Out of commission due to cold

missionale

First Name
Jeepie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Battery issues - it is not water within your tires from adding air - but sometimes snow/ice can build up on the rim causing imbalance - I used to have that a lot with the stock rims in MN with my '98 Cherokee during severe cold -

OP
OP
omnitonic

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
...put my dog down at Thansgiving Michael @omnitonic. Doing so was as necessary for the animal as it was heartbreaking for my family. I'm sorry for your loss.
The good thing is nobody saw it coming, and I don't think she did either. She never acted like anything was bothering her, other than arthritis. Until she did, of course, but then it was only a matter of hours.

I haven't been without a dog in my adult life, and this is so weird. I never finish the last bite of anything. I always feed it to the dog. I've been in the den for a couple of hours, and I went looking for the dog four times. I forget she's never coming back.

This is not the first time I lost a dog. I know the medicine my soul needs. It's just a matter of finding the right dog, and there isn't much out there in rescue world these days. Lots of pitbulls. Hundreds and hundreds of pitbulls.

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
It's been said. If you don't have eTorque, it's batteries. Sorry to hear about the pup, and try to have a Merry Christmas.

G.

Albertaktm

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys 2 Door Manual.
Occupation
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Battery issues - it is not water within your tires from adding air - but sometimes snow/ice can build up on the rim causing imbalance - I used to have that a lot with the stock rims in MN with my '98 Cherokee during severe cold -
There is no way there is any water in the tires. Itā€™s probably on the. Inside of the rim. Pooled then froze. Even beading up and froze but youā€™re not getting past the tire rim seal.

Sponsored

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Modern vehicles with all their electronic complexities are a pain in the assā€¦ Iā€™m another vote for checking the batteries. Itā€™s possible to have plenty of juice to brightly light every light in the jeep, but still not have enough power to prevent bizarre and frustrating misbehavior.

Sorry for your loss. Dogs are better than people, and losing them is awful tough. I donā€˜t recover from that quickly, but it helps to know thereā€™s another wonderful dog out there that needs a friend as much as you do.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
That's the one. It doesn't detect ice, it assumes ice after trying strategies to move a throttle plate that isn't responding as expected. If the throttle plate isn't doing what the throttle positioning sensor is telling it to do.

Water could have gotten into the connector and frozen and pulled it apart a little, causing an electronic issue. Water could have been present inside the air intake itself, causing a mechanical issue. Throttle was gimped by the computer to avoid engine damage.

If there was water in the intake, it was from humidity. I've put the intake through hell romping through waist deep mud puddles, so I know the rain didn't get in. Could there be enough humidity for the resulting frost to impede the butterfly, mechanically? Seems unlikely to me.

It's interesting to look at the math. I never did that before. I know it's possible to get enough water into a tire to cause problems, because I've seen it with my own eyes as a tire tech. How it got there in those cases, I cannot say for sure.

I think you're being optimistic in your figuring though. It's not just humid air, it's actual water too. I have, at times, blown enough raw water out of the air hose that I could "spray paint" with it. I've taken steps to try to minimize this problem, but I have no doubt I've blown a little water into those tires, in addition to whatever condensed out of humid air to add to the volume. It wasn't just one filling either, but a blast of water every time I aired the tires back up. I think it could have added up to enough water to cause the imbalance.

Maybe not though. You are totally correct to point out that it would take a LOT of water to notice. These things had like 7 oz. of weight on them, and most of it fell off, and I never noticed that.

It would probably take something like a pound of water to cause a really serious imbalance, and that would be something like two cups or 0.5 L.

I admit, it doesn't seem likely, no matter how many times I aired up.

If there had been slush on the road, that could have explained it. Slush frozen into nooks and crannies can cause horrific imbalance problems. That wasn't the case here though.

I dunno. It warmed up to 15Ā°F today, and the Jeep drove fine. I'm hoping this whole scenario was a freak thing from getting massively wet and then dropping 32Ā°F over a short time. But I should go get the batteries checked, or just go ahead and buy new ones. Factory batteries are usually junk.

Good time to give serious thought to replacing the stupid aux battery with a real battery. I do NOT have a budget right now though. Medical bills, taxes, I finally paid to divorce my ex, and I am really tapped out just now.
This is another benefit of our new electronic complexity. From time to time our jeeps will go into electronic epilepsy, and throw a bunch of unrelated codes to scare the shit out of you. Then, after several fruitless attempts to figure out what it was tying to tell you, it will spontaneously resolve and operate perfectly. My buddyā€™s diesel did this about ten weeks ago. Not a peep since. My jeep has done it only once, about a year ago. Itā€™s not a big deal when it happens in the driveway or just a few miles from home, but it sure erodes confidence when you're thinking about a long trip across the desert.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Sorry about losing you dog. They become part of our lives. You ā€œmayā€ have a tire that has flat spotted (low pressure, super cold weather). Sounds like youā€™ve also picked up a lot of water somewhere. Any chance of parking this guy in a heated garage for a few hours to ā€œthawā€? Iā€™d definitely try that first. Also put a trickle charger on the battery. Your Jeep definitely should not have the problems youā€™ve had just because it got cold. Mines just went through the coldest weather itā€™s seen (-8F) with zero issue-just as Iā€™d expect it to.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Itā€™s definitely not caused by ice inside the tires unless you literally filled them with a water hose.

If you want to waste a bunch of time and energy indulging your own theories here, have at it, but that isnā€™t the problem at all.

Giant lumps of ice inside the wheels beating up the wheel speed sensors is another thing.

Sponsored

OP
OP
omnitonic

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
On the dog front, it seems cruel and cheap on some level, but the only way to get over a death is a new life. I had been looking for Foofy's successor for a year, because she was old. I tried countless Great Dane rescues, who all refused me for one reason or another. I tried countless breeders, who all refused me for one reason or another.

I found a reasonable breeder. He had a couple dozen dogs, and they all flocked to me, because DOGS KNOW. This guy had no problem meeting me on Christmas Day, and I put the Jeep through its paces on a four hour road trip.

This is Daphne, a purebred Great Dane merle, and the first dog in my 50 year life I ever paid for. I was afraid she would not adapt well to life with me, having been pulled away from her parents and siblings and the half dozen other random dogs were all part of her life, but she's settling in, and figuring out that being THE dog has its own advantages.

Look at those comparatively gigantic little feet! She will grow into them!

Jeep Wrangler JL Out of commission due to cold 1672051804718

wycomike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Ecodiesel
I went to run some errands Friday evening, to hit everywhere before stores started closing for the holiday. It was 0Ā°F at the time, and the Jeep had been sitting for about eight hours. I didn't give the cold much thought with a 2021 JLU with the Pentastar. Modern, fuel-injected engines have been reliable at all temperatures for years.

I put the Jeep in gear, pulled out, and started noticing trouble when I hit second gear. I had a serious wheel imbalance. I must have gotten water inside one or more of the tires with my portable air compressor. Remember the thread when I asked what people do to avoid that problem, and everybody said don't worry about it?

I'm thinking the imbalance made the computer unhappy. I'm hoping that's all I'm dealing with. I turned onto the highway, and the Jeep went into limp mode. The dash lit up with all sorts of warnings about traction control and something else, and the check engine light came on. No throttle response. Top speed 15 mph. At idle, the engine races, then slows down, then races, and it sounds like it's misfiring horribly.

I ended up coming home by off-roading through a series of businesses that aren't supposed to be connected. At least it could still negotiate a drainage ditch and similar obstacles in this condition. I fired up the 1977 Ford F350 with the 390 FE (retrofit, not original to the truck), and while the starter sounded weak as a new born kitten, the damn thing actually fired up, and I managed to get it warmed up and run all my errands without stalling it out or shutting it off. Score one for the 45 year old Ford.

I am rather less impressed with my $60,000 Nopar.

The first order of business today is I'm going to go jack the damn thing up and take the wheels off and bring them inside to thaw. Then I will try to suck the water out. I'm going to run the codes with J-Scan now that it's a balmy 15Ā°F out there, and maybe I can figure out something to do about the rest of these problems. Maybe.

It was raining like hell when I parked the Jeep in the wee hours of Friday morning. I figure the combination of salty rain getting driven into every nook and cranny, followed by an impressive plunge in temperature must have caused something bad to happen somewhere. It would be anything. I hope like crazy this thaws out and goes away without a tow truck to the dealership, because I'm pretttttyy sure I'm going to be fucked on that score. Their shop will be closed for the entire weekend, and it's always seriously overbooked, with long wait times for appointments.

Here goes nothing. I always wanted to take four wheels off a Jeep in deep freezing temperatures. Yay!

Oh, and Jeep Dog died Thursday. This Christmas sucks. Bah humbug!
Quick question, does your portable air compressor also have "fix-a-flat" in it? If so, that may be your issue for the imbalance (ask me how I know šŸ™„).

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
Oh, and Jeep Dog died Thursday. This Christmas sucks. Bah humbug!
...put my dog down at Thansgiving Michael @omnitonic. Doing so was as necessary for the animal as it was heartbreaking for my family. I'm sorry for your loss.
so sorry to hear about your dogs, guys. i miss my dogs more than i miss most people i've known.

This is Daphne, a purebred Great Dane merle, and the first dog in my 50 year life I ever paid for. I was afraid she would not adapt well to life with me, having been pulled away from her parents and siblings and the half dozen other random dogs were all part of her life, but she's settling in, and figuring out that being THE dog has its own advantages.

Look at those comparatively gigantic little feet! She will grow into them!

1672051804718.png
congrats on Daphne. she's going to be a big girl!

Cyclrder

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JKU Rubicon, S213E63S, 997.2TTMT
just go and replace the battery... you can actually go a little larger if you like (my battery went whilst my wife and daughter where in Princeton NJ looking at schools... she got a jump and off she went.) I bought the biggest and best at AutoZone....But while this unfolded she had all kinds of lights on the dash. Sorry about the dog... and you don't have ice in your wheels...

OP
OP
omnitonic

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
so sorry to hear about your dogs, guys. i miss my dogs more than i miss most people i've known.

congrats on Daphne. she's going to be a big girl!
I loved Reina with all my heart, and I will never be able to remember her without a tear in my eye. It's hard to be sad when I have such great times ahead. Reina was an amazing dog, and everybody loved her, but Daphne is probably even more amazing, and everybody loves her too. They're both great dogs. I'm going to enjoy my time with Daphne.

And at that exact moment, I glance down to see she chewed the end off some electrical cord.

Puppies.

Everybody says they wish dogs could stay puppies forever, but I don't. I'm looking forward to when she's the size of a pony, and more calm.
Sponsored