Niguel and the one at Rebel. We should plan a OC meet.:beer::beer::beer::beer:

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
I have only seen 1 sting gray on the road in Laguna Niguel and the one at Rebel. We should plan a OC meet.:beer::beer::beer::beer:
Yeah I’m totally down. As I’m getting older I just find myself going to work, going to the gym and chilling at home. That’s a great idea.

CJTJJK-JLNOW

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR ^2
Bought ours in Nevada in 18. Paid no taxes at purchase, paid in full at CA DMV. Had to get smogged, wait for paperwork to arrive at local DMV and get Vin inspection. With an appointment took less than an hour and walked out with plates in hand.
Sponsored