Sponsored

Out of State Purchase - Recommendations and Lessons Learned

jeeeeeeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
My girlfriend and I live in NV and each ordered from Gupton in Springfield, TN - 1800+ miles away.

Painless process, fantastic deal, and took a week to drive back stopping here and there as we wanted. Probably paid more in gas and hotels getting back than we would have paid to ship it, but there was no concern about what the transport was doing and got a vacation out of it.

She paid tax at the dealer, but received a check for the amount a week later - not sure what that was about, but sales tax payment is something to be aware of - as others have mentioned above.

Unfortunately/fortunately, our Jeeps didn't come in together and I'll have to make another trip out to get mine, but hey - another vacation, right?
Sponsored

jeeeeeeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So yesterday they were still working on the contract. Today I yet again have to pursue them after another day of dragging their collective asses to deliver it, the sales lead says whoops looks like we sold it 4 days ago. What in the actual @#$@#$. They just listed it 4 days ago. Yesterday I was preparing to fedex overnight the funds and they pull this shit. I now have a list of dealerships that nobody should work with.

I'm so done with hunting for a specific jeep build and working with dealerships. Is it really that hard for them to close on an all cash or financed deal?
Order from factory from a DIFFERENT DEALER. If they're willing to screw you on that, what else are they willing to screw you on? It may take a while, but if you've currently got a vehicle, that shouldn't be a problem.

Regarding the possible wait - my GF and I ordered 5/20 - hers was at the dealership in 12 days - mine has yet to be built.

I can't recommend Gupton enough - and I get nothing from them by saying that.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
This isn't anything new. Dealers would rather sell locally right then and there than drag out an out-of-state sale. I had several Porsche dealers sell a car out from under me within hours of me offering to place a deposit and finance through them. I finally ended up buying a very lightly pre-owned one from a Toyota dealer in Boston and had it shipped to Texas.

From what I've found, most dealers talk a big game about out-of-state purchases but very few will honor that if they have a buyer right there and then. Many dealers now won't even talk to you unless you are physically present for the deal. Sucks, but not surprising.

So yesterday they were still working on the contract. Today I yet again have to pursue them after another day of dragging their collective asses to deliver it, the sales lead says whoops looks like we sold it 4 days ago. What in the actual @#$@#$. They just listed it 4 days ago. Yesterday I was preparing to fedex overnight the funds and they pull this shit. I now have a list of dealerships that nobody should work with.

I'm so done with hunting for a specific jeep build and working with dealerships. Is it really that hard for them to close on an all cash or financed deal?

OP
OP

RowdySouth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR Mojito 6-speed, 2000 TJ (retired)
Regarding the possible wait - my GF and I ordered 5/20 - hers was at the dealership in 12 days - mine has yet to be built.

I can't recommend Gupton enough - and I get nothing from them by saying that.
Yeah, I keep hearing good things. What did y'all decide for your order?

jeeeeeeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I keep hearing good things. What did y'all decide for your order?
Mine -
Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Gecko Green
Dual Top Group
Cloth Seats
8.4-Inch Radio and Premium Audio Group
Trailer-Tow and Heavy-Duty Electrical Group
LED Lighting Group
Cold Weather Group
Remote-Start System
Remote-Proximity Keyless-Entry
3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel Engine & Automatic Transmission

Hers -
Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Bright White
Black 3-Piece Hardtop
Cloth Seats
8.4-Inch Radio and Premium Audio Group
LED Lighting Group
Cold Weather Group
Remote-Start System
Remote-Proximity Keyless-Entry
2.0L I4 DOHC DI Turbo Engine & Automatic Transmission

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
Picking up my 392 in Scottsdale AZ. Trying to think whether I should do taxes and registration myself for CA or “trust” the dealer to do it right for me.
if your dealing with a dealer who doesn’t regularly do out state sala, I would do it your self. The last used car I bought in CA was a little bit of nightmare, it had title issue (held by a bank vs electronic). CA DMV was trying to get me pay CA sales taxes to issue the title. their best interest isn’t always you best interest.
Sponsored