Out of state buyer, Taxes & tag confusion

OP
OP

JungleJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Forester, JLUR coming soon
So outta curiosity, how much are they off by? I bought mine locally and they still somehow overcharged me by $170. They mailed me a check for that much like 4 months later.
close to $300
Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
close to $300
I don't like to tell anyone what to do with their money, but you're talking about less than 1% of the total cost. I would just pay it and let them deal with all the paperwork assuming you'll get a refund for the difference from them within 2 weeks.

EnjoyLife

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado
All I'm saying is that it diminishes what you're actually saving, not to mention the other drawbacks... Like @ads75 said, what if something goes wrong? Are you prepared to not be able to drive it off the lot? What about engine break-in? That does sound like a nice trip but I'm not sure that's how I'd want to go about it.
There is only so much you can do to plan if something goes wrong. I guess it would depend on what that something is. But, if you go through life worrying about every little thing that can go wrong, you are not living life to the fullest.

If I cannot drive it off of the lot, I would work with the dealership on a solution. If it was something drastic, I would try to work it out with the dealership to ship the vehicle to my house in St. Louis, and then I would contact a rental car company and then continue my roadtrip.

Engine break-in: I will be keeping it in lower speeds around Washington DC. That will probably get us at least halfway to the initial 300 miles. Then I will just have to keep varying my speeds on the roadtrip home. After that, the car is broken in. I will not use cruise control until after the roadtrip.

The trip is definitely not for everyone. I am saving over $2,000 doing it this way and my wife will get to see Washington DC out of it (a trip that I told her that I would never take as there are lots of other things I would rather see before that...) Win Win for both of us.

Sponsored

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
It’s not crazy to fly halfway across the country and turn it into a road trip. We are going to see DC and some Smithsonians and other things. We will then drive through Kentucky and stop at some bourbon distilleries. The leaves may even be changing on our drive home. We are excited
Same here. Ordering from Idaho to road trip back to Texas with stops in Yellowstone, Vail, Durango area, and then Phoenix. Be a great fall trip.

gofastguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi 2019 WK Trailhawk 2015 Mustang GT
It’s not crazy to fly halfway across the country and turn it into a road trip. We are going to see DC and some Smithsonians and other things. We will then drive through Kentucky and stop at some bourbon distilleries. The leaves may even be changing on our drive home. We are excited
Sounds like a great plan to me. I guess some folks just don't understand the concept of a good roadtrip, the best part being that it is paid for by your savings. I actually enjoyed the convenience of online purchasing. I tried a couple local dealers and after playing the normal games (which inevitably involve hours at the salespersons desk) we were still 2K apart and I was frustrated and done with the games. Placed my order over the phone in about 20 minutes start to finish.

One additional benefit which I did not anticipate is that the local dealer is suddenly ready to deal with you seriously on your next visit when he knows you really will buy out of state. So i was able to get the wife's Trailhawk at a reasonable price a year later.

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
I bought my car at Crisswell. I would push hard for them not to take the money and do it on your own if you can. They botched it with mine. They sent a check to my motor vehicle place for too much money, enough that the MVC couldn’t give me a refund. It was at least $200 off. It took me a while to get this sorted out with a new check and lots of phone calls.

I got a good deal with them, but every person involved botched at least a little something and their finance guy outright lied to me and tried to avoid my emails so I wouldn’t get a refund on the bullshit add ons that he made sound like they were including for free. I had to write to the general manager of the dealership and threaten to give a bad response to the post sale survey to get a response.

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
I ordered a JLUR in Maryland and am flying out to pick it up next week, but I'm confused about the tax and title fees. In my state, Iowa we pay the sales tax, registration, and title fees at the local county treasures office. Last time i bought a car from a dealer out of state, I explained this, they verified it, and then they waived all of those fees, and then I went and paid them like i mentioned above. I called my local office with the new Jeep VIN to find out exactly what those fees are, and they don't match up to what the dealer is telling me. Dealer won't listen to me when it comes to the amount which i know is 100% accurate. They keep referring to some database where they get their info, and on on top of that they are telling me two things. One is they collect those fees there, and then cut me a check two weeks later (can't tell me for how much exactly), but they are also talking about paying the fees. It's all very confusing and all i know is I should only be paying for purchase price and doc/processing fee. Not sure what to do. Any suggestions?
Honestly, it depends on the state and dealership you are buying from. I live in AZ, however, I have purchased two Wranglers in Denver. The dealership in the first transaction collected the appropriate TTL for AZ so all I had to do was wait for the tags to arrive in the mail. My most recent purchase in May was very different. The dealership had a policy of collecting no TTL on out of state deals which left me standing in line to cut a $2700 check to ADOT. The state did recognize there was a trade involved otherwise the check would have been $4400.

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
I ordered a JLUR in Maryland and am flying out to pick it up next week, but I'm confused about the tax and title fees. In my state, Iowa we pay the sales tax, registration, and title fees at the local county treasures office. Last time i bought a car from a dealer out of state, I explained this, they verified it, and then they waived all of those fees, and then I went and paid them like i mentioned above. I called my local office with the new Jeep VIN to find out exactly what those fees are, and they don't match up to what the dealer is telling me. Dealer won't listen to me when it comes to the amount which i know is 100% accurate. They keep referring to some database where they get their info, and on on top of that they are telling me two things. One is they collect those fees there, and then cut me a check two weeks later (can't tell me for how much exactly), but they are also talking about paying the fees. It's all very confusing and all i know is I should only be paying for purchase price and doc/processing fee. Not sure what to do. Any suggestions?
Very simply put, we use the same system for years. It's called DMV nationwide and it gives us a very close guess as to how much your fee's will be. That being said, it is a NIGHTMARE for a dealership to undercharge for these items and have go back later and as you for more money. So, we over charge slightly and then refund the difference in a few weeks. this helps to streamline the process for everyone involved.

I've been selling for 20 years... I know what I'm talking about. Let the dealer over charge a bit and you will get it refunded, nothing shady going on here.

edit: and no offense to anyone here, but half the posts above are wrong... follow my advice and you will be good.

Sponsored

jack0351

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys, 2013 Ram 3500, 2000 HD FXST,
Engine break-in during OPs road trip in DC- Between the speed limits and the traffic, he will have no problem putting 500 miles in under 55 and varying his speed. DC area is known for having the worst traffic in the country.

Good luck, and have fun!

7below

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Bought my Jeep in Wisconsin and live in IL. Luckily it was only 2 hours into Wisco so they had dealt with the issue before and had IL tags on hand. That being said the car I had before the Wrangler I bought further away in Wisconsin and the dealer gave me the option of adding the tax/title/license fees to the loan and them cutting me a check or just letting me handle it on my own in IL. I chose to handle it on my own in IL and just went to the local license place when I got back to pay the fees. Not sure how the Maryland dealer is getting the fees wrong. All of that info is publicly available and at worst a phone call to the DMV would get them the exact info. Although, I used to work as an insurance adjuster and when people would submit their tax/title/license reimbursements on total losses I would see dealers charge the new license plate fee when someone was transferring their old plates. Which seems like a dumb way to make $60 extra bucks as a dealer and potentially make someone mad.

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Here is an interesting YT video by a Michigan lawyer - Steve Lehto. In it explains that there are some situations if you buy a motor vehicle out-of-state you won't be covered by a 'lemon law' in either the state where you bought the Jeep or the state in which you live.

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
Some dealers user a third party service who has to go out and see what the appropriate taxes/fees are for your local area and take care of paying it. I live in South Carolina and bought a new Ford in Tampa, FL last year. Similar to what you mentioned - they overcharged by a few hundred bucks to make sure there was enough there to cover everything - about six weeks after buying the car I got a check back for the difference. So the situation is not unheard of.

I tried to just pay everything locally myself - that particular Ford dealership had a policy of not allowing this - you may run into the same thing.

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
Some dealers user a third party service who has to go out and see what the appropriate taxes/fees are for your local area and take care of paying it. I live in South Carolina and bought a new Ford in Tampa, FL last year. Similar to what you mentioned - they overcharged by a few hundred bucks to make sure there was enough there to cover everything - about six weeks after buying the car I got a check back for the difference. So the situation is not unheard of.

I tried to just pay everything locally myself - that particular Ford dealership had a policy of not allowing this - you may run into the same thing.
if you finance or lease, the dealer is required by the bank to collect tax, tag and title. If you pay cash, they are not required to.
Sponsored