Out of Ideas on a Right hand pull

Mitchherm

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Guys, I need help! I'm a mechanic, just bought a JLUR (2018) and am getting my butt kicked trying to figure out this right hand pull issue... I've read every thread on here about the same issue and can't come up with a solution. I bought it with 317/70/17's and it pulled to the right slightly but wasn't horrible. I now threw Toyo M/T's 37/12.5/17 on it and its bad. Flat road, crowned road, anything over 55 its 3 seconds and in the next lane or ditch. I got it aligned and toe was out but got that centered and it didn't really do much. Caster is the one i'm trying to figure out, after talking with metal cloak on some LCA's he doesn't think that's the issue either. its 3.7 on left and 3.8 on right.. I'd like to get to 6-6.5 but I don't see how that can cause a pull. I know these tires have radial pull, but there is no way its this dramatic. PLEASE help. Any advise or wisdom anyone can give. Had confidence as a mechanic until this issue has taught me I apparently do not know as much as i thought :)
Sponsored

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
Guys, I need help! I'm a mechanic, just bought a JLUR (2018) and am getting my butt kicked trying to figure out this right hand pull issue... I've read every thread on here about the same issue and can't come up with a solution. I bought it with 317/70/17's and it pulled to the right slightly but wasn't horrible. I now threw Toyo M/T's 37/12.5/17 on it and its bad. Flat road, crowned road, anything over 55 its 3 seconds and in the next lane or ditch. I got it aligned and toe was out but got that centered and it didn't really do much. Caster is the one i'm trying to figure out, after talking with metal cloak on some LCA's he doesn't think that's the issue either. its 3.7 on left and 3.8 on right.. I'd like to get to 6-6.5 but I don't see how that can cause a pull. I know these tires have radial pull, but there is no way its this dramatic. PLEASE help. Any advise or wisdom anyone can give. Had confidence as a mechanic until this issue has taught me I apparently do not know as much as i thought :)
$200 synergy Trac bar bracket reinforcement with sector shaft stabilizer. other than that ive had no major issues with steering, besides it liked to wander quite a bit before installing this. now, tighter than a frogs... well you get it.

IMG_20200101_131343_781.jpg

OP
OP

Mitchherm

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
$200 synergy Trac bar bracket reinforcement with sector shaft stabilizer. other than that ive had no major issues with steering, besides it liked to wander quite a bit before installing this. now, tighter than a frogs... well you get it.

IMG_20200101_131343_781.jpg
That was on my list to do, but more for wandering. Think that could help the pull ? I’m leaning pretty heavy to these Toyos having a hard radial pull.

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
That was on my list to do, but more for wandering. Think that could help the pull ? I’m leaning pretty heavy to these Toyos having a hard radial pull.
i really only considered mine as wandering till i saw your post and thought about it, mine wandered most often to the right so that is why i posted a response. this thing tightened things up very nicely, so much so that i can drive with my knees now if you know what i mean. im running 35" BFG M/T's so similar to the Toyos, which ive run before also, with no issues or noticeable differences.

Sponsored

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
Toyo MTs are very well know for radial pull to the right. I also had same problem with STT pros. No alignment adjustments could fix it, finally swapped out tires with different brand and no more pull. Can try to cross rotate and see if it changes but likely won’t. Try swapping tires with buddy, see what happens. My Bet is Toyo MT radial pull after hearing so many similar complaints. Best of luck

X99104

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR, 88 YJ, 78 CJ-7 304
Take a look at your alignment sheet. Does it show a thrust angle that isn't close to 0.0? If so I may have a solution for you. My thrust angle was -0.37 and although aligned it would wander/pull like crazy. Turns out I had an issue with the axles not being square under the Jeep.
Here is my fix.
I used a vertical 2x4 against the tire with it leveled side and front and measured back to the fender. I measured this on both sides front and rear. I found that my rear axle sits .5" to the drivers side. I don't have an adjustable rear track bar so there was nothing I could do there. Up front I found my axle was .5" to the passenger side. I have a Steer smart adjustable up front. Adjusted the front to roughly the same offset as the rear (0.5" to the drivers) and got it realigned. Thrust angle dropped to 0.04 and it doesn't wander with the 37s.
May not be the most precise way of fixing the issue but it worked.
I wish you luck.
Andy

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Is the steering stabilizer stock or aftermarket? There's been some reports of lightly pressurized dampers that result in right side pull. If swapping tire locations doesn't change things, try pulling the stabilizer and take a test drive to see if it still pulls.

OP
OP

Mitchherm

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Toyo MTs are very well know for radial pull to the right. I also had same problem with STT pros. No alignment adjustments could fix it, finally swapped out tires with different brand and no more pull. Can try to cross rotate and see if it changes but likely won’t. Try swapping tires with buddy, see what happens. My Bet is Toyo MT radial pull after hearing so many similar complaints. Best of luck
I’m fairly certain that’s what the cause is. My axles are slightly pulled to the passenger side but after lowering the tire pressure in the Toyos it’s helped a lot. She seems to just pull with the crown, on a flat surface the pull is minimal.

Thanks for all the help Gents!
Sponsored